D&D 5E Merlin and Arthur or Batman and zatana

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
yes and I am 100% of the belief that all of these heroes need connections. It's why I am pro MJ pete being married and pro Bruce and Selena . (I can be argued that OTHER relationships instead of teh ones I ship but they need something) they also all need friends. the Bruce Clark friendship is great but Clark needs Jimmy and Bruce needs someone too.
I think its easy to see Bruce as the mask that the Dark Knight uses he is too much engaged in the unreal I am a playboy philanthropist of questionable repute, for relationships to usually work.... Selena if he can be Bruce with her is not bad

Fanaelialae

Legend
Most recent data I can find (Dec 2020) has 8% playing wizards, same as barbarians and clerics and tied for 4-6th place behind fighters (13%), rogues (11%), and warlocks (9%). Still higher than bard, sorcerors, rangers, paladins (all at 7%), and druids (the least popular class at 6%).

So warlocks are more popular, but it's not quite accurate to say nobody wants to play a wizard, and in fact it's one of the more popular full casters.
Keep in mind that even taking the D&D Beyond data at face value, that doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

13% fighters / 8% wizards is for all players. A large portion of whom appear to be free users, given that around 40% of those users chose champion, and evocation as their respective subclass. However, last I checked the free version didn't contain all PHB spells, meaning that free DDB wizards (and other casters) are significantly weaker and less versatile than their PHB counterparts.

Simply look at the data for users who have all options unlocked (Top Sub w/o Multiclass). Suddenly Fighter drops down to 12% while Wizards jump up to 10%. The Fighter admittedly does still show a lead, but by nowhere near the same margin of the free dataset. You could attribute this to wizard being a less popular choice for multiclassing than the fighter. It could also be that when all options are unlocked, wizards are far more competitive with fighters in terms of popularity on DDB. It could very well be a combination of factors, including those I haven't considered here.

Unfortunately, we don't know. It's interesting data, but we don't really have enough information on their methodology to do more than intuit potential correlations, IMO. Frankly, it would be nice if they released a more comprehensive dataset along with their methodology, but I doubt we'll see anything like that anytime soon.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Batman did fight Darkseid one time with a super suit the Justice League helped him build, and he had an anti-Justice League suit he used successfully against a good chunk of the League when they were mind controlled by the Joker.

I guess writers don't wanna turn him into Iron Man witht he suits all the time, but these are a reasonable explanation on why he could fight the super beings way above his level. On D&D terms, I guess it'd be like the Fighter who's not super powerful himself but has 37 magic items to make him keep up, but then it ends up looking like the items matter more than the one using them, at least Batman has a hand on making most of his stuff, even if he gets help.

I think the Hellbat kind of proves the point though. The writers couldn't have Batman do the thing, he had to be given a temporary boost in a magical set of god-armor infused with the power of the entire league.

Meanwhile, Superman just flies through the portal and starts fighting.

And it leads to exactly the problem you point out, it is the ITEMS that matter and are powerful, not the wielder of those items. Anyone is a threat if they are using 37 powerful magic items, it doesn't matter who your character actually is.

Ironically, the Joker has defeated and mind controlled Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman in one go off-screen. He's busted sometimes.

Poison Ivy has also mind controlled Superman, and I think Riddler once beat the Injustice League by himself. Comics are wacky.

Comics are wacky, and they usually handwave things. Notably, Joker had to win off-screen. Because if he didn't, then they would have to answer how he could pull it off.

I'd forgotten about Ivy, she is one of the only Batman villains who punches in the weight class needed to fight some of the other members of the Justice League

Voadam

Legend
I wouldn't disagree with that analysis. The point is "powerful guy beats weak guy" doesn't make a very good story, so is rarely written about. It's one of the ways fiction differs fundamentally from real life (and tabletop RPGs).
I think it is more commonly framed as "Hero fights monster and wins"

Strong knight slays dragon.

Strong Beowulf kills Grendl.

Strong Batman beats Superman/villain.

I think that is a pretty good match up to D&D.

Party of Heroes defeat monster.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I think its easy to see Bruce as the mask that the Dark Knight uses he is too much engaged in the unreal I am a playboy philanthropist of questionable repute, for relationships to usually work.... Selena if he can be Bruce with her is not bad
I mean, she'd be a bad influence on a real person in the same situation. What's good for the fictional character and what's good for the stories are two different things. The most emotionally healthy thing for Bruce Wayne to do would be to move past his trauma (therapy, whatever) and stop being a vigilante. But that would end the comic book.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I can only give anecdotal evidence, with a little support from the official statistics, but I find players simply don't want to play wizards. Someone ends up playing one, only because they are strong, so the group feel they need one.

Now, it's open to debate if that is a positive or not. Maybe you feel the game would be better without wizards?
As Fanaelialae said--what on earth gave you the notion that I wanted to remove the Wizard? I want a game that purports to be about peers adventuring together, a game that presents different classes (and races) as being equally-valid options, to actually have those options be on a par with one another, up to a reasonable standard (generally, one coming from statistical analysis, to avoid various biases and outliers.) Given that caster supremacy has been an issue for literally decades at this point* for at least a meaningful minority, enough that even Paizo, torchbearers for the crème de la crème caster-supremacy edition, explicitly said, "We cannot solve this problem without rewriting the system on a fundamental level" (when asking for patience and open-mindedness from their audience about PF2e), yes, I really do think there's an ongoing issue here, one that still hasn't been properly addressed. Half-hearted efforts have plagued D&D and its descendants for ages.

*Other than 4e.

It doesn't matter how many times you state it, repetition does not make something true.

