Monte Cook's New Sorcerer: Details!

Duncan Idaho

First Post
SableWyvern said:

but the latter does not in any way give the impression that they should not choose their own spells.

Perhaps them should choose them at the time of character creation? (Though that would be a lot of work and not too fun)

Again, I think that they probably are fine the way they are, but I just wonder about alternatives.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Duncan Idaho said:

So someone who is born athletic could choose any of those sports and be equally good in whichever one they chose?

Definitely in some cases. Whether or not that is true in many cases is something you'd need to ask an expert (although I'm sure there are many amateurs on this board with an expert opinion nonetheless:))

With respect to choosing in advance, that has one really big drawback - spells aquired later (in a real-world sense, as in buying a new splatbook) would not be available, except retro-actively. That aside, the end result would probably be very similar to a choose-by-level system, if the player was experienced. If, OTOH, the player had little or no sorcerer experience, he would probably make some very poor choices.

Last edited:

Duncan Idaho

First Post
SableWyvern said:

Definitely in some cases. Whether or not that is true in many cases is something you'd need to ask an expert (although I'm sure there are many amateurs on this board with an expert opinion nonetheless:))

Still for athletes, body type and overall size (not something you can choose) must play some role in how well an athlete will perform in a sport. I don't think most gymnasts would make good linebackers, nor most jockeys good basketball players (to choose two extreme examples).

Duncan Idaho

First Post
Wolfspider said:

What fun would that be? If I wanted real life, I'd be doing my taxes, no enjoying a fantasy role playing game.

Real life is lots of fun, I want mine to last a long time. I enjoy fantasy role playing games in real life.

I agree with you though about not wanting your games to be bogged down with the trivialities that real life seems to entail. I want my games to run smoothly and promote fun over book work. Thus I hereby abandon my suggestions about Sorcerors.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Should a Sorcerer's abilities develop randomly? It's certainly valid, but you can still roleplay it that way.

The Sorcerer's abilties are developing randomly in the game, but behind the scenes it is the player who is choosing the abilities for him.

You can look at it either way.

---------------

Regarding the Monte Cook Sorcerer, I have my doubts, but I will have to see how it plays. I wouldn't mind playing one, myself. Looking at the spell list, I think you will probably get even more "Ray-Guns" Than you do with the PHB Sorcerer, especially when the "utility" spells come at one spell level higher now than the used to.

The new spells, as always, are top-notch, and I will look with interest at the spell songs.

And I just LOOOOOVE the Black Grail! :)

Skywalker

Adventurer
There is nothing wrong with the PHB Sorceror.

I felt that they were not distinguished enough from the Wizard. In essence they seemed only a Wizard variant (not the natural spellcatser). This was detrimental on the Sorceror class and the Wizard class (as moved the focus on them from being the "arcane spell casters"). People who wanted to play a wizard were left thinking that playing a Sorceror was maybe just a better Wizard and many people playing Sorceror's could not be the natural spellcaster they wanted.

However Monte has redone the sorceror conceptually. By detracting away from the spell casting ability a little by flavouring their spell list differently (especially Wizardly flavoured parts) and taking away the material component they seem less like a Wizard variant. Adding in more non spell related abilities emphasises this more. The result is that a Sorceror is more a seperate class that covers a much different concept (the natural mage as the PHB sorceror tried to convey).

Monte's Bard is a much better example. By taking away the arcane spells and adding the Spell Song the result is that a Bard is a much more conecptually distinct class (and I think more accurately conveys what the PHB was trying to get across).

When Sorceror's were first made the writers of the PHB had to be conservative because many saw the Sorceror as an uber wizard. Now with time we see that its not the case and so I like that Monte is adjusting the classes conceptually (especially Ranger and Bard)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Should a Sorcerer's abilities develop randomly? It's certainly valid, but you can still roleplay it that way.

Does anyone remember the first-level magic-user's spellbook in First Edition?

Roll 1d10 for an Offensive Spell.
Roll 1d10 for a Defensive Spell.
Roll 1d10 for a Miscellaneous Spell.
And have Read Magic for free.

A lucky mage might start with Sleep, Shield, and Detect Magic.

I once rolled Push, Affect Normal Fires, and Erase.

And I could cast one of them, once per day.

Randomly determined spells can destroy a character's viability :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads