• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MHB] +6 on all attributes for 200,000 ?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
KaeYoss said:
Then screw the official crap.

I agree. That is why I use Artificers Handbook from Mystic Eye Games for item creation in my campaign. Most of the weird WotC item creation nonsense goes out the door.

kreynolds

First Post
Yeah, AH is pretty slick. Sometimes I end up with some wonky prices, but if I compare a wonky price from the AH to a wonky price from the DMG guidelines, I can at least end up with some compromising wonkiness. :)

The two things I love about that book the most are the armor breakdowns and gestalt sets.

wtdavid

First Post
According to the SRD:

------------------------------
Multiple Similar Abilities: For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.
--------------------------------

The price would be under 200,000 gp using the above without the affinity rules. With the rule, it's about 275,00 gp.

-wtdavid

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
wtdavid said:
According to the SRD:

------------------------------
Multiple Similar Abilities: For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.
--------------------------------

The price would be under 200,000 gp using the above without the affinity rules. With the rule, it's about 275,00 gp.

-wtdavid

Ah, but surely these are not similar abilities. A judgement call, I suppose.

retan

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
A belt of +6 to all, as far as I'm concerned, the same as a belt of giant strength +6 and 5 ioun stones with +6 to the other ability scores. so you get 1x1 and 5x2. 1x2 and 5*1.5 isn't enough.

Of course, a slotless item with +6 to all has to cost even more: 6x2.

In my opinion, one belt and 5 ioun stones of +6 to one ability is much more valuable than a single item of +6 to all abilities because the belt and ioun stones can be distributed over the entire party to yield maximum benefit, while the single item must be worn by one character.

-- Retan

wtdavid

First Post
Artoomis said:
Ah, but surely these are not similar abilities. A judgement call, I suppose.

Yes they would be. In the SRD, examples of diffrent abilities are bonus to attack and bonus to saves. These are certainly diffrent, whereas +6 to all stats are all stat bonuses. They may not be the same, but they are similar.

-wtdavid

Grog

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
+12 to all stats would cost 1,440,000 gp, though; certainly more than the combined item, by all accounts.

I didn't say anything about cost, and the pricing for epic magic items is stupid anyway.

Grog

First Post
Artoomis said:
Definately +6 to ALL stats. Then I could get another item for a different type bonus of +6 to that one stat.

Um, sure you could. Why, my 15th level fighter has four different Strength items, each of which provides a different type of +6 bonus. Let's hear it for 42 Strength!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
kreynolds said:
while in the case of the single item, you're stuck with what it does, unable to alter the "set". That's reason enough for me to justify the lower cost of the latter.

Well, in our case, it doesn't actually give you something obscure you never use. It just raises all the ability scores, which are all useful (unless you play an extreme like 100% dungeon crawl without CHA score), so this one shouldn't get a discount.

Remove ads