Monte's Bard: Arcane Spell Failure or no?

drowdude

First Post
Ok...

I *know* what it says in BOEM2 in this regard (no ASF is the ACP is 3 or less).

But really, according to the core rules Monte's version of the bard should have *NO* chance of ASF regardless of the ACP.

Any thoughts on this? I figure I will just run this according to the core rules.

Crothian

First Post
AS it is, only Chain, Scale, and Breast plate would give them any arcane spell failure unless they aquire heavy armor feat. So, letting them cast without failure in any armor isn't that big of deal. Plus, anything to encoursge the heavier armors I say!!

vkhayman

First Post
I was wondering that myself... technically there is no arcane spell failure for any spell without a somatic component. So why would the altered bard without somatic components have an arcane spell failure regardless of the armor check penality?

I suppose it could be justified in that singing, although it doesn't require a formal somatic component still requires some degree of movement and freedom to express and successfully "cast" a spellnote, chord, or melody.

Personally, I think I'll enforce the arcane spell failure as written in the BOEM2. To me its just a matter of opinion on the flavor of how I envision the bard, not anything to do with game balancing issues.

The Iron Mark

First Post
With Superior Spellcasting and Grace on armor you can have +5 Full Plate with 0 Arcane Spell Failure, and no max Dex. Monte Cook writes some pretty sick stuf.

drowdude

First Post
The Iron Mark said:
With Superior Spellcasting and Grace on armor you can have +5 Full Plate with 0 Arcane Spell Failure, and no max Dex. Monte Cook writes some pretty sick stuf.

Yeah, but it's fairly balanced... if you wanted Full Plate +1 with no max dex, no ACP, and no ASF... that eats up +8 out your possible +10 bonus on your armor. Which could have been used for myriad other powers.

And that's definately preferable to Relics and Rituals's "clothborn" stuff IMO.

Remove ads