Monster Book?

GlassJaw

Hero
Hello,
how is the monster book coming? No news for a month...

There might be another preview soon...stay tuned!

Wulf has been working on the layout and I've been churning out patronage monsters as well as crunching on the NPC/monster customization section.

I've been throwing in some "bonus" stat blocks here and there as well. It's definitely given me a chance to flex some creative muscles as opposed to just converting stat blocks. The patronage monsters are really looking good.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I've been throwing in some "bonus" stat blocks here and there as well. It's definitely given me a chance to flex some creative muscles as opposed to just converting stat blocks. The patronage monsters are really looking good.
Wheee! Can't wait to see all the patronage monsters in all their glory . . . Excellent tease with the "bonus" stat blocks!

Mmmm . . .

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'm jammed up on the lycanthropes, the last of the SRD monsters. GlassJaw and I can't seem to come to a resolution that (in my opinion) sufficiently cuts through the crap and "Trailblazerizes" these suckers.

Once that's set, the rest of that section can fall into place-- massaging the pages and dropping in illustrations. When that's done, the entire SRD will be done, and I'll likely release the PDFs to Kickstarter patrons.

Then we wrap up the last of the patronage monsters, a little bonus design ju-jitsu from me, and we're done.

joela

First Post
2012. Uh, monster book...?

I'm jammed up on the lycanthropes, the last of the SRD monsters. GlassJaw and I can't seem to come to a resolution that (in my opinion) sufficiently cuts through the crap and "Trailblazerizes" these suckers.

Once that's set, the rest of that section can fall into place-- massaging the pages and dropping in illustrations. When that's done, the entire SRD will be done, and I'll likely release the PDFs to Kickstarter patrons.

Then we wrap up the last of the patronage monsters, a little bonus design ju-jitsu from me, and we're done.

Available first quarter this year? :p

GlassJaw

Hero
Available first quarter this year? :p

That would certainly be nice... :p

The lycanthrope section was a little bit of a setback. After some lengthy discussions, I'm in the process of redoing all the stat blocks, although it's coming out a LOT better this time around. The patronage monsters are about half done. After that is finishing the customization section and layout. We can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

jedavis

First Post
Hey, just had a friend (running a TB campaign this coming semester) ask me if the monster book will include monster downgrade rules, much like the monster upgrade rules, for those situations where you want to use a particular monster for the flavor / abilities, but it's just too strong (potentially much too strong) for your PCs. Is this a thing? If not, has any research been done on this topic?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
Hey, just had a friend (running a TB campaign this coming semester) ask me if the monster book will include monster downgrade rules, much like the monster upgrade rules, for those situations where you want to use a particular monster for the flavor / abilities, but it's just too strong (potentially much too strong) for your PCs. Is this a thing? If not, has any research been done on this topic?

Interesting. It's not something I can say we are addressing specifically (and it's not something I hear as a common "complaint") but it shouldn't be that difficult to do. We will be providing charts that will let you modify a creature's "spine" quickly: BAB, saves, Hit Dice.

That said, is it really that difficult to do now? What type of creature are you looking to downgrade? If it's a specific ability you want to use, why not just give that ability to a less powerful creature?

Or even better, creature a "new" creature from scratch by just advancing the Hit Dice of the monster type (again, its Spine) to the level you want, slapping on the abilities you want it to have, and describing it in-game the same way you would the normal version. Your players will never know the difference.

Last edited:

Remove ads