D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded III HARDCOVER/PoD is FINALLY OUT! Get it now from the DM's Guild!

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Loving MME III, I found I needed to search all three so I have created a spreadsheet with CR, sourcebook and Page Number. I also reorgainised the names to allow searching/filtering. There are no links involved,
I hope this is okay to share, if not I can remove.

I plan to expand the list with terrain/environment next.

Regards Parmnay13

This is awesome, Parmany! Really appreciate the time and effort you put in here. :)

This is awesome, Parmany! Really appreciate the time and effort you put in here. :)
I've actually been doing something similar, but adding the MM, VGtM, and MToF. Mainly just names, CRs, and which book they are in. Basically if I wanted to quickly see, say, all the goblin options available in both the official sourcebooks and the MMEs, I had a quick list available so I didnt have to go from book to book checking. I plan to update it with FToD and the finalized version of the MME3 later this year.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
I've actually been doing something similar, but adding the MM, VGtM, and MToF. Mainly just names, CRs, and which book they are in. Basically if I wanted to quickly see, say, all the goblin options available in both the official sourcebooks and the MMEs, I had a quick list available so I didnt have to go from book to book checking. I plan to update it with FToD and the finalized version of the MME3 later this year.
That's great! Hope you can share it too!

That's great! Hope you can share it too!

OK, let's see if this worked, since it won't let me upload the spreadsheet directly and I had to follow @Parmany_HøygoblinKhan and make into a zip file.

By the way, looking at it now, I probably should create a new first column with the overall monster type of each group. It's usually pretty obvious, but in the animals and NPCs sections at the end, the breakdown isn't immediately obvious (animals are grouped by type alphabetically - amphibian, ape, arachnid, etc. - while NPCs are grouped alphabetically by presumed character class - artificer, barbarian, bard, etc.). Also ignore the varying typefaces, that was originally from before I put in the sources, and different typefaces indicated different sources...

Like I said, I'll create an updated version once FToD and the POD version of the MME3 come out, with edits for things I just mentioned...

Attachments

• Monster Spreadsheet.zip
    35.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Now, as for further suggestions for MME3:

The higher level guardinals seem to be a bit weak compared to other groups of extra-planar creatures, with the leonal topping out at CR 9. I'm not sure if there's time to edit them to give them more of a CR spread, but it would be nice to see the ursinal and leonal get into double-digit CRs at least (and maybe the lupinal and avorial move up a CR or two as well). If not, maybe have some advanced versions in the MME4?

Any chance of getting different sized paraelementals like your different sized elementals in the MME1 (medium and huge)? And I'd love to see the quasielementals in MME4 (even if the quasi-elemental planes don't canonically exist any more, quasielementals could come from areas of the inner planes that have heavy positive or negative energy influence).

As for things I like so far: I love the engkantos. High-CR fey are severely lacking so far in 5e, and these fit perfectly into that gap. Gatorfolk are a niche I didn't know I wanted filled, and I'm glad to have them now. And of course, I'm always a sucker for more giant variants!

I'm still only part of the way through a thorough read-through, so I'll have more suggestions as I continue on!

Last edited:

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Now, as for further suggestions for MME3:

The higher level guardinals seem to be a bit weak compared to other groups of extra-planar creatures, with the leonal topping out at CR 9. I'm not sure if there's time to edit them to give them more of a CR spread, but it would be nice to see the ursinal and leonal get into double-digit CRs at least (and maybe the lupinal and avorial move up a CR or two as well). If not, maybe have some advanced versions in the MME4?

Any chance of getting different sized paraelementals like your different sized elementals in the MME1 (medium and huge)? And I'd love to see the quasielementals in MME4 (even if the quasi-elemental planes don't canonically exist any more, quasielementals could come from areas of the inner planes that have heavy positive or negative energy influence).

As for things I like so far: I love the engkantos. High CR-fey are severely lacking so far in 5e, and these fit perfectly into that gap. Gatorfolk are a niche I didn't know I wanted filled, and I'm glad to have them now. And of course, I'm always a sucker for more giant variants!

I'm still only part of the way through a thorough read-through, so I'll have more suggestions as I continue on!

Believe it or not, my first build of the guardinals had their CRs ranging from 5 to 15. However, as I progressed into development I realized that the celestial type lacked low to medium level CRs. So I scaled them down to make them more accurate to their 3rd edition counterparts. There are high-level guardinals, ones that can rival the CR 18 and higher devils, demons, and lower level demon lords and archdevils. They are the paragon members of Talisid and the Five Companions. This is something I can explore later on, if ever.

The different sizes of paraelementals are possible in the future. I really wanted to include them in MME3 but I was running out of space. Seriously, I had to cut a large number of statblocks (including the miscellaneous beasts, which will now be part of MME4).

The gatorfolk are based on D&D basic's Creature Catalog gator men. And yes, for the same reason, I was fond of them because they gave me a more brutish and evil version of the lizardfolk. They make good low level bosses leading lizardfolk gangs and at higher levels they make good humanoid guards/troops that work for high-level swamp-based bosses (black dragons, etc.).

Believe it or not, my first build of the guardinals had their CRs ranging from 5 to 15. However, as I progressed into development I realized that the celestial type lacked low to medium level CRs. So I scaled them down to make them more accurate to their 3rd edition counterparts. There are high-level guardinals, ones that can rival the CR 18 and higher devils, demons, and lower level demon lords and archdevils. They are the paragon members of Talisid and the Five Companions. This is something I can explore later on, if ever.

The different sizes of paraelementals are possible in the future. I really wanted to include them in MME3 but I was running out of space. Seriously, I had to cut a large number of statblocks (including the miscellaneous beasts, which will now be part of MME4).

The gatorfolk are based on D&D basic's Creature Catalog gator men. And yes, for the same reason, I was fond of them because they gave me a more brutish and evil version of the lizardfolk. They make good low level bosses leading lizardfolk gangs and at higher levels they make good humanoid guards/troops that work for high-level swamp-based bosses (black dragons, etc.).
OK, that makes sense for the guardinals - you're definitely right about the lack of mid-level CR celestials. I knew about Talisid and the Five Companions, and guessed you probably didn't have time/room for the individual named high-level celestials. Perhaps in MME4 you can have some variant versions of the regular guardinals (and archons), like the variants of the regular demons and devils (barbed devil captain, etc.) in MME1.

And I had noticed the lack of a miscellaneous beast section. Definitely makes sense to move them to MM4 if you needed to make room.

Høygoblin_Khan

I'm not the messiah, I'm just a very naughty boy!
OK, let's see if this worked, since it won't let me upload the spreadsheet directly and I had to follow @Parmany_HøygoblinKhan and make into a zip file.

By the way, looking at it now, I probably should create a new first column with the overall monster type of each group. It's usually pretty obvious, but in the animals and NPCs sections at the end, the breakdown isn't immediately obvious (animals are grouped by type alphabetically - amphibian, ape, arachnid, etc. - while NPCs are grouped alphabetically by presumed character class - artificer, barbarian, bard, etc.). Also ignore the varying typefaces, that was originally from before I put in the sources, and different typefaces indicated different sources...

Like I said, I'll create an updated version once FToD and the POD version of the MME3 come out, with edits for things I just mentioned...

A lot of work has been done already by others to include MM, VGtM, etc. See this

I need to merge them as I am trying to orgainise Hobgoblin Legions & Tribes including the Utimate Bestiary -Revenge of the Horde which is excellant too,

Rhuarc

Explorer
I really wanted to include them in MME3 but I was running out of space. Seriously, I had to cut a large number of statblocks (including the miscellaneous beasts, which will now be part of MME4).
Is MME4 coming out first or the potential revision/update to the first two books? Regardless of what the answer is, already looking forward to it! :)

Remove ads