• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minis

Dungeonmaster P

First Post
megamania said:
errr....too many figures.

over 1000 metal and painted
about 500 metal and unpainted
about 1200 of the "new" Wotc figures
about 150 misc toys being used as figures
about 500 Games workshop

clearly too many can't wait for Deathknell, Angelfire and Underdark however :D

oh yes- zombies- from Wotc Minis-
harbinger series- 14
troglodytes- 9
giants series- 12
ogres- 3
Games workshop 16
metal- 5
misc- 12

Too many

*Impressed* My collection stands at 300 minis. Oh and 30 Zombies... Games Workshop... :)

scourger

Explorer
too many minis

Like some other posters here, I have too many minis. Most are metal and unpainted. Although I enjoy painting, it is too time consuming, especially as a DM. Spending a few hours to paint a mini that will see use one time as an NPC or monster is just not a good investment of time for me. Also, the costs add up. Don't forget storage, too. The advantage is that you get exactly the figure you want (especially if you are willing to customize)--great for player characters.

I have only bought 3 booster packs of D&D minis. I hope not to buy more. They are mostly great looking, but you can't choose what you want. There is a thrill to buying a box and opening it to see what you get. They are probably best for people just getting into the game and DMs especially since many of the figures are monsters.

One of the best solutions I ever used was to scan & print monsters onto cardstock that I then cut & taped into qsuares for a mini-campaign. Since they fold falt even after taped, I could carry many, many in a clasp envelope. I still used painted metal minis for the PCs as I had them, and it gave a nice contrast between the PCs and the foes.

If I had it to all over again, I would use that system of metal minis for the PCs with paper minis for the foes. I bought Conter Collection Digital, which should fill the bill for any cardstock mini that I want to create. If not, I would use scans of art from the book or grab pictures from the Web.

As it stands, I hope to greatly curtail my mini purchasing by using what I've got. I may even sell of some of minis to move the plan to fruition.

hong

WotC's bitch
I too have caught the D&D minis bug. And here I was, gloating about how I'd managed to avoid the whole CCG phenomenon. Alas, disposable income, I knew you well.

diaglo

Adventurer
hong said:
I too have caught the D&D minis bug. And here I was, gloating about how I'd managed to avoid the whole CCG phenomenon. Alas, disposable income, I knew you well.

my hat of the d02 WotC minis knows no limits... i have a little of 1000 of the little pieces of wasted plastic.

and around 11000 lead ones from the 70's on up.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
diaglo said:
my hat of the d02 WotC minis knows no limits... i have a little of 1000 of the little pieces of wasted plastic.

and around 11000 lead ones from the 70's on up.
All this talk of people with thousands of minis gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's like, whew! I'm not as hooked as other people out there. On the other hand, damn! So that's how many more I have to buy to catch up!

coyote6

Adventurer
hong said:

It's a disease, I tell you. A horrible, terrible disease.

Now, excuse me, I need to go see if I can find a Valenar Commander.

Bagpuss

Legend
hong said:
All this talk of people with thousands of minis gives me mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's like, whew! I'm not as hooked as other people out there. On the other hand, damn! So that's how many more I have to buy to catch up!

I know the feeling... I gave up on the idea of completing sets of the D&D Miniatures. The gaps between the releases are wide enough for the causal buyer, and they arn't producing enough for boxes to stay on the shelves after the production run ends. Heck in the UK we are sometimes luckly if ship enough for them to stay in the shops for more than a weekend, that's why I have to do most of my purchasing online.

When they came out with these I thought the idea was they were going to be an impulse purchase item like CCG's, but the increase in price and such limited supply has sort of blown that idea out of the water, if you don't buy them pre-order they cost about 30% more if you can find them at all.

I occasionally trade rares to get multiples of more useful common and uncommon figures, like Gnolls, and the like. But Drow are a nightmare to get in significant numbers since everyone wants them and they are all at least uncommon. Even Orc archers are hard to get since they are uncommon and only in the original set, and everyone wants at least 10. :confused:

frankthedm

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Even Orc archers are hard to get since they are uncommon and only in the original set, and everyone wants at least 10. :confused:

I use mageknights for this purpose, always plentifull, usally cheap, the orcs only have 3 fingers, but they look cool.

Ebay and PJCC.com should be good sourses for mageknight.

Attachments

• orc.jpg
    orc.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 76

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads