Moderator colours and colour blindness

Nagol

Unimportant
Reliance on the colour red is the exact thing we've been asked not to do.

Many forms of colour blindness are difficult to explain to people. It's not "don't rely on a specific colour" much of the time. It's more "certain shades of colour combined with specific contrasts are indistinguishable from each other".

I tend to undersee red for example (it's one of 2 types of red/green colour blindness). So dark reds on a bright background tend to be blackish and light reds on a dark background tend to be grayish. My brain has some software patches (learned differentiation - I "see" redheads on a B/W television, for example) for the hardware limits and so some grays appear either reddish or greenish depending on hue and saturation.

Larger patches of colour tend to help allow the colour to bleed through which is why I initially suggested bolding -- it increases the font width and would tend to make the colour more apparent. It also adds a different type of differentiator that that's always helpful regardless of particular disability.

As another person with color issues, I think the bolded "Mod Note" that Umbram did in this post worked great for improving visibility: Sensitivity Writers. AKA: avoiding cultural appropriate in writing

I would also like to throw out that the color of the warning tag at the top of this post ( Sensitivity Writers. AKA: avoiding cultural appropriate in writing) is a little more difficult, because it's extremely close to the colors of "XXXXXX said" in the reply box, but the icon and placement are good enough that I don't see the color as being a major issue.

Hussar

Legend
Thirded for someone else with color blindness issues.

Frankly, while I know it's intrusive, that honking big orange text works for me. I haven't seen a mod note since the new forums went up. :/

Bolded would go a long way to making it stand out.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

For folks who care, this is the format I'm currently working with for "mod voice" posts - bolded top line, but normal text. Using bold text for the entire post has the dual problem of not leaving the moderator options for adding emphasis, and runs the risk of people feeling that moderators are "shouting" at them, and that usually leads to a communication dynamic I'd hope to avoid. I hope you find it works well for you.

Nagol

Unimportant
Mod Note:

For folks who care, this is the format I'm currently working with for "mod voice" posts - bolded top line, but normal text. Using bold text for the entire post has the dual problem of not leaving the moderator options for adding emphasis, and runs the risk of people feeling that moderators are "shouting" at them, and that usually leads to a communication dynamic I'd hope to avoid. I hope you find it works well for you.

That red must be lighter/brighter than the original or there's just more of it and the bulk makes seeing the colour possible. It is much easier to notice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases