• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metalheads! Confess & Brag

Kurashu said:
[rant]
Lordy do I hate that term. The actual term does nothing to describe any style of music being played, just the content of lyrics. I don't see Nile being called egyptian death metal because they're songs are usually about Egypt. If I made a band that had songs about the Shinto religion would that be Shinto Metal? Or what about Islam? Deicide isn't "nihilist death metal".

The only thing I hate more is when my mom calls everything, EVERYTHING, I listen to that's heavy "death metal" regardless of how it sounds.
[/rant]
Correct! But the tag was actually created by outside concerns, (ie the industry not the artists). If you have ever had a one on one conversation with any of the artists they will tell you that theyare a (INSERT TYPE OF METAL) band with positive Christian lyrics. So if you have a problem with the tag, speak to your fellow metalheads and the CEOs of the major lables, THEY came up with the term, not the artists. Hope this clears things up and if you still lhave an issue with it, I suggest Prozac. ;)

Kurashu

First Post
The rant wasn't aimmed at you, Thunderfoot; just at the term itself. The things primarily wrong with the term is that bands are bought by parents because "it's christian".

I'd go further into this, but I'd probably end up breaking a few rules.

Anyways, the most exposure I've had to Cradle of Filth (and this'll probably come across as bad form) is MTV and a couple of songs my friends have played for me. I'll probably give them an earnest chance sometime, but later. Something about them just irks me.

Ferret

Explorer
Moulin Rogue said:
If you like Queen, you should check out yet another British group that hit the scene at the very beginning of the '70s - Uriah Heep. I've never read a reliable source that says Uriah Heep influenced Queen, but it's easy to listen to Heep and THINK they did, because Uriah Heep came a little earlier and they used some operatic vocal harmonies in their music.

I've got their song easy living, but I didn't impress me much. I might look at it again though :)

Thunderfoot said:
Hey Danny, sit down for a while, I've got this. ;)

Okay kiddies, Thunderfoot is not my name due to some sort of strange dwarven character I played, it was handed down as my street name because of my feet (Duh) as I played double bass - yes I am a drummer. So sit back and take notes, you may want to grab a soda/beer/blood and possibly something that will clog your arteries, I hear live bat is good.

*cue metal history*

Wow. Yay. Hurrah!

I would have put my self down as liking thrash then: Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax (I need to get me some more of that I *love* 'What Doesn't Die.'

I recognised some of those names you mentioned though but it was a good lesson in Metal/rock! Thanks!

jgbrowning said:
Try the song Killing Machine from Hell Bent for Leather. It's not as popular as many of Judas Priest's other songs, but I think it does a great job of capturing the aggression and bravado indicitive of their style. That said, pretty much anthing from about 1978 to 1984 by Priest is good music. Also, give their recent reunion album a listen: it's surprisingly good as well.

Glad you like metal Ferret. :) Right now I'm loving me some Therion hard core (been listening to their last 4 albums a lot recently), but I've got Kiss' Creatures of the Night in my headphones right now.

joe b.
I'll be looking into them now, but I'm not that great a fan of Kiss, not heard of therion but the name sounds cool!

Thanks guys!

Kurashu said:
The rant wasn't aimmed at you, Thunderfoot; just at the term itself. The things primarily wrong with the term is that bands are bought by parents because "it's christian".

I'd go further into this, but I'd probably end up breaking a few rules.

Anyways, the most exposure I've had to Cradle of Filth (and this'll probably come across as bad form) is MTV and a couple of songs my friends have played for me. I'll probably give them an earnest chance sometime, but later. Something about them just irks me.
Never took it as a personal hit, however, I did want to try and clear up from whence that 'name tag' had came. And from the other other perspective, it gave me an excuse to listen to something and say, but see, it's Christian... ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, there were some pretty cool Christian metal bands out there...very few made any mainstream radio or MTV play.

Bloodgood was one of my faves- "The Messiah" from their 1987 release Detonation was pretty darn good.

And let's not discount the more mainstream rock/metal bands who definitely have a Christian vibe, like P.O.D. and King's X.

And, while we're not really talking about it- howabout those Asian (mostly Japanese) bands?

In a time when the country was basically awash in pop & retro music, Loudness opened Japan's door to American glam metal, broke big, then came to the good old USA. Then came EZO. Then you started seeing more Asian players in bands like Reverend and Dream Theatre. The women got into it as well- see Super Junky Monkey.

Now we're getting metal bands from Japan that are as whacked out as anyone else today- Dir En Gray, anyone? They have closed the metal gap!

Dannyalcatraz said:
Actually, there were some pretty cool Christian metal bands out there...very few made any mainstream radio or MTV play.

Bloodgood was one of my faves- "The Messiah" from their 1987 release Detonation was pretty darn good.

And let's not discount the more mainstream rock/metal bands who definitely have a Christian vibe, like P.O.D. and King's X.

And, while we're not really talking about it- howabout those Asian (mostly Japanese) bands?

In a time when the country was basically awash in pop & retro music, Loudness opened Japan's door to American glam metal, broke big, then came to the good old USA. Then came EZO. Then you started seeing more Asian players in bands like Reverend and Dream Theatre. The women got into it as well- see Super Junky Monkey.

Now we're getting metal bands from Japan that are as whacked out as anyone else today- Dir En Gray, anyone? They have closed the metal gap!

Thank you EZO - without you we might never have had Jake E. Lee,

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, a lot of this thread has been talking about bands I've never heard of...i.e., those newer than about 1995 or so...but I'm glad to see that metal lives. :)

A few stray thoughts:

Much of what is being referred to as "hard rock" is metal to me...Deep Purple, Rainbow, AC-DC...as that's what I remember it as, and still consider it such when I hear it today. :)

The Rush song "Roll the Bones" always makes me think of gaming; roll the bones being an old slang term for throwing dice.

My own musical tastes are all over the map...The Cars, Neil Young, Rainbow/Dio, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Midnight Oil...but there's a metallic streak in there somewhere (though perhaps a bit rusty these days) :)

Some so-called grunge groups e.g. Nirvana are every bit as heavy as most other metal, and deserve to be included in the genre.

I once read a review that described Hawkwind as "a barbarian horde let loose on technology"; it fits.

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads