• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Money System in D&DN?

What currency system should D&DN use?

• Gold standard, 10 silvers to the gold

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • Gold standard, 100 silvers to the gold

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Silver standard, 10 silvers to the gold

Votes: 52 40.6%
  • Silver standard, 100 silvers to the gold

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.4%

cmbarona

First Post
Yeah, still it is the kind of material you'd wish to make tools and other heavy duty machinery out of if it was viable, instead of the precise and fine things you can do with silver. (Did I mention I love silver?)
That's... nice, but doesn't have any bearing on the topic at hand. Unless I'm mistaken about the point you're trying to make, in which case, please correct me. You said platinum is useless, and now you're saying it would be useful if not for its rarity. So, thanks for agreeing with me, I guess. To make some broader points, I would argue:

1. Precious metals are precious because of their rarity, so it's moot to argue in a discussion about currency that a metal has less economic value because it doesn't do anything besides being rare.
  2. If we could set aside the issue of rarity because the worlds we create have metal rarity as we ordain (with some notable exceptions, like historic or post-apocalyptic settings), then there are other factors that make a metal useful as a form of currency. Non-reactivity is very important for both gold and platinum, to ensure both purity and longevity. Density could be an important factor as well, for the logistical considerations involved in its transportation in large quantities. And it's not an objective value, but prettiness undoubtedly plays an important role in how much value a society ascribes to something ("Ooh, shiny!"). I'm sure there are others.
  3. All metals have viable uses aside from rarity and non-reactivity... I assume. I'm not a chemist, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That's... nice, but doesn't have any bearing on the topic at hand. Unless I'm mistaken about the point you're trying to make, in which case, please correct me. You said platinum is useless, and now you're saying it would be useful if not for its rarity. So, thanks for agreeing with me, I guess. To make some broader points, I would argue:

1. Precious metals are precious because of their rarity, so it's moot to argue in a discussion about currency that a metal has less economic value because it doesn't do anything besides being rare.
  2. If we could set aside the issue of rarity because the worlds we create have metal rarity as we ordain (with some notable exceptions, like historic or post-apocalyptic settings), then there are other factors that make a metal useful as a form of currency. Non-reactivity is very important for both gold and platinum, to ensure both purity and longevity. Density could be an important factor as well, for the logistical considerations involved in its transportation in large quantities. And it's not an objective value, but prettiness undoubtedly plays an important role in how much value a society ascribes to something ("Ooh, shiny!"). I'm sure there are others.
  3. All metals have viable uses aside from rarity and non-reactivity... I assume. I'm not a chemist, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, will try to tie it in again with the main topic at hand. But my point is Platinum really has no place on a fantasy economy, it being extremely overrated as a precious metal and not being as desirable on it's own as gold, silver or bronze. Granted Silver and Gold have always been rare in the western and ancient eastern world, but that isn't the only reason they are valuable, they are ver desirable by people, the moment a giant mountain made of silver was found in the 17th century it didn't became less valuable, it just caused inflation (as it happened with the gold fever later on). On the flipside Platinum has more industrial uses and it's price drops wildy whenever demand is reduced, if we suddenly found a mountain made of platinum its price would plummet making some goods cheaper, without otherwise affecting global economy. (In the same way purple clothes became dirt cheap when anhilin was discovered) . Some things are valuable because of their rarity, some other things are valuable because they are just desired that much, real world silver and gold belong on the later group, fantasy gaming silver and gold, not so much.

This is because fantasy gold and silver are 1) extremely common (more so with the gold standard) 2) not having their desirable and intrinsic properties being perceived 3) not having other uses beyond being currency (wouldn't it be cool if you could use the gold pieces from the last raid to cover the hilt of your sword and ornamenting your armor? or use it to have the local jeweler craft a fancy holy symbol? In fact I would venture Mithril comes actually closer to be the real world gold analog in D&D because of this).

