• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual: What's missing which has impacted you?

neobolts

Explorer
pogminky said:
There doesn't seem enough low-level critter variety.....
Maybe this'll help...

"Clustered" Heroic Tier mobs by level range (with quantity), excluding PC race mobs

Rat (Dire, Giant, Swarm) 1-2 (3 mobs)
Kobold 1-4 (6 mobs)
Basic Undead (Skeleton, Zombie, Ghoul, Ghost, Skull Lord, Wraith) 1-10 (17 mobs)
Goblinoid(Goblin/Hobgoblin/Bugbear) 1-8 (16 mobs)

Doppelganger 3-8 (2 mobs)
Basic Devils 3-11 (5 mobs)

Ettercap 4-5 (2 mobs)
Lizardfolk 4-6 (4 mobs)
Orc 4-9 (7 mobs)

Gnoll 5-8 (4 mobs)

Shadar-kai 6-8 (4 mobs)
Troglodyte 6-8 (4 mobs)
Harpy 6-9 (2 mobs)
Sahuagin 6-10 (4 mobs)
Basic Demons 6-13 (4 mobs)

Satyr 7-8 (2 mobs)
Grick 7-9 (2 mobs)
Basic Hags 7-10 (2 mobs)
Snaketongue (Yuan-ti) 7-12 (5 mobs)

Oni 8-10 (2 mobs)
Basic Ogres 8-11 (4 mobs)
Galeb Duhr 8-11 (2 mobs)

Rechan

Adventurer
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the Berbalang is from 1e.

neobolts said:
Maybe this'll help...
He is right. Almost ALL of those are humanoid (or humanoid to some extent - demons/devils).

Outside of the undead, the rats, and the gricks, that's all of it.

Oh hey, you left out spiders/snakes/etc.

LowSpine

First Post
This is a bit different from what you mean, it is more of an error, but I was looking for a bat swarm. There are monsters that have a bat swarm as part of their encounter examples - but there is no bat swarm.

Not that I have found so far.

lukelightning

First Post
Rechan said:
He is right. Almost ALL of those are humanoid (or humanoid to some extent - demons/devils).
That's because D&D is the game of killing things and taking their stuff, and humanoids have the most stuff!

Rechan said:
only thing that comes to mind are Skum; a friend of mine actually created the Skum, and the Aboleth Servitor do not look like his Skum, and he is sad.
No offense to your friend, but "skum"?!? Sounds more like a supervillain than a monster. Plus we already have kuotoa and sahau... shahua... shahua... those sharky fish people. You want a deep dark dank fishy monster that serves the aboleth? Kuotoa fit the bill perfectly.

neobolts said:
Yeah, I did notice the normal animals are gone. I wonder if WotC is trying to move away from people killing elephants and lions. Maybe the 4e design team joined PETA. :D
I think that it's the fact that most animals would end up clustered at lower levels, so the MM wouldn't have a good spread of challenges.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
Zurai said:
When was the last time you ever got into a fight with a grell? When was the last time you ever even saw (or heard of) a Berbalang?

Seriously... what the hell is a Berbalang and where's my centaurs?

Berbalang is actually WAY back from the 1e Fiend Folio. It was an interesting monster...originally. I haven't even looked at the entry now but i'm sure it has no flavor, just something to stab a sword into.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Flumph!! (because someone had to say it)

And something different that is missing is a full alphabetical list of the monsters with page numbers. There is the CR list in the back which is really cool and I love it and I want all MM books to have one. There is also the shortened Table of Contents in the front of the book, but that list has Abomination but doesn't list out what is listed as an Abomination.

For example, what if I wanted the stats for the Terrasque and couldn't remember what CR it was? Where can I find it? (Hint: Not under T.)

Cirex

First Post
Nymphs!

In all seriousness, I was hoping we would get way more kind of humans (maybe some article in the future) and I think I will be missing Frost Giants. I will just reskin Fire Giants though.

Remove ads