• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual: What's missing which has impacted you?

neobolts

Explorer
generalhenry said:
sure, they're core, but when was the last time the PCs got into a fight with one.

They simply don't fit into many encounters.

We tend to use centaurs as a punching bag. They are very tribal and territorial. And in our campaigns they tend to be surly drunkards who aren't outhouse trained.

Nothing I have missed in practice, and not much I foresee missing much, either, but here's the monster I liked to see, though most of them have no priority.

- Formians. I need some Borg Hive like non-evil beasties bend on expanding their worlds. I have actually statted them as an "exercise" for using the monster guidelines. I suppose I should post them in House Rules. ;)

- Delver. (Elite Brute?) Liked that one, though I only ever used it as a shape shifter form for my Druid.

- Animals. Lots of animals. I think we'll see more of them eventually, but I somewhat miss the 3E MM appendix with animals.
I would like to see a return of Master of the Wilds "Legendary" animals - as Paragon Tier equivalents of regular animals. They should be magical beasts, not mere animals, though. They represent the awakened and paragon versions of their species.

- Shrieker done right. He should not just stand around there! Maybe a Controller (Leader)?
And I also liked the Phantom Fungus, despite the totally metagame reason for his existence. (Maybe a Lurker?)

- Xill. There must be some race that infests other creatures with his eggs! Also a great opportunity to use the cool disease rules. Probably a Lurker (can turn insubstantial)

It's funny that we share 3 monsters we want to see again!

There are probably others, but these stand out.

Baron Opal

First Post
Good Grief! That kobold article is great!

I was not going to even look at subscribing to DDI, but if they keep turning out this kind of stuff my resolve may waver.

neobolts

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
- Xill. There must be some race that infests other creatures with his eggs! Also a great opportunity to use the cool disease rules. Probably a Lurker (can turn insubstantial)

The slaad are doing exactly this in 4e, although something heroic tier with this mechanic (Xill) would be a welcome addition.

Betote

First Post
Elementals. Not the fancy new ones, but classic, old-time elementals: fire, water, air and earth.

Also, animals.

On the Spanish D&D e-mail list, we have this recurring joke where you really don't need any creature statted up; you just put a barlglura and change its name.

Zurai

First Post
generalhenry said:
sure, they're core, but when was the last time the PCs got into a fight with one.

They simply don't fit into many encounters.
When was the last time you ever got into a fight with a grell? When was the last time you ever even saw (or heard of) a Berbalang?

Seriously... what the hell is a Berbalang and where's my centaurs?

generalhenry

First Post
When was the last time you ever got into a fight with a grell?

not since 2E I have to admit.

Berbalang?

Each new MM needs a certain number of new monsters.

Elementals. Not the fancy new ones, but classic, old-time elementals: fire, water, air and earth.

Yeah, I have to agree there.

Also, animals.

While druids used them, a lot, they weren't really used much. The best of them are still in the MM.

pogminky

First Post
There doesn't seem enough low-level critter variety.....

Kobolds and goblins are great, but where's my non-humanoid monsters?

Animals and vermin are needed.

I'm just gonna make stuff up - with the new easy way to build monsters I doubt whether I need too much more monster crunch.

Remove ads