• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Iosue

Legend
Also courtesy of Mearls, this article on the new logo:
'Dungeons & Dragons' Celebrates 40th Anniversary With Fiery New Logo

ampersand-dnd.jpg

Osgood

Hero
So half of them, then?

I'd call it a third.
  • OD&D (won't count it, since it was the original)
  • 1E
  • 2E * (though the '95 reprints don't mention an edition either)
  • BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia
  • 3.5 *
  • 4.0 (One could argue the Essentials, but I wont)

Staggered release. Hah!

These kids today think a few months is too long to wait for a complete core set. Back in the day, AD&D was released at a rate of ONE CORE BOOK A YEAR! You played with what you had and you liked it. :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd call it a third.
  • OD&D (won't count it, since it was the original)
  • 1E
  • 2E * (though the '95 reprints don't mention an edition either)
  • BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia
  • 3.5 *
  • 4.0 (One could argue the Essentials, but I wont)

So discounting OD&D,a s the first of anything can't have an edition number:

1E's edition was "Advanced"
BECM and I all had edition names
2E didn't
3E didn't
3.5 had the edition number
4E didn't
Essentials did, but I'll agree that's not worth counting

So I make that 3 with editions, 3 without.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
2e & 3e were both staggered releases iirc. And one edition was intended to be staggered but player demand prior to release meant that it was changed to "all at once", though I can't remember if that was 3.5 or 4.

D&D4 was a simultaneous release because we freaked out like rabid weasels all over the Wizards forums. In retrospect, though, the DMG has changed a lot in 10 years and I don't think a staggered release is that big a deal anymore. I will say this, though:

*removes fan hat, dons editor hat*

From Mearls on twitter: ". @ Wild mikebennett PH/MM/DMG releases were split because stacking them causes big quality issues, a la the 4e errata. Too much work at once."

Come on, simultaneous releases don't cause quality issues. Not starting your development and publishing process early enough causes quality issues.

*removes editor hat, dons fan hat*

SO EXCITED OMG.

Does anyone recognize the artists involved? I can't pick up on who did these covers.

Rise of Tiamat, at least, is definitely Komarck. The others could be his but it is hard to tell at such low resolution.

Remove ads