D&D 4E Min/Maxing in 4e

Is 4e min/max and should it be allowed?

• Yes, 4e is min/max so you should allow it.

Votes: 68 36.4%
  • Yes, you should allow min/max, but no, 4e is not a min/max system.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • No, you should not allow min/max even though 4e encourages it.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No, 4e is not min/max, you should not allow it.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Lemoncurry.

Votes: 36 19.3%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
mattdm said:
Well, they get an additional at-will power from their own class, where presumably there's a match for one of their high stats.
Wizard, Warlock (except Fey), and possibly Warlord.

Not Cleric or Paladin.

Ranger, Fighter and Rogue have a hard time choosing a 3rd power they want, but it's technically not guaranteed to be useless for them.

mattdm said:
As I understand it, what you're saying is that you agree that the half-elf could stand to be slightly bolstered, but that the only reason is that they don't have a strong enough option for racial feats and that adding one comparable in power to the other racial feats is all that's needed. Is that about correct?
Not quite. I'm saying that this one specific way of bolstering the Half-Elf would be giving away too much if it were free.

Cheers, -- N

mattdm

First Post
Nifft said:
Not quite. I'm saying that this one specific way of bolstering the Half-Elf would be giving away too much if it were free.

I'm still not convinced, but I never convinced myself the other way either. What would you suggest as a more minor improvement, if any? And given the addition of said minor improvement, would the suggested feat still be balanced?

(I agree with you, by the way, that making +2 Con into +2 floating is too much.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
mattdm said:
I'm still not convinced, but I never convinced myself the other way either. What would you suggest as a more minor improvement, if any? And given the addition of said minor improvement, would the suggested feat still be balanced?
Well, access to this feat turns a usually useless ability into a decent ability, and encourages either multi-classing (to get implements to boost that ability) or dipping into classes which share a power source (to just use one implement).

To convince yourself: look at the expected attack bonus difference, and compare it to racial abilities which give an attack bonus. Then compare racial feats which give an attack bonus.

Cheers, -- N

mattdm

First Post
Nifft said:
To convince yourself: look at the expected attack bonus difference, and compare it to racial abilities which give an attack bonus. Then compare racial feats which give an attack bonus.

Okay, so the one that really jumps out at me is the dragonborn's racial ability, where you choose the ability score you want to use in a very similar way.

The elven reroll ability is different, but also worth a lot more than this (especially given that you can use it on a big daily power).

In which direction is this exercise supposed to convince me? :)

Remove ads