Modern Enemies

Krensky

First Post
Nazi's are the only real world socially acceptable modern enemy that won't offend any. Well, that and white males in general. So I guess the old "He-man woman-hater club" is an "ok" target. Just make sure Buckwheat and Stymie are not around

Well, I'd say that Nazis are the easiest. After all, everyone hates Nazis (at least anyone who I'd want at my table does). Tyrannical conspiracies, and terrorists work too, but you can run into issues if you always expect the PCs to chase them, and they might seem blase.

Similarly, street gangs and organized crime is easy to use, but can run into issues if someone views them from a sociological perspective rather then a villain one. Typically the trick is to have them kick a puppy and threaten the PCs sense of power somehow.

Faceless mooks work too. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Nazi's are the only real world socially acceptable modern enemy that won't offend any.

Well, it is nazis, zombies and robots. ;)

Modern game, I would look at corps. Big business or a shadow government that are the powers that be, you know, the guys that start wars just to get a pipeline built or so they can dig dimond mines. They are the mover and shakers of the big five:

• Energy
  • Drugs
  • Weapons
  • Human Trafficing
  • Water Rights

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
During Hitler's disastrous march into the USSR, there were Nazi elements that got left behind, but survived in secret across the Soviet countryside. When the USSR fell, disaffected Soviets spread out from Moscow, and many of them fell in with these hidden Nazi camps. Over the last few years, they've integrated, perfecting their blend of evil to form...

COMMIE-NAZIS!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Zombie Nazis...and while you're at it, Zombie Ninjas.

Mutant Life forms, natural or man made

Alien life forms, especially those yoinked from older sources, like Triffids.

Variants of Dr Who villains

The REAL creatures behind the monsters of myth and legend- like "elves" who are actually crashlanded alien Greys with stasis tech: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks meets Underhill meets X-Files.

Other-dimensional creatures, such as you'd find in Clive Barker's Imajica or Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

arscott

First Post
Easiest way to get a copy?

The SRD on the WotC website

d20 ModernSystem Reference Document

Thank you, Jonathan Tweet.

(Miss the pictures? the art gallery is here d20 Menace Manual Art Gallery)
IIRC, the MSRD only contains the monster statistics, which is only a small part of what makes the book cool. It's chalk full of organizations and NPCs suitable for a modern campaign. I'd recommend the Menace Manual, if you can find it at a decent price, for any modern game regardless of system.

ST

First Post
Agreed on the Menace Manual. That's got plenty of adversaries to get you going with some X-Files style paranormal action, and they have the equivalent of the old "Ecology" sections to help you figure out why this or that thing that shouldn't exist is present.

A decent amount of the fluff is taken from Dark*Matter, but there's plenty of new stuff as well, and I doubt there are many copies of D*M floating around these days, so it's the best way to get the material.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases