D&D (2024) Missing - 2024 Starter Set

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I bet they do one after all the updated rulebooks are released - maybe late 2025 or early ‘26. It’s a good way to maintain hype and product momentum to release after the core books are out there.
Sounds like a good way to discourage people from buying it, as they would already have emptied their wallets for new corebooks.

Of course, some people just buy whatever WotC puts out, so maybe that won't matter. I just expect that however they handle it, it'll be whatever way they think will maximize profit.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
He did, but I think this is a lost opportunity to do another Starter, this one with the new rules printed. Also, this isn't a universally loved adventure, so I think there is room for something different. It's not like Stormwreck is NEW, it's been out a long time. Existing players (if it is good) would buy a new starter, not just new players.

Of course, I could be wrong....and it isn't a missed opportunity.
Phandelver was better. They got it right the first time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The whole point of "Backwards Compatibility" is so that the 5e back catalogue remains viable. The Essentials Kit and the 2nd Starter Set remain in print and in stores. They do the job "well enough" for your average gamer, who is generally not so rules-junky as to worry about a few small changes between the "Basic Rules" (which are in the starters) and the "Full Rules" (which will be in the PHB) as we here, who are generally fussier than average. WotC knows this.

Plus, there will be an intro adventure in the DMG, which presumably will walk the DM through how to run it. They're solid for now on that front.

I'm sure a few years down the road they will produce another starter. The first one was a LOT better than the 2nd one. Hopefully they'll improve it again.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ooops, ya, was looking at DoiP release date. My bad.
No worries: lots of Dragons in those Dungeons with funny names.
Stormwreck is a mess, imo....but I can see why they want to keep it as the starter given its current lifespan.
I haven't looked too closely at Stormwreck Isle, not the target market, bit I have heard good things about the box from a pedagogical point of view: a good step by step learning setup, even if the Asvebture is only so-so objectively.

Lost Mines of Phandelver was so much better than it needed to be, lol.

OB1

Jedi Master
Crawford previously said that the Stormwreck box set will be the Starter Set for the foreseeable future after the revision is out.
Had forgotten about that, and thinking about it more I guess it really does do the job well enough. Things missing from 2024 like weapons masteries for fighters might just add additional complexity for true beginners that isn't strictly necessary.

Still, they could start printing new ones with revised pre-made characters that use some of the 2024 rules and even tweak the book itself to the new rules w/o creating an entirely new box set.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Had forgotten about that, and thinking about it more I guess it really does do the job well enough. Things missing from 2024 like weapons masteries for fighters might just add additional complexity for true beginners that isn't strictly necessary.

Still, they could start printing new ones with revised pre-made characters that use some of the 2024 rules and even tweak the book itself to the new rules w/o creating an entirely new box set.
The current Starter Set only goes to Level 3, so not too much new to cause confusion. I would not be surprised if they do an errata to bring it in line, which would conveniently be automatic in Beyond.

Remove ads