Inflated prices made sense on both the original D&D and the first AD&D, the whole point was more about a group of gold diggers/adventurer/archeologists/grave robbers on a frontier setting (basically old wild west, except on medieval fantasy land). However it sets a bad precedent when it comes to gaming outside that gamestyle, which is far more common now than it used to be, and it has indeed shown a slight and progressive amount of inflation over the editions (and sadly it hasn't been enough infaltion to keep up with treassure leading to the aforementioned "I don't have anything to spend this on")

That is why I like silver standard over gold standard, but not only that, gold rewards have to be reduced accordingly, and more uses for gold have to be deevised (like using it to craft jewels, cover gear and stuff). And even then it might come to a point where a higher value metal is needed (at that point I suggest mithril instead of platinum, it makes more sense and gives it more flavor)

ko6ux

Adventurer
I personally like the "gold" standard with 100 cp = 10 sp = 1 gp. This also has the advantage of being a decimal system which makes converting coin amounts easier because it parallels the real world money systems that we use today.

I'd also prefer to see amounts written using some sort of stylized currency symbol (like a G with a line through it). So instead of saying that a monster horde contains 121 gp, 431 sp, and 745 cp you could just abstract it and say that there is Ḡ171.55 worth of coin.

MrBauxite

First Post
I voted Other.

I'd prefer a monetary system more like D20 Modern, with coinage just being a flavor/roleplaying element based on the campaign world.

Here here! I agree - as an adventurer (and certainly as you move upwards in experience / levels) the concept of carrying around 1000's of gp's of coin seems rather odd to me. I like the idea of a character have a wealth status and that defines how they might spend their downtime, what access to they might have to equipment etc. I don't feel coin-counting adds much to the RP'ing?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Here here! I agree - as an adventurer (and certainly as you move upwards in experience / levels) the concept of carrying around 1000's of gp's of coin seems rather odd to me. I like the idea of a character have a wealth status and that defines how they might spend their downtime, what access to they might have to equipment etc. I don't feel coin-counting adds much to the RP'ing?

There's something odd about such wealth systems, and d20 modern exemplifies it. They work alright until the moment your character needs to talk about real money. Negotiations, in particular come to mind.

Money is a form of wealth abstraction. The wealth mechanic is another type of wealth abstraction. It can become very confusing, and definitely awkward, when you try to switch between the two.

But, I tend to play games where money is a bigger factor. Which is why I prefer a lifestyle system where a character pays so much per month to buy a lifestyle, and then only has to pay for gear, bribes, and things outside that expected lifestyle.

I have a suggestion that might make most people happy.

Start with non-adventurers. Assume a silver piece is the daily wage of a common laborer. Set the prices of all goods and services based on that assumption. You can figure out from there how much money the middle and upper classes are dealing with. From there, based on rough estimates for how much cash goblins are toting around (monsters in general) and how well decorated wealthy people's tombs are, you can determine about how much cash adventurers deal with.

Set the value of gold (either 10 sp or 100 sp) based on what seems most appealing from there.

Include monthly and/or yearly upkeep rules that actually cost what makes sense (the upkeep in th 3.5e DMG is rubbish--the numbers don't add up).

Guidelines in the DMG can explain simplifed suggestions of altering prices locally (maybe even adding random tables) for those who want that sort of thing.

The thing that matters a lot more to me than what color an adventurers cash is is simply that people of the various social classes can actually make the money to buy the things they should be able to afford. This suggestion handles that while also handling other aspects of the money system.

I like the AD&D system:

10 cp = 1 sp
20 sp = 1 gp
5 gp = 1 pp

It has the advantages of resembling historical coinage and value: $1 US silver piece & $20 US gold piece

it also resembles the pre-1974 British system, in that it's not decimal-based, and 20:1 is the conversion for the two main coins.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Be that as it may, basing the prices on an abnormality instead of everyday life seems to me to be absurd.
That's because it is absurd. I doubt you did this intentionally, but you quoted me out of context to make it look like I was saying the precise opposite of what I was actually saying.

Kavon

Explorer
That's because it is absurd. I doubt you did this intentionally, but you quoted me out of context to make it look like I was saying the precise opposite of what I was actually saying.
Hm, yeah, I think I jumped the gun a bit there. I apologize.
I think it was more with the general argument in the back of my mind that some people were making of having the gold hoard discovery causing inflation and therefore the prices being fine, that I didn't read your post right and wanting to get that blurb out there.

sarria22

First Post
I like the idea of a silver standard with 100SP to 1GP, which allows electrum to be relevant serving as a coin between silver and gold.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads