Monster Mash: Oni vs. Lord Sessadore

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=blasts and climbing]I concur that a blast 5 is a 5x5x5 cube, and I'd allow having effect squares 1-6 above ground, since you're still adjacent to the area of effect. However, the lich is standing in the crow's nest, the floor of which is 30 feet up. In other words, if you were standing on the ground directly below the lich, you'd have to move 6 squares up to occupy its space. Thus, blasting squares 1-6 above ground won't hit it. You still have to climb one.

Also, when you climb the mast you're adjacent to, I'd say you're in (or above) square Z13, so a blast 5 wouldn't reach the other mast.

On the other hand, I'm willing to generously interpret the climb action text (reading "as part of a move action.... climb up to half your speed with a successful check" as "climbing up one square as part of a move action up costs double what it would cost to move into that square horizontally, and can only be done on a successful check") to allow you to move to the other mast and climb up one square with a single move action. The mast is festooned with ropes, so the DC is 10, and your athletics check is good enough for the blast to reach the lich. He'll have cover, but you'll hit him anyway. No stealthing, sorry; shame to waste that roll.

Yes, I had to draw a diagram to sort this out. You should see my little stick-figure mind flayer.
[/sblock]

Round 6

The mind flayer runs to the other mast, quickly climbs up a bit, and blasts upward, tendrils flailing. Again the lich feels its dusty mind invaded. (Mind flayer is in T13 directly beneath the lich, one square above deck.)

The angel continues to grovel, though it writhes less slowly now.

Initiative and status
Mind Flayer 68/101
Angel, 152/152, unarmed, prone, dominated and immobilized (save ends both)
Baelnorn 186/228, dazed (save ends) <== you're up
Celebrant dead
Moon Wraith 2 76/76
Moon Wraith 1 76/76

Resources used:
Celebrant:
Lich: Fey Ire
MW2: crescent arc
Mind Flayer: Mind blast

[sblock=map]
OniSessadore010.png

[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
The lich clutched its head again, a look of quiet fury written across its features. With a hiss it vanished from the lookout, to appear in the other crow's nest across the deck. Battling through its dazed state, it bathed the area where it had last seen its attacker with twisted radiance.

Die!

It seemed to regain some of its composure after lashing out.

Tear him to pieces my pets, the lich hissed coolly.

The wraiths screamed through the air toward the climbing aberration, raking and clawing as they passed around and through it back out of its reach.

[sblock=Actions]

Baelnorn
Regen 5HP
Fey Ire: Recharge 4,5,6 (1d6=2)
Standard: Lich Step to Z13 (Crow's Nest), Recharge Fey Ire.
Spend AP
Standard: Climbing should grant CA, and area attack should ignore concealment. Fey Ire: +15 vs Will (Centered On: T13) (1d20+13+2=27)
Radiant Damage (2d8+7=20) and the target takes ongoing 5 psychic damage and is dazed (save ends both). Miss: Half damage, and the target is instead slowed (save ends).
Saving Throw: Dazed (1d20+2=14)

Moon Wraith 2
Crescent Arc: Recharge 6 (1d6=2)
Standard: Charge to U13. Lunar Violation: +16 vs Fort (Target: Mind Flayer) (1d20+14+2=22) shift to S14
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=10) and the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Moon Wraith 1
Standard: Charge to T12. Lunar Violation: +16 vs Fort (Target: Mind Flayer) (1d20+14+2=31) shift to T10
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=9) and the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

[edit: I don't think it will make a difference either way, but I forgot the +1 to hit from charging for both of the wraiths]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
[ooc: BTW i think the Baelnorn would have been at 193, because the Mind Flayer should have been weakened from the Moon Wraith at the time of its attack. Now 198 after its most recent turn.]

covaithe

Explorer
(ooc: you're right about weakened; I forgot to record that condition.)

Round 6, continued

The lich flickers to the other crows nest and blasts the mind flayer. (ooc: hit due to CA. MF is bloodied.)

The moon wraiths charge, one of them hitting.

Initiative and status
Mind Flayer 39/101, bloodied, 5 ongoing psychic and dazed (save ends both), weakened TENT <== you're up
Baelnorn 198/228
Celebrant dead
Moon Wraith 2 76/76
Moon Wraith 1 76/76

Resources used:
Celebrant:
Lich: Fey Ire, Lich Step, AP

[sblock=map]
OniSessadore011.png

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 7

The mind flayer hops off the mast and ducks behind the other one, attempting to hide. (ooc: Provokes an OA from MW2, at -5 from superior cover. Stealth succeeds against all enemies, meaning they all grant CA and cannot target the MF directly with non-area attacks. However, they do all know his general location, and if they move so that the MF no longer has improved cover, they can see and target him as usual without any perception checks. And of course area attacks are an option.)

The angel fails to escape the lich's crushing grip on its mind.

Initiative and status
Mind Flayer 34/101, bloodied, 5 ongoing psychic and dazed (save ends both), OA pending
Baelnorn 198/228 <== you're up
Celebrant dead
Moon Wraith 2 76/76
Moon Wraith 1 76/76

Resources used:
Celebrant:

[sblock=map]
OniSessadore012.png

[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
The wraith swiped at the dazed mind flayer as it moved away.

The dried up eladrin watched the tentacled abomination flee across the deck, running under his perch. With slow grace the undead thing turned and looked down over the other side of the lookout, trying to locate his opponent.

Spying the thing, the lich began to whisper that strange sibilant whisper, attempting to invade the alien mind below him. Seeing that it was having little effect on that strange mentality, the withered eladrin hissed with cold fury.

Perhaps you can understand this at least, and with that blasted the deck below with eerie radience.

Meanwhile the wraiths circled around their prey's hiding place like two hungry wolves chasing down a wounded animal. As they moved around both sides of the deck they spied the mind flayer hiding behind the mast. They charged, howling, and then faded back out of reach.

[sblock=Actions]

OA: Lunar Violation: +16 vs Fort (Shifts to U13 before the attack) (Target: Mind Flayer) (1d20+14+2=23) That should avoid the cover issue.
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=10) and the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Baelnorn
Regen 5HP
Fey Ire: Recharge 4,5,6 (1d6=5)
Lich Step: Recharge 5,6 (1d6=4)
Move: move to AA13 (crow's nest)
Minor: I'm assuming looking down from above blows his cover so I can target him with this, if not disregard. Voice of Solemnity: +17 vs Will (Target: Mind Flayer) (1d20+15+2=19)
Standard: Fey Ire: +15 vs Will (Centered on AB13) (1d20+13+2=22)
Radiant Damage (2d8+7=16) and the target takes ongoing 5 psychic damage and is dazed (save ends both). Miss: Half damage, and the target is instead slowed (save ends).

Moon Wraith 2
Crescent Arc: Recharge 6 (1d6=5)
Move: move to AD18
Standard: Charge to AB15, Lunar Violation: +17 vs Fort (Target: Mind Flayer) (Shift to AD17 afterwards) (1d20+14+1+2=33)
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=12) and the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.

Moon Wraith 1
Move: move to AD10
Standard: Charge to AB13, Lunar Violation: +17 vs Fort (Target: Mind Flayer) (Shift to AA11 afterwards) (1d20+14+1+2=31)

[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Disoriented and assaulted from all sides, the illithid lashes out towards the nearest enemy. It is so scrambled by the constant attacks, however, that it misses by a large margin.
[sblock=Actions]I'm going to go on the assumption that every attack missed, except the two wraiths' charges. In other words, the mind flayer isn't dominated, but he is weakened and slowed. If that's not the case, I'll retcon.

Mind Flayer
Take 5 psychic damage.
Mind Blast recharge 5,6 (1d6=2).

Standard: Charge to AC16; Tentacles vs. MW2: 22 vs. AC. Forgot to roll damage, so here it is: 2d6+5=9, divided by 2 is 4.

Save vs. ongoing and dazed: 3
Save vs. slowed: 9
Well ... I think that's about it for Mr. Flayer.

Angel
Save vs. dominated and immobilized: 19. [/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 7, continued

The wraith misses the mind flayer as it tries to hide.

The lich looks down from the crows nest and blasts the mind flayer with fey wrath again. It instinctively ducks aside from the worst of it, but still takes some damage. (8 damage and slowed (save ends))

The two moon wraiths converge as well, both ripping bits of life out of the mind flayer. (22 damage total)

Round 8

The mind flayer goes out with a whimper, flailing weakly at imaginary foes until its mind can take no more. (ooc: 5 ongoing psychic kills it)

The angel shakes off his mental fog for the second time, finding himself alone and unarmed against a foe at nearly full strength.

Initiative and status
Mind Flayer dead
Angel, 152/152, unarmed, prone
Baelnorn 203/228 <== you're up
Celebrant dead
Moon Wraith 2 76/76
Moon Wraith 1 76/76

Resources used:
Celebrant: