D&D (2024) Moon druid with weapons mastery?

mellored

Legend
Because there's no reason to?
There is no reason to give the animals different attacks? I disagree, so do a lot of people. That was the main complaint of the last playtest.

Or there is no reason to reuse the same mechanism? I also disagree.

I mean, how many classes (including fighter) can cast fireball?

Do you really want
Warlocks cast a 11d4 hell burst
sorcerers cast a 6d8 ball of fire
wizards cast a 8d6 fireball
Light clerics a 5d10 solar flame
Eldritch knight cast 4d12 burning impact

Or they can all just share the same fireball.
Because you're trying to take one of the things they're trying out to make martials distinct and unique by applying them to other classes? Where does it stop? It would be pretty cool if a wizard could push with any force damage as well.
Wizards have plenty of movement spells. So I'm not sure what your point is...

What they don't need is to steal another class's iconic signature style.
So Eldritch knight, arcane trickster, and a bunch of other subclasses shouldn't exsist then?

mellored

Legend
So you also agree it doesn't sound like it fits right with the fighter - and yet the druid fits right with the weapon mastery that fighters do best?
MOON druid gets weapon mastery, and a main subclass feature.

Again, I am NOT suggesting all Druids get it.

Even if they take the feat, it would be useless in wild shape.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
MOON druid gets weapon mastery, and a main subclass feature.

Again, I am NOT suggesting all Druids get it.

Even if they take the feat, it would be useless in wild shape.
I think it would be fine to let the feat apply something to the natural weapons a moon druid uses. I just don't think it should be a class or subclass ability for druids.

mellored

Legend
I think it would be fine to let the feat apply something to the natural weapons a moon druid uses. I just don't think it should be a class or subclass ability for druids.
Not sure I see how that changes anything.

But sure.

Velociraptors get "Relentless": hit a creature, you have Advantage on your next attack roll against that creature before the end of your next turn.

Bears get "Swipe": hit a creature, you can make an attack roll against a second creature within 5 feet of the first that is also within your reach. You deal 1d10 on the attack (no mod). This can only be used once per turn.

Rhinoceros get "Shove": hit a creature, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you if it is no more than one size larger than you.

Wolves get "Knock down": ...

... totally different.

Incenjucar

Legend
It seems like it would make more sense to just use the dozen or so abilities beasts actually get and apply them to a wild shape form. Charge is an attack rhinos have in the monster stats.

"Charge: If the rhinoceros moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone."

So just change it to:
"Charge: If you move at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hit with a melee attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 1d8 damage of the same type as the attack. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 8+Prof+Wis Bonus Strength saving throw or be knocked prone."

mellored

Legend
Adding weapon masteries to weapons that don't normally come with them is a fairly big deal.
Also being able to swap weapons to get different effect.
And attacking more often in order to stack different effects.

Unlike say.. a druid wild shape into a wolf, who could only knock down. And would have to expend another wild shape to switch to something that could push.

Or possibly a war cleric, who might only get mastery in their deity's specific weapon.

Mistwell

Not sure I see how that changes anything.

But sure.

Velociraptors get "Relentless": hit a creature, you have Advantage on your next attack roll against that creature before the end of your next turn.

Bears get "Swipe": hit a creature, you can make an attack roll against a second creature within 5 feet of the first that is also within your reach. You deal 1d10 on the attack (no mod). This can only be used once per turn.

Rhinoceros get "Shove": hit a creature, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you if it is no more than one size larger than you.

Wolves get "Knock down": ...

... totally different.
Not what I am saying at all. Specific animals don't get anything. If you want the feat to choose one which can apply to all natural weapons (not shifting based on your form - you just choose one and that's your feat) then sure. But it's not specific to an animal you can just apply it to the type of animal you're in. That would be even more powerful than what the fighter is getting as their primary thing, where they can only do it if the specific weapon allows it to begin with.

Which is my ongoing objection to all this sort of stuff. People want the Warlock to be a better caster than a Wizard AND have all their other Warlock stuff. Now people want a Druid to be a full caster, wildshape, AND be better at weapon mastery than the fighter?

This isn't even about niche protection anymore. This is people just trying to loot as much as they can for their favorite classes. Which, given this scenario, I am surprised the favorite class isn't Rogue (Thief) :)

Mistwell

Also being able to swap weapons to get different effect.

Swapping wild shape forms to get different effects. In fact ALL the effects with no weapon limitations.

And attacking more often in order to stack different effects.
Wildshape forms attack more often, remember?

Come on. You're not stealing the Fighter's schtick for a Druid subclass any more than a fighter is stealing the Druid's schtick for a Fighter subclass. I think you know there is zero chance of this happening and it wouldn't be good for the game if it did. Come up with something druid-like for your druid.

Remove ads