• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Middle Earth [TA 2997]: The Phantom of the Northern Marches

ferretguy

First Post
"Just to let you know my friend, smokin' pipes have always been a good indicator of position during a hunt...always a nice target to shoot when you see the glow.." Breor smiles "Although I'm quite sure the enemy already knows where we are..."

rangerjohn

Explorer
Arathorn Ranger of the North

"Indeed, that is why I made no mention. But it is something to keep in mind for the future. Generally pipeweed is something to be enjoyed in a secure location."

Inez Hull

First Post
[OODM: sorry 'bout the delay, busy couple o' weeks]

The party dust themselves off and backtrack a short distance down the gorge to where the upslope on the far side is safe enough to climb easily. After a few minutes of scrambling up the scree covered rock you can look back over the gorge and see the downslope of the Pen Dredi to the east by moonlight. To the west the slope continues to rise gradually, culminating in a rocky bluff in the distance and is fairly heavily forested compared to other areas of the wyd.

As you begin moving northward to a point above where the rockfall occured, the two northmen silently disengage from the group and slide into the cover of the trees and begin quietly shadowing the rest of the party. In short time you have reached the point where the rockfall occured and you cautiously examine the area for any sign of the Phantom. Breor yells in surprise as a loud metallic snap echoes through the night silence, drawing everyones attention and surely that of any other interested parties. As you all close to investigate you see Breor staring mutely at the closed bear trap which he has just narrowly avoided losing his leg to. When Breor has recovered his wits he scouts the area for tracks and although he finds footprints they do not seem to lead anywhere, seemingly disappearing into midair. However he does find the visible remains of where rocks were stacked, confirming that the fall was by no means natural in origin. The party moves a short distance from the gorge and sets up a simple campsite, whilst Arathorn and Valandil set up a hidden watch position a short distance to the west. It feels quite strange going through the motions of setting camp with the knowledge that it is just a ruse to attract the attention of some unknown force that plainly wishes you all ill.

Time slowly grinds as the moon slowly moves across the night sky and heavens wheel. A small fire is stoked up but it does little to push back the nerves of a looming attack. Just when it seems that the Phantom will not return and you are discussing the possibility of trying to get some sleep the telltale blue-green lights flicker into being a short distance off from the campsite. The two Dunedain can clearly see the lights from their hidden position as the lights slowly ebb through the trees towards the camp.

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
[ooc: Welcome back, Inez. :) ]

"And I was like, 'What's the job?' 'Caravan guard.' 'Pay?' And so they make me an offer, and I almost choked, it was way more..." Antroine prattles off some tale of a previous mercenary endevour while trying to fill time.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

Valandil wants to corner the lights, surround it as much as possible. With his hand, he points at himself then motions left, then points at Arathorn and motions right. (or whatever directions would allow the Dunadain to best cut off escape by the light) Then he very slowly draws his blades and begins to creep off.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Not realizing till now, he was to approach the enemy, Arathorn reluctently replaces bow with sword. He then circles around as Valandil indicated.

Mirth

Explorer
OOC: Well I turned in my thesis on Monday and I'm just waiting for the graduate school to accept it, so I guess I'm ready to rejoin the game. If you need to contact me, email is mirthcard [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads