Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
25+ years and the movie is still being discussed & aired = classic
25+ years and the movie is being discussed with this passion = cult classic

B-)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Not to mention that those caves go everywhere under that town, and nobody has ever come across them before (well, except for Copperpot and One-Eyed-Willie...)

But...uhm...do not mistake the above comment for anything other than absolute love and adoration of this movie...:eek:;)

Seriously though, I do agree with most of your criticisms of the movie. But, besides the nostalgia of it being a movie I saw in high school, it's a movie I took my wife (then girlfriend) to see when we were dating. So, I've got a bit of sentamentalism wrapped up with it also. She loves it too.:)

While you're nitpicking...

Why not mention the fact that Ma Fratrelli's hide out was actually located 20 miles from Astoria? OR that the tunnels would have ran under Cannon Beach not Astoria Origon (going by the landmarks in the final scene and the exterior of the restaurant) even though the treasure map obviously represented the cape Astoria is located on.

Or why not mention the obvious fact that One Eye Willie's ship was an Spanish Galleon, meaning that One Eye Willie would have needed to bury it back during the 1600s - late 1700s (since a fort was constructed in the area in the early 1800s). Also, because the ships haul had no iron reinforcement or special coating (and was not maintained), it should have deteriorated to the point where it would not be sea worthy. Especially considering that there were large octopi in that sealed off cove.

By "classic," Crothian means "mediocre but covered by a mucous-like gloss of nostalgia"!

Even when I saw it the adventure in the goonies was really sub-par compared to the adventure I could have pictured in my head. Scads of lost potential and plot holes and just dumb choices. Re-seeing it as an adult, it was even worse than I imagined.

Plus, it featured Short Round, and he still has a lot to answer for from Temple of Doom.
No surprise - the director of Temple of Doom is one of the writers of Goonies and the guy's a totally talentless hack. But I did like 1941, which he was also responsible for.

Besides, Piratecat is blind in one eye - he can't possibly appreciate quality motion pictures viewing them all in 1-D.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Goonies? Is that the one with annoying kids going into caves but there wasn't any real fantasy to it? I vaguely recall boring trailers for it and assumed it was a straight-to-video thing.

:?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Goonies? Is that the one with annoying kids going into caves but there wasn't any real fantasy to it? I vaguely recall boring trailers for it and assumed it was a straight-to-video thing.

:?

That's because you were not under the influence while watching it. I'm willing to bet that its at least 2x better if drunk on absinthe.

Remove ads