Deltron 3030 CR 8 neuromancer
Voltron CR 25
Panthro CR 12
B.A. Barrakas CR 10 get away driver/ strong man
Macguyver CR 10
Tito Ortiz CR 12 pugilist/jerk
Go-Bots CR ???
Shaggy CR 3 pyromancer

I could go on but I'm running out of battery.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What I'd like is a larger variety of NPC's covering a range of CR values. The MM has CR 1/2 Bandits, etc, a couple of mid-level casters, and Arch-mage and... that's it.

Swapping spells or weapons out doesn't make for much variety in opposition, I'm afraid, chaps.

That's definitely what I need too.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
What I really want is a set of sturdy guidelines for making new lair actions. I have a feeling that these were originally conceived as a dumping ground for the "imbalanced" abilities of older editions; but I really think this new design space has a lot of exciting potential for setting up inciting events at the domain level.

I couldn't care less about new stuff.

Here's what I want updated from prior editions to the 5e rules, in rough order of importance:

1) Basic Upper Planar Exemplars: guardinals, eladrins, archons.
2) More Outer Planar critters: Demodands, more yugoloths (they are woefully under-represented), as well as some more of the various types of celestials. This also means expanding things like the Deva into the traditional varieties rather than having a single entry and leaving me trying to figure out if it is supposed to encompass all devas, or just represent monadic devas with the others not yet represented.
3) Other Planar Creatures: The Astral, Ethereal, and Inner planes need denizens.
4) More Fey: We need about 6 more fey monsters, especially with the Feywild/Plane of Faerie an official part of the cosmology
5) Gem Dragons: They'll probably need psionics, so that could slow it down a bit

After that, I'd prefer they basically go with monsters based on their pedigree and commonality, rather than a random grab bag. We talk a lot about the ease of converting old adventures--that's easier if there are actual stats for the monsters that were around in 1e/2e.

Basically, I want them to fill in the holes.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I think I have to go with classics. Even though I have zero issue making new monsters, having a seed to work with would be very nice.

Pants

First Post
High Level Slaad - The lower challenges are adequately covered and the death slaad comes in at challenge 10, so there needs to be a few more varieties at the mid and top end of the challenge spectrum.

Fey - I'm running a campaign now with a bit of a focus on fey and there is an absolute woeful dearth of decent fey creatures. Even when going through my old Pathfinder and 3e and 2e sources, I really have to dig to find any sometimes. Some mid challenge and a few high challenge opponents would be great. Also, the quickling. I love those guys.

Demodands - Why not? There are only three of them.

Annis Hags - Actually, maybe even add some new varieties of hags as well

More Varieties of Trolls - Two-Headed, Frost, Giant, Spirit, and Spectral

More Dire Creatures - Especially bears and weasels!

Some more mid-level undead - From like challenge 6 up to challenge 13, there are no undead. Things like the bodak, devourer, nightshades, crimson death, boneclaws, and the like. Even some more varieties of skeletons and zombies might work too.

More Beetles - I don't know why, but I love throwing beetles at my players. I also like using them in encounters. :)

Some Missing 'Classics' - Spawn of Kyuss, Frost Wurms, Sword Spiders, Derro, Greater Basilisks, Dracolisks, Deepspawn, Gibberlings, Leucrotta, Skeleton Warriors

No Dragons - They take up a lot of space and the MM already covers a bunch of them. Maybe some drakes or dragon-like critters instead?

No More Giants - Too many giants are mechanically similar bags of hit points with big weapons. No reason to bring back or create new varieties unless they're going to be different and interesting both mechanically and flavour-wise. And no 'it lives in the jungle instead of in hills and has 50 more hit points' is not interesting to me.

Last edited:

Corpsetaker

First Post
I would like to see expanded rules on monster creature and actual lair design.

A few monsters I would like to see.

Cave Fisher.
Deepspawn
Phaerimm
Derro
Rothe
Gem Dragons
Moon Dog
Feyr
Redcap
Ixitxachitl
Leucrotta