It is my opinion that "fun" is the only thing that matters in game design. I won't bother to repeat it ad nauseum, because that wouldn't make it anything other than an opinion.
This is like saying that "taste" is the only thing that matters in baking. It is a useless standard; to tell someone "make your cupcakes yellow and fluffy" is pointless, because that doesn't give them the slightest bit of information they didn't already have. To say that "'fun' is the only thing that matters in game design" is like saying "the only thing that matters in science is being correct" or "the only thing that matters in ethics is right behavior." Yes, ultimately, the goal of science is to advance knowledge by empirical adequacy, and the goal of ethics is to guide us toward right behavior, but those are not standards by which we can judge individual theories. They are reasons for which one should reject a theory for being bad, NOT reasons for which one should accept a theory. You can be correct for the wrong reasons, which is still bad science, even if it leads to empirical adequacy. Newton's laws, for example, are objectively false, provably so, and yet they were still good science because they grew out of good standards. Those standards are how we aim toward the goal of "being correct."

Good design needs more than "fun." "Fun" is the prerequisite for us to even consider whether to use something. It is not the point at which we say "ah, good job everyone, no more work is needed."

Hence the asterisk. I don't believe that is an absolute. I allow for exceptions.
And I--as stated above--don't expect perfection. I expect balance within a reasonable range, one defined by statistical analysis, which is easy to do (if you can gather enough data) for a game like D&D that is built on numbers and probability.

So who's the one dealing in absolutes here?

Repeating the same faulty argument doesn't make it true. What, exactly is a better standard? Why would people play a game that wasn't fun? It's a game. I play because I enjoy it. I can't imagine spending my free time playing if I wasn't having fun.
Again, you are projecting a completely false idea into this. I didn't say "fun" is wrong. I said it is a bad standard. Because it is. A game that isn't fun doesn't deserve to exist. Only games that are fun should ever be allowed to get to the point of testing them. Just as scientific theories that are demonstrably wrong should never reach the point of experimental design. The point of evaluative standards within game design, as it is within science, is to pick between things that are already plausibly effective, but which have not yet been truly put through their paces to find any unforeseen issues. And the standards at that point cannot be "fun," because it is a waste of everyone's time to test a game that simply isn't fun at all (unless, as stated, you're trying to develop weapons of psychological warfare--being able to force someone to stop experiencing joy for a while would be a powerful psychological weapon.)

Statistical testing enables improvement of games that are already fun.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I think it is more commonly framed as "Hero fights monster and wins"

Strong knight slays dragon.

Strong Beowulf kills Grendl.

Strong Batman beats Superman/villain.

I think that is a pretty good match up to D&D.

Party of Heroes defeat monster.
Beowulf is a bit of an outlier here because, well, he basically has no faults and never struggles with anything, but that's also because the Anglo-Saxon and Norse sagas weren't exactly....stories as we would understand them in the modern sense. Myths, legends, and folklore tend to need a lot of polish before they become "stories" proper.

The other two are pretty clearly "clever underdog" stories though. The knight goes a-slayin' because the dragon is dangerous and difficult to kill. Batman's victory is interesting specifically because it's not the naive expectation, that the incredibly strong opponent will just pulverize him. Bilbo escaping from Smaug with the secret of the hole in the dragon's scales is a guile-hero victory because Bilbo is a mild-mannered country squire with a ring of invisibility, he should lose to the train-sized iguana with ekpyrotic halitosis. The Ragtag Bunch of Misfit Heroes shouldn't be able to take down the Vast And Terrible Empire, but they do and the interest is in finding out how. Etc.

Even people like Hercules, Mwindo, and Gilgamesh, people who are basically unstoppable when they put their mind to something, very frequently end up being put into an underdog position of some kind by circumstance, magic, or other difficulty, and have to learn a lesson or use their smarts to work through the problem, rather than just winning all the time forever because they're awesome. (Again, Beowulf is a bit of an exception because...yeah he basically does win all the time simply because he's That Awesome. But the sagas are more about genealogy and cool fight scenes than about clever narrative maneuvering.

The problem with translating this structure to a game is....well, a game can't work that way. You can't have "the rules really do say you should just lose most of the time" and "you actually pull out a victory most of the time." The two are logically incompatible. The only way to make the latter happen is for there to be a bunch of tools (of whatever kind) available to the players so they can turn things not only in their favor, but overwhelmingly in their favor, on a consistent basis--because if there's a 10% chance of TPK with every fight, there's more than an 80% chance that characters will die before getting enough encounters under their belt simply between level 4 and 5, and every single level thereafter (noting that you need something like 20 "hard" encounters to grow from level 4 to 5, and that only if the difficulty multipliers aren't heavily skewing things away from the actual XP earned during the fight...which it usually will be.)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Beowulf is a bit of an outlier here because, well, he basically has no faults and never struggles with anything, but that's also because the Anglo-Saxon and Norse sagas weren't exactly....stories as we would understand them in the modern sense. Myths, legends, and folklore tend to need a lot of polish before they become "stories" proper.
Have you read the book Grendel its from the monsters point of view and really kind of demonstrates that Beowulf is one of those classic to slay the monster you have to become a monster scenarios (he brutally sacrifices his own allies to find Grendels weakness)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Have you read the book Grendel its from the monsters point of view and really kind of demonstrates that Beowulf is one of those classic to slay the monster you have to become a monster scenarios (he brutally sacrifices his own allies to find Grendels weakness)
Haven't read that one, no. Sounds interesting, despite my usual frustrations with that sort of stuff.

Remove ads