Mike Mearls on D&D Psionics: Should Psionic Flavor Be Altered?

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

"Thanks for all the replies! Theoretically, were I working on psionics, I'd try to set some high bars for the execution. Such as - no psionic power duplicates a spell, and vice versa. Psionics uses a distinct mechanic, so no spell slots. One thing that might be controversial - I really don't like the scientific terminology, like psychokinesis, etc. But I think a psionicist should be exotic and weird, and drawing on/tied to something unsettling on a cosmic scale.... [but]... I think the source of psi would be pretty far from the realm of making pacts. IMO, old one = vestige from 3e's Tome of Magic.

One final note - Dark Sun is, IMO, a pretty good example of what happens to a D&D setting when psionic energy reaches its peak. Not that the rules would require it, but I think it's an interesting idea to illustrate psi's relationship to magic on a cosmic level."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In no particular order...

I've enjoyed most forms of D&D Psionics to some extent, but I also always thought there were problems with each incarnation. At the most obvious, the more like spells it was mechanically, the less different it felt.

The terminology NEVER bothered me- so many of the terms were Greco/Latin in origin, I just saw it as how an academic might name them. Besides, as has been pointed out, the same terminology was poached for magic anyway- if telekinesis, teleportation, and the like can be used for casters, it works for psionic manifesters as well.

If I were in charge, I'd differentiate Psi from Arcane & Divine magic by:

1) make it explicitly NOT magic, but rather, an extension of the natural forces within all living things. Power is achieved by mastering one's own body in ways most cannot imagine. While there might be anti-Psionic magical effects- and vice versa- they wouldn't be the same. In a place where magic was non-functional, Psionics could still (potentially) work. As such, I would probably bring things like Ki into the broader Psionic tent.

Edit: barbarian Rage might be a good one, too.

2) because Psi would (probably) be harder to dispel, neutralize or mitigate, and thus more reliable/available, I would probably make the effects either less powerful, more costly in character resources, or both.

3) because it is (mostly) just a manifestation of one's physical resources, I would make it Con based. It would also mean that as y deplete your Psionic resources, you become more fatigued. "Go Nova" or use your last point, and you risk passing out from the strain.

4) The more powerful abilities would depend on actually expending points- see the fatigue mechanic above- but some would just depend on having Psionic energy available: as long as you have any psychic resources, they function just fine.

5) I like the "Far Realms is a disease, psi is the cure" idea, and would totally yoink that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Mechanically, I'd like to see psionics differentiate itself by mostly avoiding big, one time effects, and focusing on abilities that you can use at will or turn on using psychic power.

An example mechanic. A psion has a number of power pools equal to his proficiency bonus. He can use telekinesis at will. If he takes an action, he can use a power pool to manifest a telekinesis power that allows him to fly. As long as this power is active, he can't use the pool for any other powers, but dismissing his flight would grant him the pool back. He can also burn the pool, allowing him to teleport, but the pool is now useless.

He can recover a burned pool during a short rest. Perhaps if he burns all his pools, he can't use psionics until he recovers at least one.

A psi crystal might grant an additional power pool, and a psionic tattoo might allow a specific power to be manifest as a bonus action.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Pisonics was historically OP because (i) most folks wont have any defence against it, (ii) you can do it stealthy no problem and (iii) you could pump up your powers to nova like crazy by abusing the power point system.
Well, yes. And if it doesn't do all 3 of those in 5e, it won't capture the classic feel of psionics.

Hey, it was a good enough reason to put back Vancian casting and multiple attacks....

hawkeyefan

Legend
Does anyone know what was the original inspiration for the inclusion of psionics in original D&D? Like we know that the spell casting was heavily influenced by Vance, and then we can look to any number of other authors such as Lovecraft, Lieber, Moorcock, and Howard for a lot of the other content.

But where did Gygax get psionics from? It might help to figure that out in a discussion of what psionics should or should not be. What were his inspirations for their inclusion in the game?

I'm kind of indifferent about psionics, myself. I am a huge fan of the original Dark Sun content, and I liked how and why psionics were used in that setting. I liked the 2nd edition psionics handbook. And that's about it. Nothing since then has really impressed me. 3rd edition content felt largely the same, just modified for the new edition.

I just don't feel the need for it. If it's there and presented in a way that makes sense, okay great, maybe I'll use it a bit. But I certainly don't feel the need for it in my game. If any player of mine felt that strongly about it, in the absence of official rules I'm sure we could cobble something together that would work.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
For some reason I associate psionics with "weird fantasy" -- Vornheim, Carcosa, LotFP kind of stuff. Dark Sun and Spelljammer lean in that direction, too, without being quite as dark and grim.

So I'd keep the pseudoscientific terminology, and make it even weirder if possible. And I love the idea that exposure to alien spacecraft can awaken your psionic talents. And I like the idea of psionics being much more subtle than magic, and the power of psionics comes from the fact that it "breaks the rules" of the universe in some way.

shadow

First Post
No the flavor of psionics should not be altered! I actually like the quasi-scientific names of the powers. The traditional names make the powers easily identifiable (most people could see psychokinesis or precognition and know what the powers do). Also, I can see psionicists in a fantasy setting come up with 'scientific' names to classify their powers.

I find it funny that people complain about psionics not fitting into a 'medieval' fantasy setting, but accept a mishmash of monsters from Greek myth, Chinese style kung-fu monks, and Lovecraftian horrors.

darius0

Explorer
An alternate name might be nice though. I liked when they had alternate names for dinosaurs that were a little less odd to say in a medieval setting

Li Shenron

Legend
2) because Psi would (probably) be harder to dispel, neutralize or mitigate, and thus more reliable/available, I would probably make the effects either less powerful, more costly in character resources, or both.

3) because it is (mostly) just a manifestation of one's physical resources, I would make it Con based. It would also mean that as y deplete your Psionic resources, you become more fatigued. "Go Nova" or use your last point, and you risk passing out from the strain.

4) The more powerful abilities would depend on actually expending points- see the fatigue mechanic above- but some would just depend on having Psionic energy available: as long as you have any psychic resources, they function just fine.

Mechanically, I'd like to see psionics differentiate itself by mostly avoiding big, one time effects, and focusing on abilities that you can use at will or turn on using psychic power.

An example mechanic. A psion has a number of power pools equal to his proficiency bonus. He can use telekinesis at will. If he takes an action, he can use a power pool to manifest a telekinesis power that allows him to fly. As long as this power is active, he can't use the pool for any other powers, but dismissing his flight would grant him the pool back. He can also burn the pool, allowing him to teleport, but the pool is now useless.

He can recover a burned pool during a short rest. Perhaps if he burns all his pools, he can't use psionics until he recovers at least one.

I like the sound of these suggestions. They made me think, how about starting from the mechanics (not the flavor) of the Sorcerer minus the regular spells slots, i.e. only cantrips (at will) for the lesser but easy to use psionic powers, and spell points (or a variation of them) for the greater powers. I don't remember exactly how it works, but then perhaps borrowing from the Chaos Mage subclass for a mechanic that allows to push for more powers in exchange for a chance of mishap and negative consequences?

Then the class needs some unique stuff added, but not necessarily a lot... certainly I think the "no components required" is a must-have to capture the flavor of "powers from the mind", and therefore it would give the Psion a unique edge in being able to use all its powers sneakily, compared to classic spellcasters who are normally seen chanting formulas and making gestures.

Psion subclasses could include some that follow the same ideas as Wizard Traditions i.e. focusing on a type of effects, and others that instead build a more "physical" (either martial or sneaky/explorative) kind of Psion. There is actually a lot of room for design here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I feel like psionic characters should be a cross between Monks and Warlocks. Invocations to specialize and differentiate, some set abilities to provide basic competence, and limited, but recharging, casting ability that can be spent more or less quickly, like Ki points.

Less diverse power options, but more powerful or flexible in their use, depending on the power.

I think the far realm needs to go. But even straight Psions shouldn't be Wizards 2.0.

The naming I could take or leave.

Remove ads

Remove ads