D&D (2024) Missing - 2024 Starter Set

Reynard

Legend
Do we really think the 2024 rules will be so changed that the previous starter set (Stormwrack) won't be good enough to work as a basic introduction?
Intro/Basic rules do not need to be a perfect match to the advanced/complete rules. It's a "Starter Set".
It isn't just the rules, it is the art direction and the overall design and the culture of the thing.

After you have spent the $70.00 for it and likely another $70 for the PHB. The box sets allow you to try the game for $20.00 and have the basic things you need to hopefully spend the rest.
I am really lost. What do you want to tell me? Why whould you buy the starter set after buying the DMG and the PHB. Isn't it the other way around?

aco175

Legend
I am really lost. What do you want to tell me? Why whould you buy the starter set after buying the DMG and the PHB. Isn't it the other way around?
I was pointing out that you referenced the new DMG having a first adventure in it so maybe no need for a box set. I was saying that to play it, you need to spend the money getting the DMG which is a lot for someone looking to try the game out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hit me last night that among the 2024 lineup announcements, no mention was made of a 2024 Starter set. Can't imagine there won't be one at all, so wondering if they just haven't locked down a date for it or if instead of coming out before the PHB like the 2014 Starter set did it will come in 2025 sometime? Also wondering if that set will remain in Forgotten Realms or go somewhere else, perhaps someplace new? Know it's unlikely, but would love to see it use Exandria as the setting. EGtW is in my opinion the best setting book of the 5e era.

Speculation welcome! When will we see a 2024 rules starter set and what setting will it use?
Crawford previously said that the Stormwreck box set will be the Starter Set for the foreseeable future after the revision is out.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was pointing out that you referenced the new DMG having a first adventure in it so maybe no need for a box set. I was saying that to play it, you need to spend the money getting the DMG which is a lot for someone looking to try the game out.
The core books will be $60, not $70, and the Starter Set is already out for about $16 at Target.

aco175

Legend
I wonder how that marketing meeting went at Wizards.
Hey, bossman, are we doing anything cool for the 50th anniversary. Looks like a lot of new players will be hearing about the game and might lead to lots of new players.
We have this new Vecna book coming out where you can play levels 10-20.
Is that something for new players trying the game out for the first time?
Well, no, but we have the starter set from a couple years ago.
And you want people to buy that with the old revisions and not the newest rules?
You're too young to remember the 1e/Basic lines running together and how new players would buy both and not complain.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Crawford previously said that the Stormwreck box set will be the Starter Set for the foreseeable future after the revision is out.
He did, but I think this is a lost opportunity to do another Starter, this one with the new rules printed. Also, this isn't a universally loved adventure, so I think there is room for something different. It's not like Stormwreck is NEW, it's been out a long time. Existing players (if it is good) would buy a new starter, not just new players.

Of course, I could be wrong....and it isn't a missed opportunity.

I was pointing out that you referenced the new DMG having a first adventure in it
I said that.
so maybe no need for a box set.
You fantasized that.
I was saying that to play it, you need to spend the money getting the DMG which is a lot for someone looking to try the game out.
Ah. Now I understand your reasoning based on a false premise.

I pointed out that now the DMG also comes with an introductory adventure, so there is no big pressure to push something out asap. Especially when there was just an overhauled starter set out in the wild that will serve the purpose well enough. It should be easy to include different pregens in it. And slap a 2024 label on it if you actually put those in the box.

Remove ads