Monte Cook's New Sorcerer: Details!

This is going to be great:

Well, first and foremost, I'm giving them a new spell list.

Not drastically different, but rebalanced for the sorcerer's abilities--which are quite different from the wizard's. That means that some spells have gone away, some have changed level, etc.

I've also changed the spells known table, giving the sorcerer a bit more opportunity to be interesting (but because of the spell list change, not necessarily a lot more powerful).

Then I've made the sorcerer less bookish, which means that he'll have more skills and a little sturdier than the wizard.

Lastly, since sorcerers are natural casters, they have a substitute for material components. They don't use them at all.

I think that the feel will be the same (I think that this new version actually exemplifies the "natural spellcaster" idea better) but the gameplay will change.

Monte
http://www.montecook.com

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hum...

Intriguing...and makes elves even more likely to favor sorcerers, IMC. :)

But what I may most look forward to is the ideas *other* than dragon's blood for the sorcerer. Advise on how to roleplay, say, a sorcerer who is bound to a demonic servitor-spirit, or who recieves spells by devouring the life-essence of his fallen foes, or who must dance a jig whenever he casts something evocation because "that's what the voices in my head tell me to do." I'd love to see a wealth of this...

...and I think the more drastic Bard change is going to be far more intriguing....:)

Talaysen

First Post
You know, I was thinking of modifying the sorcerer and bard myself. The more I think about them, the less satisfied I am. Now I suppose I'll wait for Monte's versions before going to the trouble - sounds like he has the right idea.

I too was looking forward mostly to the bards (the Soul Magi concept is intriguing though) - but this has really peaked my interest in the new sorcerer.

About new ideas for sorcerers: Dragon 280 has quite a few other background ideas than just Dragon Blood. Mechanic wise it doesn't really change anything but the ideas are cool, they include:

Experimentation: Occult experimentation has infused you with magical ability. Leaves physical marks..

Fey-Touched: Pretty self-explanatory. Very good for Elves, Gnomes and halflings...

Magical Pacts: You struck a bargain with some other-planar creature.

Forgotten Crafts: Sorcery is simply an older tradition of magic...

For each entry the article includes: Origin, Races, Roleplaying, Skills, Feats, Spells and Tips. Good stuff...

-Zarrock

Vrylakos

First Post
Re: Hum...

Kamikaze Midget said:
Intriguing...and makes elves even more likely to favor sorcerers, IMC. :)

But what I may most look forward to is the ideas *other* than dragon's blood for the sorcerer. Advise on how to roleplay, say, a sorcerer who is bound to a demonic servitor-spirit, or who recieves spells by devouring the life-essence of his fallen foes, or who must dance a jig whenever he casts something evocation because "that's what the voices in my head tell me to do." I'd love to see a wealth of this...

...and I think the more drastic Bard change is going to be far more intriguing....:)

If you go to the website in my sig, I've got a Sorcerer Variant that myself and some other boardmembers put together that tries to give the source of a sorcerer's magical power a rules mechanic. It gives sorcerers bloodline domains which a character can pick two of. Each one grants a domain ability, but ends up choosing some of the sorcerer's spells for him. Click on the 'updates' button for the pdf file. Hopefully there will at least be something of interest which might be useful to you, or give you some material for your own efforts.

VRYLAKOS

drnuncheon

Explorer
OK, between this and Bastion's Arms & Armor we've got two harpbows. I gotta ask...

What the heck are people thinking? That has got to be the goofiest magic weapon idea that I've ever seen. And now two? Did I miss some movie or TV show where the harpbow was the coolest thing ever? Am I just completely out of touch with the average gamer?

J, so gonna buy it anyway...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I have great respect for Monte Cook and Jim butler, but I have no idea why they both think this is a good idea... I think it's stupid.

Magnus

First Post
er ... maybe i'm blind or an idiot ... or a blind idiot. but, where exactly is this new sorceror to be found? i went to the website, but i couldn't find it. :(

coyote6

Adventurer
Magnus said:
er ... maybe i'm blind or an idiot ... or a blind idiot. but, where exactly is this new sorceror to be found? i went to the website, but i couldn't find it. :(

It is/will be in Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might II: Songs and Souls of Power, which is to be released (as a PDF) tomorrow (Feb. 12th).

Look here for the press release (and eventually, the "Buy now!" link).

Last edited:

Remove ads