D&D (2024) Missing - 2024 Starter Set

OB1

Jedi Master
Hit me last night that among the 2024 lineup announcements, no mention was made of a 2024 Starter set. Can't imagine there won't be one at all, so wondering if they just haven't locked down a date for it or if instead of coming out before the PHB like the 2014 Starter set did it will come in 2025 sometime? Also wondering if that set will remain in Forgotten Realms or go somewhere else, perhaps someplace new? Know it's unlikely, but would love to see it use Exandria as the setting. EGtW is in my opinion the best setting book of the 5e era.

Speculation welcome! When will we see a 2024 rules starter set and what setting will it use?

aco175

Legend
I mentioned it some time back and thought it should have a red dragon this time. I think some people thought that Wizards is not making one to play down the part of a new edition.

Clint_L

Hero
Good point - it is weird that nothing has been announced. The current starter set would work fine with the updated rule set, but it would still be great to see a new starter as part of the revision.

I use Exandria for my home campaign and also would love to see it as the setting, but sadly I have to agree that it is extremely unlikely, especially as Critical Role has been slowly distancing themselves from D&D. I think it highly likely the Forgotten Realms will continue to be the setting for any starter set.

That said, EGtW already works as an awesome starter set, given that it includes not one, not two, not three, but FOUR level 1-3 campaigns.

Reynard

Legend
Dragons of Stormwrack is the current starter set. They outright said they planned for it to remain as such.
I have not played or read that one. Is it as extensive as Phandelver? If so, it seems strange if they would not at least update the rules and art to match the 2024 set. if it is more of a one shot thing, though, I can see it not being a big deal.

OB1

Jedi Master
Good point - it is weird that nothing has been announced. The current starter set would work fine with the updated rule set, but it would still be great to see a new starter as part of the revision.

I use Exandria for my home campaign and also would love to see it as the setting, but sadly I have to agree that it is extremely unlikely, especially as Critical Role has been slowly distancing themselves from D&D. I think it highly likely the Forgotten Realms will continue to be the setting for any starter set.

That said, EGtW already works as an awesome starter set, given that it includes not one, not two, not three, but FOUR level 1-3 campaigns.
DoS is great, but they would need to at least update it with the new 2024 rules for it to still work as a single purchase introduction to the current D&D ruleset, right?

Given the shift to the 'multi-verse' as the core setting, I wonder if they might set a new starter adventure in a 'generic' setting, but have the final chapter of it take the PCs to Sigil through a portal to discover the larger setting.

Do we really think the 2024 rules will be so changed that the previous starter set (Stormwrack) won't be good enough to work as a basic introduction?
Intro/Basic rules do not need to be a perfect match to the advanced/complete rules. It's a "Starter Set".

Nah. The real reason for having a starter set isn't just to introduce new players. I mean, it is for that, but it's also to have a boxed product you can sell at mainstream retailers like Target and Wal-Mart, one that takes up less shelf space than three hardbacks and has a lower price-point.
Yes. But still there was talk about including your first adventure right there in the DMG.

Last edited:

Remove ads