• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moon Knight - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
There sure were a lot of imprisoned gods! More than there were empty seats in the pyramid.
Indeed. Maybe the way it was presented before, that the gods decided to cease meddling in human affairs, with Khonshu and Ammit as the only holdouts, was inaccurate - perhaps it was only a small clique of the most powerful among them, and they imprisoned any dissenters.

pukunui

Legend
The first teaser trailer for Thor: Love and Thunder includes Zeus, so there are Greek "gods" in the MCU too. I hope that means we get Hercules too. After all, he was an Avenger in the comics.
Ah. Is that who that was?

Still, the fact that the Norse gods are shown to be long-lived, super-powered aliens from another planet rather than actual divine beings makes me wonder what the “true” nature of all the other gods of antiquity is.

Are they all just aliens from other planets/dimensions? Or are some of them actually divine/spiritual in nature?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Still, the fact that the Norse gods are shown to be long-lived, super-powered aliens from another planet rather than actual divine beings makes me wonder what the “true” nature of all the other gods of antiquity is.

Are they all just aliens from other planets/dimensions? Or are some of them actually divine/spiritual in nature?
I guess they didn't have magic in the MCU when they introduced Thor, but now they do.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

And what about the gods that are shared between the mythologies? Like Serapis (Greek and Egyptian), Mithras (Roman and Iranian), and Aphrodite/Ishtar (Greek and Mesopotamian). Also, I'm assuming Athena doesn't exist in the MCU's Olympus, because Thena is one of the Eternals.

Ryujin

Legend

The answer: It depends.

pukunui

Legend
I guess they didn't have magic in the MCU when they introduced Thor, but now they do.
Maybe. Thor’s family use magic, but then they also claim it’s super advanced technology that just looks like magic, so I dunno.

That said, I like the idea that Odin et al aren’t really gods, just super-humans from another planet. I just think it’ll be weird if they’re the only ones and all the other classic gods are actual divine powers or whatever.

Ryujin

Legend
Maybe. Thor’s family use magic, but then they also claim it’s super advanced technology that just looks like magic, so I dunno.

That said, I like the idea that Odin et al aren’t really gods, just super-humans from another planet. I just think it’ll be weird if they’re the only ones and all the other classic gods are actual divine powers or whatever.
Typically, when Kirby wanted to show Clarke's paradigm "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”, he used those weird, rotating, floating buildings. The Thor movies used them, just as the Thor comics had shown them. It was a great Easter Egg for '60s comic fans like me.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Indeed. Maybe the way it was presented before, that the gods decided to cease meddling in human affairs, with Khonshu and Ammit as the only holdouts, was inaccurate - perhaps it was only a small clique of the most powerful among them, and they imprisoned any dissenters.

Could be a compromise; they all were on board at first, but over time most had second thoughts, and as they did they got locked away.

Remove ads