• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MM Excerpt: Bone Devil

Grazzt

Demon Lord
[EDIT2] Just cuz now it's been on my brain for a night, I'll keep rolling with this to have it done. Additions to Lesser Devils in red. Greater Devil material, normal. [/EDIT2]

This probably needs a spin off thread...

Unless I overlooked something, they don't differentiate between natural and magical (cold, fire, etc). So, cold damage is cold damage be it from subfreezing temps or from a cone of cold. Same for fire, lightning, and so on.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Unless I overlooked something, they don't differentiate between natural and magical (cold, fire, etc). So, cold damage is cold damage be it from subfreezing temps or from a cone of cold. Same for fire, lightning, and so on.

Yeah. I know. I was just writing stuff up off the top of my head...how I would do it. And I've always thought "unnatural" creatures should probably require "unnatural/arcane/magical" solutions...A devil shouldn't care if they are sent into the heart of a volcano or the make a 1,000 miles trek across a glacier to fulfill some mission/directive from their higher ups...or on some scheme of their own accord. Getting hit with a fireball or cone of cold should do some, if not full, damage. But being in "hostile [to most PC races] environments" shouldn't really matter to them...or so I've often thought.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Yeah. I know. I was just writing stuff up off the top of my head...how I would do it. And I've always thought "unnatural" creatures should probably require "unnatural/arcane/magical" solutions...A devil shouldn't care if they are sent into the heart of a volcano or the make a 1,000 miles trek across a glacier to fulfill some mission/directive from their higher ups...or on some scheme of their own accord. Getting hit with a fireball or cone of cold should do some, if not full, damage. But being in "hostile [to most PC races] environments" shouldn't really matter to them...or so I've often thought.

Agreed. (And I also agree with an older post SKR made in the 3.x days about fewer absolutes, like immunities. Monsters should have high resistances, but not outright immunity except in a few cases maybe. I think the example he gave was a fire giant, immune to fire, can walk into the heart of a star, no big deal. Or get eaten by the elemental god of fire, no fire damage.)

Remove ads