• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Metalheads! Confess & Brag

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I agree, Lanefan- the line between hard rock and metal is quite blurry, especially before 1990. AC/DC, Rainbow & DP are all metal bands- its just that heavier forms have been "discovered" since then.

Personally, I have tended towards using the terms interchangeably...essentially thinking of hard rock as the overarching genre of which metal is a major subcategory.

Kurashu

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Actually, there were some pretty cool Christian metal bands out there...very few made any mainstream radio or MTV play.

Oh definetly. I'm very surprised how many people know about Norma Jean, but not Zao and Living Sacrifice. August Burns Red is an extremely talented band. Twelve Gauge Valentine is excellent as well. The Chariot is alright, but they aren't for everyone. Extol is good, but their style changes from album to album and the last album wasn't metal (not to say it wasn't good). And while not metal/metalcore, Beloved, Comeback Kid, and Figure Four are great hardcore bands.

Nyaricus

First Post
Lanefan said:
Some so-called grunge groups e.g. Nirvana are every bit as heavy as most other metal, and deserve to be included in the genre.
I completely disagree on this. While I fully accept that many hard rock bands flirted with metal in many of their songs, and thus there is some crossover between the two genres (GNR, ACDC, etc etc [I don't really listen to these bands anyways]), grunge is is sub-genre of rock and =/= metal whatsoever. Hell, Nirvana and the grunge scene is what castrated the metal scene in North America in the 90s, till much later on in the decade when 'Nu Metal' became popular. Metal never died out in Europe in the 90s, and many metal acts are extremely popular over there, by which I mean mainstream (Nightwish, Lordi etc... not very well versed in the specific acts which have risen to popularity in Europe).

Only now in N.A. are we really seeing the metal truely regain it's foothold, what with last years release of Lamb of Gods' Sacrament reach number 8 on he Billboard top 100 in the first week, for example. In my city, I'm seeing more and more major metal acts coming through, more local metal bands forming, more great metal CDs coming out by heavy-hitting bands, etc.

But, as for grunge, it's definitly not metal. Not even close.

cheers,
--N

D.Shaffer

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
And, while we're not really talking about it- howabout those Asian (mostly Japanese) bands?
Now we're getting metal bands from Japan that are as whacked out as anyone else today- Dir En Gray, anyone? They have closed the metal gap!
Which leads to another confession. I'm a big fan of Animetal. :uhoh:
Cheesy, yeah, but hearing the Mazinger Z or Yamato theme on heavy guitar rocks.

Dannyalcatraz said:
OK, Thunderfoot- you actually stumped me. :uhoh:

What's the connection between EZO and Jake E Lee?

( http://music.aol.com/artist/ezo/17197/biography )

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_E._Lee )
Oops, I misquoted myself. See, never post at 1 am - your mind plays very strange tricks on you.. :\

Would believe I actually meant Eric Carr - how I got Jake E Lee from Eric Carr, I have no idea. And to explain that link, when Eric started having health issues, Gene went on hiatus to Japan, that's when he found EZO. (BTW this is incorrectly handled in his biography - the wording makes it seem like he had health issue and then was immediately diagnosed, he actually had some issues with fatigue which was later diagnosed when the symptoms started getting worse.) The line does cross back with Jake E Lee, but only through Eric Singer and that happened later,

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Just FYI, MTV2 is airing Headbanger's Ball right now.
[homer]mmmmmm, Headbangers Ball[/homer]

I just got back from a Dimmu Borgir, Unearth, DevilDriver and Kataklysm show. I'll post a full detail of it tomorrow!

cheers,
--N

Ferret

Explorer
Someone sent me a song by Dimmu Borgir once, my response? Scary! :p

I need to start writing down the bands I've been advise to go find! Then plan what to do next!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads