Mindflayer Themed Campaign (Recruiting Closed!)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
hero4hire said:
This game is different enough to have really intrigued me. I will thumb through my books and see if I can come up with something interesting. I'd probably try for something a bit more "Martial" oriented since others seem to cover other angles.

Not that I am the DM, but this type of question has come up in a FR campaign (a Fighter from Halruaa had the Magic Training Feat and wanted a Magic PrC). The Class only adds to existing Manifester Levels, it doesnt actually add Psion levels. Or Psychic Warrior ones. Only adds to existing ones for Manifester level purpouses. The key word is EXISTING manifesting class.
That sounds reasonable to me.

Also the Illithid Body Tamer is fine, as I have the FR Underdark I'll make sure I review it.

Thramzorean

First Post
Definitely interested in this... like the idea of the Elocator build, one of my all time fav PrCs :D ... I'll have to see what I can come up with in a new vein...

Wrahn

First Post
Was there a clear ruling made on whether we are using the XPH version of Mindflayers (which are like the MM one, sans their spell like abilities but as 9th level psions). Also is the paladin of tyranny (from UA) acceptable?

Thramzorean

First Post
Using the XPH version makes the +1 manifester level easy... :)

Not putting anything in stone yet but are the following viable
a) Magic of Incarnum - evil incarnate ?
b) abberant symbiots from the Eberron setting? To be purchased as treasure ref Pg 154 of Magic of Eberron which outlines the prices/value (just think they're a nice touch...)

I'm actually tending at the moment to a Soul Eater, I had to blow a mountain of dust off my BoVD to check that one out heh, kinda like the thought of getting some use out of it again finally... but my currently intended route would be a modified XPH mind flayer with some stygian powers, Soul Eater and symbiot or two for some more abberant wierdness... with perhaps an extra twist...

Wrahn

First Post
okay, barring opposing ruling:

Class: Aberration 8/Paladin of Tyranny 2/Soul Eater 1

Str 26 (16 Base +2 Race +2 Level +6 Enhancement)
Dex 16 (12 Base +4 Race)
Con 20 (14 Base +2 Race +4 Enhancement)
Int 18 (10 Base +8 Race)
Wis 14 (8 Base +6 Race)
Cha 18 (12 Base +6 Race)

Race:
-Land Speed 30 (20 in armor)
-Darkvision 60ft
-Natural Armor +3
-Natural Weapons: 4 tentacles (1d6)
-Mind Blast (sp) DC 18
-Psioinics (sp) (at will) Charm Monster (DC 19), Detect Thoughts (DC 16), levitate, plane shift, Suggestion (DC 17) caster level 8
-Improved grab: a creature (S, M, or L) hit with a tentacle may start a grab attempt as a free action
-Extract: If the mind flayer begins it’s turn with 4 tentacles attached it can extract the brain and kill the opponent instantly
-Spell Resistance 28 (25 + Class level)
-Telepathy 100ft

Class:
-Aura of Evil
-Detect Good (at Will)
-Smite Good 1/day
-Divine Grace
-Deadly Touch
-Energy Drain 1

Saves:
Fort +21 (7 Class + 5 Con + 4 Cha +5 Resistance)
Refl +16 (4 Class + 3 Dex +4 Cha +5 Resistance)
Will +19 (8 Class + 2 Wis +4 Cha +5 Resistance)

AC 37 (10 Base + 3 Dex +3 Natural +10 Armor +7 Shield +4 Defection)
HP 109 (8d8 + 2d10 + 1d8 + 55 Con)
BAB/grapple +9/+17

Tentacle +20 (9 BAB +8 Str +2 Enhancement +1 feat) damage 1d6 + 10 + energy drain 20/x2

Feats:
1. Alertness
3. Weapon Focus (Tentacle)
6. Improved Natural Weapon (Tentacle)

Skills:

Bluff +13 (11 Ranks + 4 Cha)
Concentration +13 (9 Ranks + 5 Cha)
Hide +16 (13 Ranks + 3 Dex)
Knowledge +6 (Arcana) (2 Ranks + 4 Int)
Listen +17 (13 Ranks + 2 Wis + 2 feat)
Move Silently +16 (13 Ranks +3 Dex)
Sense Motive +14 (12 Ranks +2 Wis)
Spot +17 (13 Ranks + 2 Wis +2 Feat)

Items:
16,000 Belt of Constitution +4
36,000 Gloves of Strength +6
25,000 Cloak of Resistance +5
32,000 Ring of Protection +4
25,350 +5 Breastplate
25,170 +5 Large Steel Shield
24,000 Amulet of Mighty Fists +2
11,015 Adamantine Undead Bane Long Sword +1
5,465 unspent

and I apologize Thramzorean, was not my intent to "steal" the Soul Eater concept, just a parallel work

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Wrahn said:
Was there a clear ruling made on whether we are using the XPH version of Mindflayers (which are like the MM one, sans their spell like abilities but as 9th level psions). Also is the paladin of tyranny (from UA) acceptable?
Wow! I didn't even realise that they had done a psionic version of the Mindflayers in XPH. Lets go with that version!

Paladin of Tyranny is acceptable.

Thramzorean said:
Using the XPH version makes the +1 manifester level easy...

Not putting anything in stone yet but are the following viable
a) Magic of Incarnum - evil incarnate ?
b) abberant symbiots from the Eberron setting? To be purchased as treasure ref Pg 154 of Magic of Eberron which outlines the prices/value (just think they're a nice touch...)

I'm actually tending at the moment to a Soul Eater, I had to blow a mountain of dust off my BoVD to check that one out heh, kinda like the thought of getting some use out of it again finally... but my currently intended route would be a modified XPH mind flayer with some stygian powers, Soul Eater and symbiot or two for some more abberant wierdness... with perhaps an extra twist...
A) Yes.
B) Yes, but I don't want characters to be too heavyily based on world specific rule books.

dog45

First Post
[sblock=Lord_Raven88]Given that all Mindflayers have telepathy, it's redundant for a Mindflayer Thrallherd to learn the Mindlink power. Will you veto that requirement?[/sblock]

Lord_Raven88

First Post
dog45 said:
[sblock=Lord_Raven88]Given that all Mindflayers have telepathy, it's redundant for a Mindflayer Thrallherd to learn the Mindlink power. Will you veto that requirement?[/sblock]
[sblock=Dog45]Telepathy only works out to 100 ft, while a mindlink once established can operate over any non-planar distance. As such I'm going to leave this in as a required power.[/sblock]

Thramzorean

First Post
Wrahn said:
and I apologize Thramzorean, was not my intent to "steal" the Soul Eater concept, just a parallel work
*&^%$#@! ... oops, the finger just got stuck there... heh. Yeah, well been there done that, you sort of wish you could ban all pre-chat before character presentation because it can spoil your own good idea sometimes. But it does tend limit full blown character clashes, the swings and the slides sort of thing. No problems, my illithid concept is quite a different theme... :D

Remove ads