D&D 5E MM Excerpt: Bone Devil

Huh. Bone devils can fly now. With funky-looking dragonfly wings. They look like Hell's answer to pixies.

Not much else to say about it. Monster with claw/claw/sting. Sting inflicts the poisoned condition and poison damage. Standard devil resists and immunities. Pretty dull, mechanically. The hooked polearm option spices things up a bit, but only a bit.

They had the wings back in 1e. It just vanished for some reason after.

Ranes

Adventurer
Huh. Bone devils can fly now.

Actually, that made me do a double take. I've never used one in 3e, in which they're flightless, but a bone devil was the first creature I ever faced in 1e (yes, really) and it could fly then. Tricky critter.

The new art is very good but makes the beastie look too draconic for my taste.

Thanks for the link, MonsterEnvy.

Roger

First Post
I'm glad these sorts of monsters got their old names back. That said, I can live with them not being "TYPE XXXIV" if I have to.

Derren

Hero
I think this is the first non legendary monster with weapon immunities, is it? Ok, it can be harmed also by silver weapons instead of just magical ones but so far I thought this was reserved for legendary monsters.

jadrax

Adventurer
I am thinking Grapple target with polearm, fly upwards at 20 ft. per round dragging victim, while repeatedly stinging them in face each round.

jrowland

First Post
I am thinking Grapple target with polearm, fly upwards at 20 ft. per round dragging victim, while repeatedly stinging them in face each round.

That was my first thought, or rather, a swarm of them..so more like a level 14 encounter, 2 or 3 or per PC...

Remove ads