Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka, having been able to feel waylines for some time, realizes what Coldtree is doing, and tries to aid him.

Base roll = 58 (or 85 w/ mulligan)

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Coldtree... attempts to reach out and find the critters (by analyzing) Way.
Roll: 73, 37
This represents the desire to locate anything known to be in the area, that may be hidden from view and is important to the character, including anomalies, animals, plants, minerals, ores, etc. Success is determined by meeting or exceeding the predetermined rank requirements on the tables found under the Collectibles or Denizens or TUW.

Effectiveness: Ecology + Clarity + d100
Coldtree: 14 + 13 + 73 = 100
Moving around the natural debris pile, only the one opening is observed. Coldtree is able to sense that at least one animal is within the lair but knows no specifics.

... Taka begins helping Coldtree... and tries to aid him.
Base roll = 65.
Base roll = 58 (or 85 w/ mulligan)
GM: I will not be using Mulligans, since y'all are veteran gamers.

Taka: 12 + 14 + 65 = 91
Taka proves unable to aid Coldtree any further.

Tehn nods. "This still leaves us at my original question. Do we want to wait or see if we can drive it out. I think if one or two of us was to heat this pile from the back side, it might smoke the animal out. I seems to damp to ignite, which is good. I am sure you have already realized that I can make fire just by willing it. I'll bet you can too."

EACH CHARACTER RECEIVES 1 DP.

MacConnell

Patience is not particularly the strongest suit of the youthful. The three young men place themselves strategically about the debris pile before laying their hands upon it. It takes all of 1 second for the pile to begin to steam. The natural wetness from the collection of the morning dew and the cool environment of the mountain heights makes the danger of igniting the pile, nothing to fear.

Some aggravated noises emit from the pile, voiced by more than one animal. The sounds are indicative of several of the familiar members of the varmints known as fowlers. Moving around to look at the opening, the three are confronted with the face of one of their meat thieves, and the preeminence of a particularly unpleasant odor.

3D0E6AED-17A1-46DB-ABC1-19C33536DEE2.jpeg

Upon seeing the threat of people, the critter bolts from its hole, followed by its mate. The skunks are, bodily, about the mass of a person's thigh, not counting tail and head. They both make feral noises and tap their right hind leg, readying to stand their ground.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka hesitates, saying: "This is not a question of bravery, but is the risk of getting sprayed by a skunk of this size really worth it?"

Taka chuckles, because, of course, he plans to "face the music," no matter what; but in his mind, he is already trying to remember the list of herbs that his mother used to bathe the dog in whenever he would run afoul of a skunk.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Seeing what Coldtree intends to do, Taka, who is no stranger to Way Manipulation, will place his hand upon Coldtree as he does so, in an attempt to aid Coldtree's clarity and focus.

MacConnell

A Foul Affair

Coldtree will lunge forward to touch one or both skunks and use Way to attack their Mind and make them friendly.
Seeing what Coldtree intends to do, Taka, who is no stranger to Way Manipulation, will place his hand upon Coldtree as he does so, in an attempt to aid Coldtree's clarity and focus.
Crinkling his nose, Tehn reflexively draws his hunting knife, but decides to kick at one of the smelly varmints, manipulating mechanical way lines in an attempt to add sonic damage if he makes contact.
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Taka: 13 + 12 + 14 + 32 = 71
Coldtree: 12 + 14 + 14 + 22 = 62
Tehn: 12 + 14 + 14 + 65 = 105
Skunks: 12 + 24 + 0 + 83 = 119
Taka: 100(way) - 71(reaction) = 29
Coldtree: 100(way) - 62 = 38
Tehn: 100(way) - 105 = 0
Skunks: 100(spray) - 119 = 0
Effectiveness = 36 + 83(d100) = 119
Taka: 13(conditioning) + 14(clarity) + 32(d100) = 59
damage: 119 - 59 = 60% * 10 = 6
Mind: 10 - 6 = 4, dazed
Coldtree: 12(conditioning) + 14(clarity) + 22(d100) = 48
damage: 119 - 48 = 71% * 10 = 7
Mind: 10 - 7 = 3, dazed
Tehn: 12(conditioning) + 14(clarity) + 65(d100) = 91
damage: 119 - 91 = 18% * 10 = 2
Mind: 10 - 2 = 8, dazed
Touch: Finesse + Accuracy + Clarity + d100
Taka: automatic, touching a friend
Coldtree: 12 + 14 + 14 + 22 = 62
Skunk: 12 + 24 + 83 > 62
Aggression + Accuracy + Fury + d100
Tehn: 14 + 14 + 14 + 65 = 107
Skunks: > 107
Tehn and the skunks both act at the same time. The two skunks turn to effectively spray the entire group while Tehn attempts to kick the innards from one of them. A horrible viscous liquid burns the face and eyes of the three young men while an overwhelming aroma fills their nostrils.

Though Tehn comes the closest to making contact, none of the three are able to touch one of the skunks. After the vindictive varmints spray the air, while each man rubs his face and gags from the fumes, the little beast scurry back into their hole.

ALL CHARACTERS RECEIVE 1 DP.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Spitting and cursing, Coldtree retreats a few feet to rinse his eyes and mouth. With a sadistic grin, he says, "I was trying to touch them so I could convince them to leave this area and find a safer source of food. Now I say we kill them, and get the tanner to turn their hides into gloves. So I think we need to build the fire bigger, then when the little monsters run out, we shoot them full of arrows." He puts a friendly hand on Tehn's shoulder, "And just to be clear, yes I think we should do this right now."

Coldtree will help with fire prep and then take a position so he can shoot his bow easily at where the skunks will come out.

86, 83

Last edited:

Remove ads