[MHB] +6 on all attributes for 200,000 ?

kreynolds

First Post
wtdavid said:
I didnt' say str and int were similar, but both magic bonuses are similar. They both enhance an ability stat. Once again from the SRD and what defines different.

Forget the SRD. Look at the DMG, page 282, sidebar. There is a specific example in there of a belt of Strength and Dexterity, and they are _not_ similar powers.

Last edited:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
kreynolds said:
For example, say you decide to wear full plate from now on, and you no longer want the +6 to Dex.

Doesn't mean you no longer need the +6 to Dex. That's still +3 to ref saves (not to spit at) and possibly several other things.

(edit: typo)

Last edited:

Magic

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
1> Magic doesn't give a crap whether an item is "slotted" or not.

2> Magic doesn't give a crap whether it is providing a "common" or "unusual" bonus type.

3> Magic doesn't even care how much it costs.

I do so! In fact, who are you to say what I give a crap about? Slotting (and what I charge) may be really important to me, and you never even thought to ask. You just assumed.

You're the Man, and the Man is trying to hold me down. Attica! Attica!

kreynolds

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Doesn't mean you no longer need the +6 to Dex. That's still +3 to ref saves (not to spit at) and possibly several other things.

And? The point is that you don't want it and can't get rid of it. Your stuck with it. But if you had a belt and five ioun stones, it wouldn't be a problem. Why? The ioun stones are more versatile, thus worth more than the single belt. Anyway, we're not going to agree so I'll drop it.

Last edited:

FrankTrollman

First Post
The cost increase for a second power on a slotted item is the same as the cost increase for an item with an inappropriate power is the same as the cost increase for an item with no slot cost at all.

They never ever stack! After all, it would be totally retarded to make an item if you had to pay two cost increases - since you could just have it be a token in your pocket and have it increase in cost only once.

The cost of a secondary ability assumes that you are always going to want that ability - that it is essentially exactly the same thing as getting a token you keep in your pocket. When we get into large numbers of common bonuses - that is obviously not true anymore. Even relying only upon spells, enhancement bonuses to various stats show up as afterthoughts all the time - and this item is often not going to be performing at full potential.

Is it better than six different +6 items to one stat for one character? Absolutely!

But that's not the question. The question is how it compares to a single item that gives +6 to only one stat. It's better, but not six times better. Certainly not eight and a half times better.

-Frank

Storminator

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
<SNIP>

Is it better than six different +6 items to one stat for one character? Absolutely!

But that's not the question. The question is how it compares to a single item that gives +6 to only one stat. It's better, but not six times better. Certainly not eight and a half times better.

-Frank

Cost doesn't directly follow utility. A +4 sword is slightly better (33%) than a +3 sword, yet costs nearly twice as much. A +6 Dex item is 50% better than a +4 Dex item, yet costs more than twice as much.

The more you concentrate your items, the more expensive it becomes.

Incidently, I made an item that's +6 to 5 stats (not WIS) for an upcoming epic level game. And no matter how you calculate the cost, I did it wrong. :)

PS

Garboshnik

First Post
A lot of the pricings in the DMG are pretty bad, IMC I usually find that everyone prefers stat-boosters and cloaks of resistance over most other items due to their comparatively low price. I've doubled the stat-boost prices and tripled the prices of cloaks of resistance and am fairly confident that players will still buy them.

As for +6 to all ability scores, I'm not sure that's worth 396,000 even for a monk. For that price you could get Bracers of armor +8, An Amulet of mighty fists +4, An Amulet of Nat Armor +5, a Ring of Prot +5, A cloak of resist +5, Belt of strength +6, Gloves of Dex +6, and still have change left over. 300,000 or even 200,000 seems a more reasonable price to me.

Moral of the story is that slots aren't all that (and neither is +6 to a dump stat).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
kreynolds said:
And? The point is that you don't want it and can't get rid of it. Your stuck with it. But if you had a belt and five ioun stones, it wouldn't be a problem. Why? The ioun stones are more versatile, thus worth more than the single belt. Anyway, we're not going to agree so I'll drop it.

I just wanted to point out that it doesn't become useless at all.

But you're right. You lose some versatility. This shouldn't figure largely in the price considerations, though. Maybe something as much as 10% to show goodwill.

So we have ((1+5*2)*6²*1000)*0.9, make it a nice round value and say 350.000 gp.

kreynolds

First Post
KaeYoss said:
I just wanted to point out that it doesn't become useless at all.

True, but I never said it was useless. Heck, I don't think I'd _ever_ say +6 to a stat is useless. Well, ok, maybe.

KaeYoss said:
Maybe something as much as 10% to show goodwill.

So we have ((1+5*2)*6²*1000)*0.9, make it a nice round value and say 350.000 gp.

Looks good. :cool:

Remove ads