Metal fans, come share in the love!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
You can see the guy standing in the back in that YouTube video, even.

My friend is in Helsinki right now and he and the group he's with watched the Eurovision finals in a pub somewhere in the city. I just talked with him and he said that while the Icelanders were going berserk with joy (We've had a big 'Vote For Lordi!' movement going on here) the Fins just kinda stared blankly in disbelief for a few minutes before it registered.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Viking Bastard said:
You can see the guy standing in the back in that YouTube video, even.
Damn. I had to watch it twice again to finally spot him. Standing in a black robe right in front of the black part of the backdrop. And the pyrotechnics providing a nice contrast. :D

Gunslinger

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I'm a little dissapointed with the youngbloods releasing albums these days... I've bought stuff like Shadowsfall, Lamb of God, In Flames and the recently released "Masters of Horror" CD that all came highly reccomended...and found that while the guys playing the instruments are pretty competent, the vocalists generally SUCK.

Its one thing to do "primal scream" vox like Max Cavalera does over Sepultura and Soulfly tunes, or the heavy grinding industrial metal of Godflesh, and another thing entirely to do them over highly techincal guitar work. The amalgam is jarring, to say the least.

Then there's Early Man. The songs and vocalist sound so much like N.I.B.-era Black Sabbath it isn't funny...except that Ozzy holds a tune much better. While at times the lead singer channels Ozzy perfectly, there are too many times he sounds like Ozzy at his drunken, drugged out, off-pitch worst.

I can get around the occassional crappy vocalist. I like Bob Dylan & Tom Petty despite their weak voices, and have always admired Neil Young...for his compositions & guitar work.

But its like most of these new guys couldn't hit a note with a shotgun...or club...

Shouting like that ≠ talent.

See my post earlier on the first page with song recommendations.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Quote:
NBC announced plans earlier this year to replicate the formula — a forerunner of "American Idol"-style talent contests — in the United States, with acts from different states competing for viewers' approval.

The European Broadcasting Union, which runs Eurovision, said it was in talks with NBC over rights. If successful, the American version could go ahead as early as this fall, said the group's director of television, Bjorn Erichsen.

Oooo, an American version. Guess we shouldn't be surprised though, cause people here will put ANYTHING they view as a possible money-maker online.

Also, I did check out Lamb of God since it was mentioned and recommended, but agree with Dannyalcatraz that while the instrumental part of their songs was cool, I disliked the vocals. I can't really stand the singing, if you could even call it that.

S. Baldrick

Explorer
dragonhead said:
Though not cosidered heavy Metal, they are the best band of all time. My favorite song being a tie between trees, yyz, and the manhatten project. And to all of the metal rockers out there, vh1 is having a tribute to metal month, check it out.

Actually, I think that early Rush was VERY close to heavy metal. Take 2112 for example. They started out as Led Zeppelin clones but eventurally found their own sound which was more "progressive" rock. While they were not Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, they certainly had a huge impact on heavy metal musicians (actually, muscians in general). They had a great guitarist with Alex Lifeson, one of the best bass players of all time in Geddy Lee and, last, but not least, Neil "God on drums" Peart.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
The Arockalypse...the Rockening...the awesomeness just keeps on comin'! Man, that was a great show! They remind me a lot of Rob Zombie, and the costumes! So awesome!

rjs

First Post
Oh hell, why not.

I am a metal fan--classic, death, doom, goth (sort of), industrial, thrash, and some black metal, including: Slayer, Sepultura, Soulfly, VADER, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Bolt Thrower, Sammael, Amorphis, Paradise Lost, Monster Magnet, Obituary, Cynic, Ministry, Arch Enemy, Tool, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickenson, Hanzel und Gretyl, Windir (RIP), Dismember, Cathedral, Soilwork, Danzig, A.P.C, Cradle of Filth, Death (RIP), Krisiun, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Diablo (if I could get it here), Kreator, Merciful Fate, Mortuary Drape, Strapping Young Lad, Tiamat, and Dio, Black Sabbath, Faith No More, Rush, Queensryche, and a few others.

I'm really enjoying Vader lately, though Arch Enemy kicked my ass, as did the new Sepultura album.

Remove ads