Monte Cook's New Sorcerer: Details!

Ishamael

First Post
oops...

Darn... sorry Zarrok. Thought I was on to something. Nevermind.

So how did you get this early info about the sorcerer anyway?

Re: oops...

Ishamael said:
Darn... sorry Zarrok. Thought I was on to something. Nevermind.

So how did you get this early info about the sorcerer anyway?

Yep, I got the info from Monte Cook's message board (The Malhavoc Press). The d6 for sorcerers was a qualified guess but turned out right...

-Zarrock

Henry

Autoexreginated
Comments on Monte's New Sorcerer:

Just got the PDF today. Maybe a little TOO powerful? But, I guess we'll see through playtest, as this may become my default sorcerer.

The most powerful addition was giving the Sorcerer new spells at the same level as wizards and clerics (Gets 2nd level spells at 3rd level, 3rd level spells at 5th level, etc.) This was always supposed to be the "trade-off" for sorcerous power.

I must say I don't mind the skill points and extra class skill selection, though. Basically, it's kind of like Bruce Cordell's enhanced Psion idea from "If thoughts could kill." I presume the line of thought was, if it works for Psions, it will work for Sorc's too?

Victim

First Post
They don't get spells at the wizard rate.

First of all, according to the chart, they might learn a new spell at the wizard's level, but they have no spells per day at that level, not even a zero to give them bonus spells.

Second, Monte wrote that it should just give 2 spells at the normal sorcerer level.

nharwell

Explorer
In general, I like the revised sorceror. I particularly appreciate the improved skills, but the larger hit dice doesn't really matter to me. I also like the fact the you gain a few more known spells. The changed spell list hurts quite a bit, though. I know it doesn't affect every campaign equally but in my game, the following spells are very common with sorcerors:

Shield (now 2nd level)
Invisibility (now 3rd level)
Haste (now 4th level)
Polymorph Self/Other (now 5th level)
Shadow Conjuration (no longer available)
Shadow Evocation (no longer available)
Magic Weapon (no longer available)
Greater Magic Weapon (no longer available)

... and many more.

I really want to use the revised sorceror in my campaign, but I suppose I'll have to wait until the current sorceror PCs are retired -- the spell list change would be too much.

Ishamael

First Post
Finally got it.

I really like it! Some really nice stuff in there.

I need to compile a list of all official and Malhavoc spells. :(

Do you guys see Malhavoc stuff in the same light you see WoTC stuff in?

In my mind, Books of Eldritch Might and If Thoughts Could Kill are as good as official for me, while I hesitate to use other third-party d20 stuff.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Victim said:
They don't get spells at the wizard rate.

First of all, according to the chart, they might learn a new spell at the wizard's level, but they have no spells per day at that level, not even a zero to give them bonus spells.

Second, Monte wrote that it should just give 2 spells at the normal sorcerer level.

First of all, HUH? I was at first only looking at the spells known chart, and I see what you are saying; as written, that makes no sense.

Second of all, I do not understand what the correction would do exactly. can you reiterate? Do you mean to just drop off the "1" at every odd level on the spells known table?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Ishamael said:
Finally got it.

I really like it! Some really nice stuff in there.

I need to compile a list of all official and Malhavoc spells. :(

Do you guys see Malhavoc stuff in the same light you see WoTC stuff in?

In my mind, Books of Eldritch Might and If Thoughts Could Kill are as good as official for me, while I hesitate to use other third-party d20 stuff.

I gotta admit, Monte is working hard to set the both "Technical Excellence" and "Consumer Value" bars really high.

Remove ads