Monte Cook's New Sorcerer: Details!

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
On Monte's board he said that the "1"s on the spells known table should be removed. They should be "--" instead. So they do not get new spell levels any faster than PH sorcerers.

They do jump straight to 2 new spells known when they start a new level however.

Welrain

First Post
Thats an error (as MC has said on his message boards) :-

The sorcerer spells per day chart has an error (that will never affect game play, but it's annoying nonetheless). All of the 1s on that chart should be dashes. Why? Because they are indicating that the sorcerer knows a spell that he can't possibly cast. It's always the simple ones that pass by you

http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm16.showMessage?topicID=273.topic

Welrain

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Zarrock said:
The picture on his site is actually pretty nice I think. While it may sound goofy - so do flying carpets - I'm actually getting curious as to what this thing does. Maybe a bard can countersong while attacking ;)

-Zarrock

Actually, I don't see the flying carpet as goofy. The flying broomstick or pot, however...

Harpbow seems a bit silly. A bard don't need that to attack while using his special ability, as bardic music can very well be bardic song. In our group, each time there's a combat, the bard (when we have one) sing while battling. Well, potentially, a harp would allow the bard to cast a (stilled) spell while using BM (I have to reread the PHB to see if it is possible at all), but he don't need the harp to be also a bow, since you can't cast spells and attack at the same time.

Furthermore, for the musical weapon, I always favored the panpipe/blowgun with poisoned minidarts.

Duncan Idaho

First Post
If sorcerors are born not made why should they be allowed to choose their spells at will? Shouldn't they be random or forced to follow some sort of progession?

Not that I would play one that way, but wouldn't that be more true to the description?

Gez

First Post
Duncan Idaho said:
If sorcerors are born not made why should they be allowed to choose their spells at will? Shouldn't they be random or forced to follow some sort of progession?

Not that I would play one that way, but wouldn't that be more true to the description?

They have some control over what power they develop.

And randomness should be avoided for things like that. You imagine if a fighter would get random bonus feats and weapon proficiencies ? Logically, it's undefendable, but balance-wise it's equivalent to random spells for a sorcerer.

Finally, the sorcerer may very well be born with spells, yet the player choose them. Why ? Hey, the sorcerer is born with a given hair and eye color, yet the player choose these freely ! Why should it be different with spells ?

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Duncan Idaho said:
If sorcerors are born not made why should they be allowed to choose their spells at will?

Why not?

They sorcerer learns as they grow to channel the raw talent they are born with into specific magical affects.

FD

drnuncheon

Explorer
Duncan Idaho said:

You can be born naturally athletic, but whether you choose to become a soccer player, gymnast, or baseball player is not random, it's up to you.

J

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Duncan Idaho said:

After all, someone born with a natural gift for roleplaying doesn't get to choose the system they use. ;)

As others have said, there is no inherrent need to take the "natural, unchosen talent" part that far. It could just as easily be said that only people born with blue eyes have the power to use magic; this is essentially the same as what is said in the sorcerer description, but the latter does not in any way give the impression that they should not choose their own spells.

Duncan Idaho

First Post
drnuncheon said:

You can be born naturally athletic, but whether you choose to become a soccer player, gymnast, or baseball player is not random, it's up to you.

J

So someone who is born athletic could choose any of those sports and be equally good in whichever one they chose?

Remove ads