Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
C is still for Cockatrice -- this is how the layout artist decided to fill the empty area!

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 3.39.12 PM.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m disappointed that Queen Cir is the variant rather than the standard model for Dread Knight as her reactions seem much more cooler. Make Fire Blast and Ice Wall variant options rather than standard actions.
I’d also have loved to see a Variant who wasnt a Knight - say a Dread Pirate or similar (or is that a different monster entry?)

I’m disappointed that Queen Cir is the variant rather than the standard model for Dread Knight as her reactions seem much more cooler. Make Fire Blast and Ice Wall variant options rather than standard actions.
I’d also have loved to see a Variant who wasnt a Knight - say a Dread Pirate or similar (or is that a different monster entry?)
I think Dread Pirate is found in the R section under Roberts. If you hit Rodents of Unusual Size you've gone too far.

Faolyn

(she/her)
While I like the dread knight, I'm slightly disappointed by the inclusion of a list of names for them. I can understand including such lists for most creatures, because most DMs will just make a note that there are a certain number of them in a particular area doing whatever it is they're doing, and names are only important if the PCs happen to actually start talking to them, meaning the DM might suddenly need a name. But dread knights--and dragons and liches and similar creatures--are so important and so high CR that almost certainly a DM will have a singular entity that they've already named.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I like the dread knight, I'm slightly disappointed by the inclusion of a list of names for them. I can understand including such lists for most creatures, because most DMs will just make a note that there are a certain number of them in a particular area doing whatever it is they're doing, and names are only important if the PCs happen to actually start talking to them, meaning the DM might suddenly need a name. But dread knights--and dragons and liches and similar creatures--are so important and so high CR that almost certainly a DM will have a singular entity that they've already named.
It’s like a raincoat. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Remove ads