Monitor Duty (Freedomverse OOC)

Prometheus doesn't have any traits that are specific to breaking objects, so no toes stepped on here.

Objects don't have Fortitude, only Toughness.
I'd drop the Alternate Resistance, increase the Damage and Penetrating, and change Affects Only Objects to a Limitation:
BREAKING BLOW: Damage 6 (1/rank), Strength-based (9 total), Penetrating 9, Limitation: Affects Only Objects (-1/rank) [15]

Quickleaf

Legend
Does anyone have objections to being new members of the Freedom League? I have an adventure I wrote that never got past the second scene. I think Shayuri may have played in it.

For this unfamiliar with the Freedom League. Think Justice League with twists on the iconic members. The team would have just gone through a recruiting drive, swelling thier ranks ( a LA Justice League Unlimited cartoon )

Would you want/expect us to purchase team benefits/lairs/etc. with character points?

hero4hire

Explorer
Nice, I like it! A little accidental dimensional thievery borrowing before breakfast. That actually makes for a great plot hook if Sandra isn't the only one capable of circumventing the usual securities of Shambala's inter-dimensional library...

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=20711]hero4hire[/MENTION] I just realized the Deflect power seems to apply to all non-area (and non-perception ranged attack...whatever that is) attacks targeting Dodge or Parry. I'm envisioning him being able to deflect unarmed/melee/thrown/arrow attacks but not firearms or energy blasts... How would I model that with Deflect? Take the Limited flaw? And what is a "non-perception ranged attack"?

Yes, that certainly is an acceptable Limited flaw.

hero4hire

Explorer
Re: Breaking things. I believe this would be a case of rules abuse. Just like Reaction Teleport. However, Weaken Toughness combined with Regular Damage is a legit combo.

Quickleaf

Legend
Prometheus doesn't have any traits that are specific to breaking objects, so no toes stepped on here.

Objects don't have Fortitude, only Toughness.
I'd drop the Alternate Resistance, increase the Damage and Penetrating, and change Affects Only Objects to a Limitation:
BREAKING BLOW: Damage 6 (1/rank), Strength-based (9 total), Penetrating 9, Limitation: Affects Only Objects (-1/rank) [15]

Ufff, I really don't understand point-buy. :(

My point-buy accounting for that power would be...

BREAKING BLOW: Damage 6 (1 pt/rank), Strength-based (0 pts, increases effective rank to 9) + Extras: Penetrating (9 pts) + Flaw: Affects Only Objects (-1/rank) [12]

By applying Affects Only Objects (-1/rank) to Damage (1/rank), that means net cost for this Damage power is 1 pt : 2 ranks (i.e. 1:2).

So I spend 3 points to get Damage rank 6.

Strength-based is a free option that only increases cost of +#/rank Extras.

I spend 9 points for Penetrating 9.

My total point expenditure is 12 points.

Quickleaf

Legend
Nope. Indeed you would be getting certain things for free.

Part of my PC Mythic Fist's background is that he's currently mistaken for a criminal known as "The Kung-Fu Killer" by cops and journalists. Not everyone believes it, but enough to merit a Bad Reputation complication. Given that we're supposed to be working for the Freedom League, a Justice League stand-in, is this sort of background inappropriate for what you're envisioning for "champions of Freedom City"?

Shayuri

First Post
I'll doublecheck this, but I believe the Objects Only limit would in this case cancel out the cost of the Penetrating extra, so your total cost would be 6.

Damage 6 ranks = 6 pts
Penetrating is +1pp/rank (applied to Str rank too)
Objects only is -1pp/rank (applied to Str too)

hero4hire

Explorer
Once more, with feeling!

[sblock=Hawk]
Archetype: Energy Controller

PL 10 (150 Power Points)

Strength: 0
Stamina: 3
Agility: 3
Dexterity: 3
Fighting: 3
Intelligence: 0
Awareness: 2
Presence: 3

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort
Great Endurance
Fearless
Benefit: Wealth 5 ranks (Billionaire)

Skills:

Energy Control 5
Intimidation 7
Athlete 4
Acrobtics 4
Investigation 4
Perception 4

Powers:
Offiensive
Gravity Control: Array
• Gravity Blast: Range Damage 12 – 24 points
o A blast of gravitic force smashes into the target.

• Alternate Effect: Gravikinesis: Move Object 12 – 1 point
o Using focused and directed gravity, Hawk can move objects from a distance, causing them to “Fall” in any direction he wants at a speed rank of (Effect Rank (12) – Mass Rank) or hover weightlessly in midair. He can move objects with mass rank equal to or less than his power rank (12).

• Alternate Effect: Crushing Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object (gravity), limited to pulling downward, Damaging (3 points per rank) 8 - 1 point
o This power intensifies the pull of gravity around Hawk while leaving him unaffected. Subjects in the field are effectively grabbed. If the subject’s Strength resistance check against the field’s rank fails by one degree, the subject is prone and restrained (Immobile and Vulnerable). If it fails by two or more degrees, the subject is bound (defenseless, immobile and impaired). Like a grab, you can make effect checks in succeeding rounds to increase the degree of an existing hold, and further degrees of success are cumulative. Adding the “Damaging” effect makes it so effected targets can get crushed under their own weight, the same as inflicting Strength Damage on a grappled target.

• Alternate Effect: Null-G Field: Burst Area Move Object, Limited to lifting upward, Completely Subtle (2 points +2 points per rank) 10 – 1 point
o The reverse of the Gravity Field power, in a Null-G Field, if the effect rank equals the subject’s weight rank, the subject floats, weightless, inside the field. This leaves subjects without other movement capabilities effectively immobilized.

• Alternate Effect: Low-G Lifting: Enhanced Strength, Limited to Lifting, Affects Others: 12 – 1 point
o By touching an object and reducing gravity’s effect on it, you make it lighter and easier to move, effectively increasing your strength when it comes to lifting heavier objects. It also “Affects Others” in that once he lowers the weight of an object, others can also move that object as if their strength was increased as well.

Defensive:
Immunity: Immunity 2 (Gravity Effects) – 2
Gravitic Shield: Impervious Protection 10, Sustained – 20 points

Utility

Energy Sense: Senses (Detect Gravity, Ranged) 1 – 2 points (Gravitational awareness, allows Hawk to sense Gravity Effects at a distance.)

Flight: Completely Subtle Flight 8 (500 mph) – 18 points

Free Fall Adaptation: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation – Zero Gravity) – 2 points
Hawk’s system is adapted to operating in near-zero gravity or free fall conditions. He suffers no circumstance penalties in free fall environments, including those of his own creation.

High-Gravity Adaptation: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptaion – High gravity) – 2 points
Hawk’s power allows him to ignore the effects of higher than Earth-normal gravity. He operates normally under higher gravity conditions, as if he were still under 1G.

Defenses:
Dodge: 4
Parry: 1
Fortitude: 7
Toughness: 0
Will: 8

Power Points:
Abilities: 34
Powers: 74
Advantages: 8
Skills: 14
Defenses: 20
Total: 150

Complications

Motivation: Responsibility
Relationship: Has a family
Responsibility: Has to be there for family
Responsibility: Has to pay attention to his assets
[/sblock]

I've gone through and counted the points, everything should work ok. Let me know if there's anything I haven't thought of, or if anything doesn't look like it works. All the powers are straight from the Gravity Supplement.

His points add up and I don't see any rules violations. However he is still a bit undercapped defensively. (about PL 8 on average) But I don't want to harp on that point too much. If you guys are okay with it, I am okay with it.

Remove ads