Mike Mearls on D&D Psionics: Should Psionic Flavor Be Altered?

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

"Thanks for all the replies! Theoretically, were I working on psionics, I'd try to set some high bars for the execution. Such as - no psionic power duplicates a spell, and vice versa. Psionics uses a distinct mechanic, so no spell slots. One thing that might be controversial - I really don't like the scientific terminology, like psychokinesis, etc. But I think a psionicist should be exotic and weird, and drawing on/tied to something unsettling on a cosmic scale.... [but]... I think the source of psi would be pretty far from the realm of making pacts. IMO, old one = vestige from 3e's Tome of Magic.

One final note - Dark Sun is, IMO, a pretty good example of what happens to a D&D setting when psionic energy reaches its peak. Not that the rules would require it, but I think it's an interesting idea to illustrate psi's relationship to magic on a cosmic level."

Bluenose

Adventurer
An alternate name might be nice though. I liked when they had alternate names for dinosaurs that were a little less odd to say in a medieval setting

Psychic was a term in use well before the pseudo-science of Psionics appeared. And still is used, of course.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like the sound of these suggestions. They made me think, how about starting from the mechanics (not the flavor) of the Sorcerer minus the regular spells slots, i.e. only cantrips (at will) for the lesser but easy to use psionic powers, and spell points (or a variation of them) for the greater powers. I don't remember exactly how it works, but then perhaps borrowing from the Chaos Mage subclass for a mechanic that allows to push for more powers in exchange for a chance of mishap and negative consequences?

Then the class needs some unique stuff added, but not necessarily a lot... certainly I think the "no components required" is a must-have to capture the flavor of "powers from the mind", and therefore it would give the Psion a unique edge in being able to use all its powers sneakily, compared to classic spellcasters who are normally seen chanting formulas and making gestures.

Psion subclasses could include some that follow the same ideas as Wizard Traditions i.e. focusing on a type of effects, and others that instead build a more "physical" (either martial or sneaky/explorative) kind of Psion. There is actually a lot of room for design here.
RE "cantrips": Since Psi is just a hypernatural mastery of the manifester's body, many of the "cantrip" powers could have Side Effects- muscle strains (temporary reduction in Str or Dex), busted blood vessels (HP damage), migraines (temporary Int reduction), etc. if overused. Overuse could be a simple roll, similar to Star Fleet Battles' rule for high-energy turns: use the power at will X many times, all further uses of that power that day require a D20 roll + Con bonus vs a set number. Fail and suffer the side effect.

...and you can still use the power, but with a penalty to the roll. Say...-2 for each time you've failed before that day.

RE "sneaky": some powers should be, some shouldn't. Think of the iconic head explosion scene from Scanners- though the villain does not move, he is clearly exerting himself. Or the empathic healing scene from Classic Star Trek episode, "The Empath". Concentration is clearly also a must for powers like that. And in the interest of modeling as many archetypes as possible, perhaps there would be a Feat or some such to make manifesting such powers stealthily.

But those who psionically boost their strength, use ESP-type powers? Many might be inherently sneaky.

RE class design space: because they're Con based, manifesters would start off tougher than most pure casters. I'd make most manifester classes akin to the half-casters or multiclassed casters of previous editions- a few powers enhancing skills or martial prowess, with only the Psion depending more on the big, flashy powers (such as they are) than more mundane abilities.

RE power design space: standard D&D design would be distinct powers for each effect. And this is perfectly acceptable. OTOH, you could have powers that are siloed: each power has a cantrip effect that is usable at will as described above. But rather than gaining new powers, manifesters REFINE their powers, learning new things they can do with the powers they have.

Consider Telekinesis. Most people just want to use it for grabbing and throwing increasingly large masses. Some use it to "fly" or levitate by lifting themselves. But as has been done in some fiction, some "Tekes" concentrate on ultra-fine control, like gently applying pressure to the carotid artery to cause someone to pass out.

This could be modeled by having specific stunts, or just defining the limits of the power (per points expended?) and letting the players figure out what they can do with it...

Sticking with telekinesis, at the cantrip level, perhaps a manifester can manipulate weights up to 1lb at a range of 5' + 5' per Con bonus. Expending a few points can boost the range or the mass. Perhaps at top levels, the mass peaks at...1000lbs? Less powerful in raw strength than arcane or divine telekinetic effects, but again, reliable, reusable, and hard to disrupt or otherwise interfere with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
I think they got this from, "Some classic psionic-using creatures in AD&D were also tied to the far realms, therefore Psionics are tied to the far realms". Which I really don't like. The psionics were not themselves tied to the far realms, just those handful creatures that also had them. They're as tied to the far realms as swords are tied to orcs - yes, orcs also use swords, but swords are not connected to orcs in particular.

