• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Money System in D&DN?

What currency system should D&DN use?

• Gold standard, 10 silvers to the gold

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • Gold standard, 100 silvers to the gold

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Silver standard, 10 silvers to the gold

Votes: 52 40.6%
  • Silver standard, 100 silvers to the gold

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.4%

Dausuul

Legend
Over on this thread, we had some discussion about silver standard versus gold standard. A while ago, there was talk from the designers about perhaps moving D&DN to a silver standard, but we haven't heard anything about that in some time, and the playtest packets have pretty consistently followed 3E conventions for pricing. So I thought it'd be interesting to spin off a new thread on this topic... with, of course, a poll.

To clarify a bit, when I say "gold standard" here, I mean what has typically been the case in D&D: Most "interesting" prices, which is to say, prices that players still have to think about once they have an adventure or two under their belts, are denominated in gold pieces. A "silver standard" would move all prices one step down the scale, so a thing that previously cost 10 gold pieces would now cost 10 silver pieces; silver would be the customary currency, with gold occupying the role that platinum does now, a rare form of wealth seldom seen in everyday transactions.

The other question is how big the tiers between currencies ought to be. D&D has mostly assumed a 10-to-1 conversion, so there are ten silver pieces to the gold piece. However, 4E introduced an interesting twist: Above the gold piece, tiers were 100-to-1, so you had a hundred gold to the platinum and a hundred platinum to the astral diamond. This was presumably done out of necessity, because 4E items got really expensive at the high levels and PCs would have needed wagonloads of gold pieces to pay for a healing potion. But that doesn't mean it's a bad idea! There's something to be said for a sharper distinction between currencies, and this could be brought down and applied to silver/gold as well. It would be especially useful in stocking hoards--a higher ratio means you can have monster lairs strewn with enormous heaps of copper and silver pieces, without wrecking the game economy. On the other hand, people are pretty used to 10-to-1 by now, and you'd risk causing a lot of confusion.

(Historically in the real world, 20-to-1 seems to have been about the going rate, but that seems like more complexity than it's worth. They tried it in AD&D and dropped it by Second Edition. Feel free to make the case for it though!)

What do you think? Gold standard as it's traditionally been done, or silver standard? 10 silver to the gold, or 100? Or something else entirely?

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'm all for the silver standard. I like the 10sp = 1gp for tradition, but in most ways 100sp = 1gp is better. The 100 to 1 conversion makes each type of coin have a strong place in the economy, and it's actually pretty easy for people to understand from a modern perspective. If the silver piece is the standard, then it becomes like the dollar. The copper piece is the penny, and the gold piece is the hundred dollar bill. This becomes more useful is we consider these values as they were before inflation rendered the penny worthless.

While current prices are a bit out of whack, Gold is about fifty times the price of silver, and gold and platinum are actually rather similar in value. Of course, in the time period we're discussing, Platinum was far more difficult to come by.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Voted for silver standard, and a 10-1 ratio. I love the silver standard after converting to it (gold is really valuable when the PCs get it). And, my reasoning for the 10-1 ratio is the same as when my buddies used to want to play poker, and wanted to price the chips at 1-5-10-25; what's the point of the 1-unit chips, when there are 25-unit chips? Sure, you might have 30 1-unit chips and only 6 25-unit chips, but that's 30 value to 150 value.

I always got them to come around to much closer values, and I'd prefer that be the case with silver / copper, too. And, on a silver standard, gold and platinum (!) will always be valuable. I wouldn't mind seeing it at 5-1, or something, but I know that 10-1 is easier to convert, so I don't blame them for going that route. But, again, the silver standard makes my players love gold, when they get their hands on it. It has that special value, now, that it just didn't before. As always, play what you like :)

I like the 3e method where silver is standard for commoners and gold is the currency of nobels but found by adventurers.
I think they should just be more restrained in the amount of gold they hand out (which is easy when you don't have assumed wealth and magic item stores).

Adopting a silver standard just means commoners will start using coppers for big purchases and we'll need another smaller currency for cheap items.

jrowland

First Post
I vote silver at 100-1 for gold.

I have always tried to use a variant of the "BUC" system in all games. BUC = Basic Unit of Currency and is defined *loosely* on real world goods.

For example: A typical House is about $200,000 in the US. That would be 200,000 BUC's. For a Silver standard that would mean 200,000 sp for a typical home in D&D, or 2000 gp at the 100-1 ratio.

Another example: A typical car is about $20,000 in the US, or 20,000 BUC's, or 20,000 sp, or 200 gp. There are no cars in D&D, but a carriage and couple of horses are probably close enough and seems ok at 200 gp.

It's not perfect, by all means, but it does allow for "not in the PHB" items by using real world prices. A Barrel of Oil? $95 us = 95 BUcs = 95 sp = 0.95 gp (1gp) which probably fits well enough for a trade good.

Note the reverse is also "true": A dragons Horde containing 100,000gp is worth: 100,000gp = 10,000,000sp = 10,000,000 BUCs = $10,000,000! A nice way to bring home to the players just how much money they have in those unprotected wagons as they head into town...

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Silver standard, 10:1- but not as you describe it, where everything just switches to gp.

I prefer it to be a "silver standard" in that most treasure found is sp instead of gold, reducing treasure substantially. I really enjoy playing and running a scrape-by, no-money-no-prizes style campaign. (Well, NMNP is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.) One where the fighter might not have his plate mail until he's 3rd or 4th level.

keterys

First Post
Silver Standard, 100:1, with a suggestion that you go ahead and allow folks to have silver pennies and silver crowns, which are 10:1 steps between each, and frankly more realistic (people love having lots of different coin types)

Hmm, you could even have bigger things - like bars, which are 50 coins by weight, so half of the next metal up. Probably some interesting things you can do there, anyways.

Kavon

Explorer
Silver Standard, 100:1, with a suggestion that you go ahead and allow folks to have silver pennies and silver crowns, which are 10:1 steps between each, and frankly more realistic (people love having lots of different coin types)

Hmm, you could even have bigger things - like bars, which are 50 coins by weight, so half of the next metal up. Probably some interesting things you can do there, anyways.
This is what I'd like to see as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads