Mindflayer Themed Campaign (Recruiting Closed!)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
stonegod said:
Okay, here is an idea floating in the back of my head:

Sharlith would be a psionic ilithid with a few power/feat replacements in order to quality for Master of the Unseen Hand Prc (CompWar) tweaked for psions. The idea is that he would be a master of telekinetic force in order to take out the foes that mental-blasts cannot handle alone. I'll post stats Sunday/Monday-ish, assuming your fine with the idea.
It sounds fine in principle, but how do you intend to qualify for the telekinesis part of the PrC.

BTW that happens to be one of m fav PrC.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Lord_Raven88 said:
It sounds fine in principle, but how do you intend to qualify for the telekinesis part of the PrC.

BTW that happens to be one of m fav PrC.
I was planning on modifying some of the base powers and feats, unless those are fixed in stone.

stonegod

stonegod said:
I was planning on modifying some of the base powers and feats, unless those are fixed in stone.
To be clearer, I'd modify the base psionic mind flayer's powers/feats. The PrC I would modify to still require 8 ranks of Concentration but instead of telekinesis require the three powers telekenitic force, telekenitic thrust, and telekenetic maneuver.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
stonegod said:
To be clearer, I'd modify the base psionic mind flayer's powers/feats. The PrC I would modify to still require 8 ranks of Concentration but instead of telekinesis require the three powers telekenitic force, telekenitic thrust, and telekenetic maneuver.
Where are the TK force/thrust and manuever powers described? I'm truely confused as to what you're meaning.

stonegod

Lord_Raven88 said:
Where are the TK force/thrust and manuever powers described? I'm truely confused as to what you're meaning.
They are all XPH (Expanded Psi Handbook), which I just saw is not explicitly in your source material.

Anyway, the three powers replicate the three uses of the single telekenisis spell.
- telekinetic force: psion 3
- telekinetic maneuver: psion 4
- telekinetic thrust: psion 3
Hope that is clear.

Is XPH an allowed source (should be, since they are mind flayers, after all)?

Lord_Raven88

First Post
stonegod said:
They are all XPH (Expanded Psi Handbook), which I just saw is not explicitly in your source material.

Anyway, the three powers replicate the three uses of the single telekenisis spell.
- telekinetic force: psion 3
- telekinetic maneuver: psion 4
- telekinetic thrust: psion 3
Hope that is clear.

Is XPH an allowed source (should be, since they are mind flayers, after all)?
Yes XPH is in.

Exactly how are you intending on gaining these three powers to enable you to qualify for Master of the Unseen Hand?

stonegod

Lord_Raven88 said:
Exactly how are you intending on gaining these three powers to enable you to qualify for Master of the Unseen Hand?
Psionic mind flayers have exactly the same powers and power points as a 9th level psion. The idea was to modify the stock list (replace some of the given powers). AFter all, that is a typical mind flayer. The idea is that Sharlith would have been differently trained.

I guess the question comes down to is: Is the power selection and Feats given for a typical mind flayer set in stone (i.e., we can only add, not modify)?

stonegod

stonegod said:
Psionic mind flayers have exactly the same powers and power points as a 9th level psion. The idea was to modify the stock list (replace some of the given powers). AFter all, that is a typical mind flayer. The idea is that Sharlith would have been differently trained.

I guess the question comes down to is: Is the power selection and Feats given for a typical mind flayer set in stone (i.e., we can only add, not modify)?
And, just as an FYI, the alternative build (if we cannot modify the stock) would be to take a level in psion (becoming a psion 1), take two of the powers as the ones granted by that level, and take Expanded Knowledge as the 9th HD feat. Its not as optimized of a build (can only be an Telepath 1/Unseen Hand 2 instead of an Unseen Hand 3), but it still works.

hero4hire

Explorer
This game is different enough to have really intrigued me. I will thumb through my books and see if I can come up with something interesting. I'd probably try for something a bit more "Martial" oriented since others seem to cover other angles.

Inconsequenti-AL said:
Just to make sure I do it properly - the Mind Flayers Psionics ability allows my 'orrible beastie to qualify as an elocator (preq: Able to manifest 1st level powers). The class feature that grants '+1 level to exisitng manifesting class' would then start me off as a 1st level psion?

Thanks!

Not that I am the DM, but this type of question has come up in a FR campaign (a Fighter from Halruaa had the Magic Training Feat and wanted a Magic PrC). The Class only adds to existing Manifester Levels, it doesnt actually add Psion levels. Or Psychic Warrior ones. Only adds to existing ones for Manifester level purpouses. The key word is EXISTING manifesting class.

hero4hire

Explorer
Wow! Found a perfect class! But it is in the Underdark book. It is called Illithid Body Tamer

Illithid Body Tamer
Illithids who embrace the Tamer Creed believe that military might is. the most important factor in their race's future mastery of the multiverse. These so-called body tamers seek to impose their will upon the Underdark primarily through martial force, forswearing diplomacy, tricks, and alliances. Body tamers believe so strongly in the importance of physical strength that they train themselves as warriors, not mentalists.

Illithid body tamers sacrifice some ability in the psionic arts for the advancement of their physical abilities. However, they believe that the acquisition of tangible martial ability is more than worth this price.

Adherents of the Tamer Creed maintain various martial facilities in the larger illithid cities of the Underdark. Within such sanctums, they discuss the philosophy of warfare, devise novel tactics in never-ending wargames, and train fervently in their art. Tamer facilities each contain a small arena where the body tamers practice their arts against expendable slaves.

Often, groups of illithid body tamers organize defense teams to fight off githzerai or githyanki hunting parties that appear suddenly, intent on mind flayer murder. These former thrall races continue to nurse an undying grudge against illithids, and the body tamers intend to be ready to protect their own.

Hit Die: d10

To qualify to become an Illithid Body Tamer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:

Race: Illithid, illithidkin, or a creature with the half-illithid template.
Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Base Attack Bonus: +6.

They get Full Attack Progression and have good Fort and Ref saves.
At first level the Gain "Mental Abstinence" if they dont use thier Psionic Abilities (save Telepathy) in the past 24 hours they gain 10 temp HP plus 4 HP per Class Level and a +2 insight bonus to damage. They also gain "Strength of Arms" at 1st. which essentially allows them to use thier tentacles and a Melee weapon in the same round. (They get to choose which one is primary and which is secondary)

2cd level they get..nothing!!!

3rd level thier Tentacle damage goes up to 1d6

I can send the full class to your e-mail if needed or IM it to you on Yahoo.

Remove ads