Mods, can you please move my thread

Crothian

First Post
I wouldn't move it, technically it is about Pathfinder and should go in the Pathfinder forum. Just because one poster thinks it is a troll doesn't mean anything. I'm no mod but I found nothing offensive in the thread.

Nagol

Unimportant
This isn't aimed at Walking Dad. It's just an explanation why I would consider it potentially a troll.

The absolute best form of trolling doesn't involve offensiveness, it involves provocation.

It starts arguments and causes hardened positions from the respondents while allowing the instigator to look on innocently and go "What? I did nothing wrong! All I said was..."

In this case, walking into a fan area and saying "The thing you like is the equivalent of <this other thing that many people despise for a variety of reasons> and here is a list of superficial congruences to prove my point!" ends up being somwhat provocative without being offensive.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In this case, walking into a fan area and saying "The thing you like is the equivalent of <this other thing that many people despise for a variety of reasons> and here is a list of superficial congruences to prove my point!" ends up being somwhat provocative without being offensive.

Comparison should be a fair tool for analysis.

If we are at the point where folks say, "If you make what I consider to be an unflattering comparison, I'm going to consider you to be trolling," then we should just close up shop and send everyone home. Such an outlook is a non-starter for actual discussion.

You don't like his comparison? Either walk away, or politely present points that show it to be invalid. The former is appropriate self-restraint, the latter is good discussion.

Nagol

Unimportant
Comparison should be a fair tool for analysis.

If we are at the point where folks say, "If you make what I consider to be an unflattering comparison, I'm going to consider you to be trolling," then we should just close up shop and send everyone home. Such an outlook is a non-starter for actual discussion.

You don't like his comparison? Either walk away, or politely present points that show it to be invalid. The former is appropriate self-restraint, the latter is good discussion.

I'd go so far as to say comparison and contrast are the fundamental tools of analysis. That doesn't mean they can't be used with intent to provoke though.

What is provocative is generally dependent on the composition and mood of the group being addressed. Telling beer drinkers that all colas taste the same is generally unprovocative. Saying Coke tastes like Pepsi on a forum dedicated to Coke lovers... is likely to get a stronger reaction.

I'm not saying seeing something provocative should provoke a response though. Incitement to riot is not an excuse for rioting in my world view. Additionally, not all statements that seem provocative were meant to be such; some evoke a response that the sender didn't imagine and other messages fail to deliver the sender's intent clearly (which is why it is such a good form of trolling... plausible denaibility).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
This one to 'General':

http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/313624-paizo-new-palladium.html

Reason: Another poster considered it trolling to post it in the Pathfinder subforum. I really don't want to agitate anyone.

If you consider the thread offensive, please remove it. It wasn't my intention, but English isn't my native language.

Thanks.

I agree that it should be moved to General. It's not just about Paizo, it is also about Paladium, and the General Forum is where any EN Worlders who are Paladium fans (who aren't also Paizo fans/forum frequenters) are going to see it. Of course, if the only consideration is whether Paizo forum/fans will see it, then I suppose you can plug any other company into the subject line, but then you have to wonder if it is a serious discussion or a troll. Doesn't seem like trolling to me, but I think the "humor" tag is throwing some people off.

Remove ads