Mixing Versions?

Reproth

First Post
I know DM's are creators of there world so as long as I see it as okay it should be. I was curious if it was bad to mix versions I've been doing it for 5years (Since I was 14). I really want biased opinions maybe even debates in mixing things.

I use.

3e
3.5e
Eberron
(My PC's count Eberron as a version in itself same with Unearthed Arcana)
Unearthed Arcana
Pathfinder
4e (Races only -_-;)
AND MORE between the creation of 3e, 3.5, 4, and Pathfinder.

Naturally my argument if my PC's get a lot of cool abilities and really powerful skills cause of really abusing each versions variants, and buffs and character fluffs the monsters can abuse these things too and I can up the difficulty level.

Anyways just looking for opinions.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I make use of a lot of 1st Edition rules when I DM 3rd or 4th Edition (encounter tables, morale, etc.). I make use of the 4th Edition monster lore when DMing 3rd Edition. I am even considering adopting the 5th Edition Background concept when I run my next campaign regardless of if I am playing 1st, 3rd, or 4th Edition.

It is my opinion that as long as you and your players are enjoying playing then continue to mix, match, kitbash, and house-rule the game.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
You're not alone. While I don't play or run 4e I pretty freely mix stuff from older editions, and even import stuff from completely different game systems on occasion to deal with special cases and exceptions.

There's no such thing as badfun, all fun is good, so have some fun.

Li Shenron

Legend
If you mix rules you may sometimes run into problems.

But if you mix character material (as long as the material is applicable to the edition providing your rules basis) the worst that can happen is to have some options too good or too bad, but generally the difference is rarely dire.

irdeggman

First Post
There is nothing wrong with it.

It just requires a lot of attention as a DM due to mixing "mechanics". Things work drastically different between versions (including 3.0 and 3.5 despite the insistence of WotC). Actions types are the biggest single difference, DR and SR follows closely. Oh yeah let's not forget how AC and BAB/To Hit works differently.

Eberron is not a different version though, it is actually a "setting" and its rules technically only apply to that setting. The same with Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun. Any picking and choosing from those to apply to a generic campaign are by definition house-rules, nothing wrong with that just a statement.

Unearthed Arcana is technically a list of "options" and not a version - so it is something that a DM uses to change the core rules. Many of the options in the book are mutually exclusive in that you can only choose one of them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
[MOSTINTERESTINGMANINTHEWORLD]
I don't often mix D&D editions, but when I do, I prefer to use a toolbox RPG system, like HERO.
[/MOSTINTERESTINGMANINTHEWORLD]

Greenfield

Adventurer
I played in a game run by a man who preferred 1st/2nd Ed., but who allowed 3rd ed in. It was a mess.

He was running a published module (3.5) that I'd been through before. I warned him of my foreknowledge, and kept mum about what I knew, but that foreknowledge gave me an insight to the things he wasn't seeing straight.

1st Ed gave movement in squares, not actual feet. Squares in 1st Ed were 10 feet, so the way this man ran it the place was immense. Iterative attacks in 1st Ed were different as well, and bows started at two shots per round. Mix that with a 3.5 Ranger with Rapid Shot and the DM was in shock at what was happening.

Without belaboring all the difference he ran into, let me simply say that it's the little difference that sneak up and bite you in the behind. Expect surprises.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's why I run things like that through a toolbox system filter- iterative attacks, scale, etc., will all be handled the same way.

Remove ads