I mean, I won't hate it if they tie them to the far realms, I just think it's a poor choice. Tying it to "the force" is a much stronger concept.

To be fair though, how different is, "Psionics come from The Force - an all powerful energy that permeates all life" and "Psionics come from the energy of the Far Realms, a dimension of psychic energy, far beyond the ken of man"? It's not really a whole lot of difference is it?

Granted, I don't really care either way how they flavour the "source" of psionics. 5e uses "the Weave" as the source of magic. Certainly doesn't apply to my game. Whatever source they come up with, will likely have about as much impact on my game as the Weave.

dwayne

Adventurer
I always saw it as the mind and force of will overcoming the physical (ones own bodies limitations) or effecting a object ( external force ) as to controlling or bending others with your mind. I think a balance of a physical stat and a non physical stat should be applied for the effects. Kind of a contest of wills to stop it or a physical one to battle through it maybe on a failed test you roll a physical and vs being worn out of fatigued. A person with a high int and will or char. may be powerful but with a low con may lack to sustaining power in a long fight, maybe not use con another stat or a combination of all physical and of all mental. or just a new psi stat and ki stat psi for attack and ki for defense not sure but hope he does something good looking forward to see what it is.

Barachiel

First Post
I do not agree. First of all, what is "traditional fantasy"? There is none. What we call "traditional" in fantasy is actually stereotypical. An overused trope.

Next, the sci-fi terms work because it is already part of our society that when we hear "psychokinesis" we know what it means and can get a good image in our minds. If you call it something else entirely, you then have to sit and explain what it really is: "Oh it's just a fancy term for psychokinesis...but they call it that just to be difficult."

Finally, no power-spell equivalents? That's impossible. There already is plenty of divine-arcane equivlanets (Dispel Magic, Detect Magic, etc.) so it makes sense for there to be an equivalent in other mediums of supernatural abilities.

dwayne

Adventurer
Have psi cause fatigue damage (subdue ) to the person on a failed check or if over extending him self (which might happen if facing something that is more powerful than you and loosing the test of will ) enough damage you pass out. You could us the powers and abilities as long as you give your self enough of a buffer zone in case you do face something a bit powerful or loose too many times in a test of wills. in this case failing a test to push your self beyond what your strength can do could have ab ad side effect of muscle strain or causing real physical harm.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I am a bit concerned about the whole "a cure for the Far Realm disease" and here's why.

I don't want that to be the general origin of Psionics across the board. I can see that as the origin in a specific area but not as a whole. This wouldn't work for Dark Sun for instance because you don't see many Far Realms creatures running about Athas.

In the Forgotten Realms, I see Psionics as coming from mainly Mind Flayers and Aboleths. Remember Clan Duergar were experimented on by the Illithids which in turn gave us the dwarven subrace that developed Psionics from all the experiments. I may be incorrect, but I seem to remember Mind Flayers coming from the future and not the Far Realms so I could see a relevance to humanoids from the future having developed powers using the mind and these creatures brought it with them to the past and those abilities were passed on.

I think they need to stick with a general and not a specific origin to Psionics because it doesn't cover everything.

Mercule

Adventurer
Mechanically, I'd like to see psionics differentiate itself by mostly avoiding big, one time effects, and focusing on abilities that you can use at will or turn on using psychic power.
This. I was ruminating on how I'd implement psionics, last night. One concept I really liked is having most powers have an "ongoing effect" entry in the description, much like a lot of spells have a "cast at higher level" block. Psionics should make heavy, heavy use of the concentration mechanic. I could see something like the following:

Phantom Flame
Choose a target creature. The target must make a Wisdom save. If they succeed, they are momentarily distracted by the mental intrusion and have disadvantage on their next check before your next turn. If they fail, they are covered in illusory fire that only they can see and suffer 2d6 psychic damage.
Ongoing effect: While you maintain concentration on this discipline, the target must make a Wisdom save at the start of their turn or suffer 1d6 psychic damage and have disadvantage on the first check or attack made. On a successful save, the effect ends.

Note: effects are for illustrative purposes, only, and not evaluated for balance, level scaling, or other playability factors.

Remathilis

Legend
Finally, no power-spell equivalents? That's impossible. There already is plenty of divine-arcane equivlanets (Dispel Magic, Detect Magic, etc.) so it makes sense for there to be an equivalent in other mediums of supernatural abilities.

I think Mearls is referring to the phenomenon of "psionic detect thoughts", where it was " see spell in PH" as a description.

Remove ads

Remove ads