Usual suspects also doing well:

PHB #53
DMG #133
MM #143
XGtE #103 (over 50% off!)
VGtM #364 (#4 in reference!)

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I don't expect it to out-sell Xanathar's Guide, but maybe Volo's.

And what has been going on with the SCAG? It always seems to get left off these sales-rank lists, even though it was the first 5E supplement and is therefore a good benchmark for comparison.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I don't expect it to out-sell Xanathar's Guide, but maybe Volo's.

And what has been going on with the SCAG? It always seems to get left off these sales-rank lists, even though it was the first 5E supplement and is therefore a good benchmark for comparison.

SCAG is #1,189 right now on Amazon. Its #12 on in fantasy gaming, just below the starter set and above all the adventures.

I don't think it opened as strong as say Volo's, but can go through some old threads to check. I don't remember liking it very much, seemed a bit muddled.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
SCAG is #1,189 right now on Amazon. Its #12 on in fantasy gaming, just below the starter set and above all the adventures.

I don't think it opened as strong as say Volo's, but can go through some old threads to check. I don't remember liking it very much, seemed a bit muddled.
There is quite a bit good n the book, particularly if one likes the Forgotten Realms. But, the WotC folks have more or less admitted that it underperformed to expectation, and wasn't received well. Hence why we have a Volo's follow-up now, but no SCAG like follow-up.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
There is quite a bit good n the book, particularly if one likes the Forgotten Realms. But, the WotC folks have more or less admitted that it underperformed to expectation, and wasn't received well. Hence why we have a Volo's follow-up now, but no SCAG like follow-up.

You may be right. Of all the books, SCAG is my least favorite and for the reasons you suggest. My group is only into the Realms to the extent that it is baked into adventures and we don't always feel like changing all the names.

WOTC is wise to continue to have little boxes saying what things could represent in Greyhawk, Eberron etc.

It is like a reminder that the information can be used anywhere and is not wedded to the Realms which is my preference. I could read more of SCAG probably and poach certain areas for my own world...had not given that much thought. Maybe there is more there for me to use afterall.

SharnDM

Explorer
I don't know if I'd group Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes in the same category as Xanathar's Guide. MToF is far more DM favoring and Lore strong than the Player focused XG. I really like both books, and I feel MToF is stronger than Volo was.

Remove ads