• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

min/max me a cleric

handforged

First Post
Str - 18
Dex - 10
Con - 16
Int - 14
Wis - 17
Cha - 16

High to-hit bonus
wearing heavy armor, so dex doesn't do much
two extra skill points (Concentration, Diplomacy(if human) Heal, Knowledge(religion), Spellcraft) human)
pump up wis at 4th level
Domains Strength and Healing (Magic, War, and Destruction could also be nice)
Combat Casting, Extend Spell (for buffs), Improved Initiative, Leadership (wizard cohort)

You will rock the house, keep 'em healed, and never take no for an answer.

~hf

Victim

First Post
I like going with 18 WIS. At some point, you'll want to use spells to attack or for buffs and WIS provides you with an extra spell or more at higher levels and increases the spell DC. When you cast hold person, you want it to stick. After all, each spell that you cat should always be more valuable than the healing spell you can convert it to.

STR: 17
dex: 10
con: 16
int: 14
wis: 18
cha: 16

This ability arrangement should give you enviable spell casting, more than adequate melee ability, nice turn undead and skill points.

With buff spells, I've found that a cleric's melee ability is more than adequate, even with lower stats. I play a cleric with much lower stats (17 wis, 13 str, 14 con) in a group that has much higher average stats. With the low score of 17 in STR :), you should do fine in melee.

Clerics might want Concentration, spellcraft, scry, and knowledge religion.

The war domain is good, as is magic. Sun domain offers some nice offensive spells, but only at higher levels. The Good domain gives you the ability to learn to craft Holy weapons, which are quite powerful.

Extend spell is an excellent feat for clerics, as you can keep buffs running.

A partial list of good spells:

1: divine favor, endure elements, pro evil
2: silence, bull's str, endurance, resist elements, spiritual weapon, hold person
3: dispel magic, searing light (against undead), magic vestment, pro elements, magic circle

Timotheos

First Post
Jalon Odessa said:

Now your stats are extremely well-rolled. :p)

Yeah i know, and they are actually rolled honestly, in front of the DM and all. i belive someone must have put an enchantment spell on the dice or somrthing like that

Timotheos

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
If this was in Rules, I could help you.

I just saw this, is this kind of topic supposed to be there? in that case i´m sorry :(
anyway, i´m going to post this over there, so just ignore this then

2victim: At the first 3 levels a cleric gains no special benefit from a wisdom of 18. At level 4 he can take the bonus ability point and take it on wisdom.
In the first level every little bonus point of strength can help a lot - the base attack bonus won`t do the difference here...

Carnifex

First Post
Actually, a cleric does gain benefits from 18 Wis at below 4th level - a +1 to will saves, +1 to any skill involving wisdom (ie listen and spot), and a +1 to the DC of his spells!

Remove ads