Moms who banned DnD

Altalazar

First Post
diaglo said:
wow. a thread i haven't posted some of my horror stories on.

i had a buddy with strict parents.

i loaned him my Rogues Gallery...he wanted to read about the Greyhawk characters in the back and other things over the course of several game sessions.

his church decided to have a book burning party in the parking lot of our county library. they checked out the D&D material from the library and burned it. they encouraged their parishioners to add to the flames. my buddy's things went up in smoke. thing is he didn't own anything. he had borrowed it all. so my stuff went up in smoke. :mad:

do you know how many bottles and cans i collected; yards i mowed; papers i delivered; cars i washed; and odd jobs i did to buy those books?

i didn't blame my buddy. but i sure didn't speak to his folks much afterwards.

You know, that is a CRIME - as well as a Tort. You could have sued the church for damages and brought them up on criminal charges and had them thrown in jail. Sad, sad.

I guess I'm lucky I grew up in a rather tolerant community with tolerant parents.

DM Toad

First Post
Fire and brimstone for me thanks.

The 80s were not kind to me. Religious parents, religious school, and my desire to DnD landed me into a host of 'lectures' with the preachers, teachers, and guidance counselors. Im 30 years old and married and I still hide my DnD books (quite a library now that I make a living) from my folks when they visit.

Doesn't help that the first book of Dnd my mom looked at in the past 15 years happened to be the book of Vile Darkness at the book store. It was so enjoyable to have my 'closet' hobby rebuked over Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Shrug. Guess they will never get it.

Kesh

First Post
I think my mom was a little concerned, but she didn't worry a lot. We had a talk, and once she was satisfied I didn't believe in spellcasting 'n such, she was fine with it. She got a little more worried when my sister wanted to play Shadowrun with us, but relented when my sister turned out to be just as understanding that it was a game.

She actually had a good character too... yeah, she did the elven princess thing. Only the princess was a spoiled rich brat who ran with the group as a teen-rebel thing. And she had so many magical foci on her character, she was practically lit up like a Christmas tree in astral space. :cool: We had a ton of fun in those sessions.

Vahktang

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
My D&D club in High School met in my Spanish teacher's room. She had heard of D&D, knew what it was about, but it wasn't her thing so she never played. Still, she stayed after school and did work in her room so that we'd have a place to play for a few hours.
Aaawww.
That's nice.
So there you go, the bishop said it's okay.
And that's Kewl.

My parents never really questioned me about it.
I was kind of a latchkey kid by then.
But my buddy burned his books.
And we were all going "If you want to get rid of them, give them to us!"

More later,

Vahktang

PowerWordDumb

First Post
diaglo said:

I think I'm gonna go home and burn my 1e stuff right now!

Actually, I'm far more likely to burn down a church or two on the way home as payback for oppressing me back in the 80's. My 1e books get to live for another day!

Henry

Autoexreginated
To many book-burners, OD&D was the One True Kindling. Others just didn't give off that same fiery-orange glow. :D

Now, those poor Hardcovers just smoke and fume and destroy more lung tissue.

I had a pretty tolerant mom, who understood that it wasn't true that D&D "was the Devil" (to coin a phrase from my neck of the woods). In fact, she watched VERY carefully what I watched on TV and read for fun, and I thank her posthumously for it quite frequently, when I watch three-year-olds quote Eminem fluently and use colorful metaphor to describe their parents and teachers, and each other. :) D&D was a result of her watching what I did, not in spite of it.

I think I might have responded earlier on this thread, but that was months ago so I'm not sure; my parents didn't worry about D&D because it was "evil"; they worried about it because it was potentially an obsessive hobby. Show's how "in tune" they were. ;)

PowerWordDumb

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I think I might have responded earlier on this thread, but that was months ago so I'm not sure; my parents didn't worry about D&D because it was "evil"; they worried about it because it was potentially an obsessive hobby. Show's how "in tune" they were. ;)

As with Joshua, I think I've previously responded as well (apart from my facetious comment earlier, I mean), but I'm feeling particularly thankful for good parenting these days, so I'll give mom & dad some more props.

Ditto on the "compusion" bit being the point of concern, though Dad was additionally bothered by my spending every free penny on gaming materials. When Mom clued him in that I *could* have been spending it on alcohol and drugs like many of the other kids around, Dad got 'hip' real quick and began buying me cool goodies too. I was extremely lucky to have the parents that I had, for more reasons than gaming obviously, but particularly in light of the rabid gamer oppression that was the theme of the day back then - at least where I lived, if you were into D&D *AND* heavy metal music you were obviously a lost cause that needed to be ostracized and/or 're-educated'.

Remove ads