D&D 5E More Data Mined from D&D Beyond: Most Popular Spells

Caliban

Rules Monkey
How is cure wounds or healing word not prepare 80% - 90% of the time? Those numbers are shockingly low.

I think many of these are just for fun builds and not intended for game play.

You also need to keep in mind the caveat given in the original post:

Also this data discards any "always prepared spells" such as the Life Cleric's Cure Wounds, or Gnome's Minor Illusion

So if there are a lot of Life domain clerics in the data, neither Bless nor Cure Wounds will be counted for them.

Since we don't know the domains or sub-classes chosen by each of the characters, we don't know how much the data has been skewed for the Clerics, Druids, and Paladins.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Another caveat I forgot to mention:

This list gathered data from characters who were made from both "Free" and "Premium" content. This means spells like Hex, which aren't in the SRD or EEPC, are not going to have a very strong representation.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Because they're very clearly the best choices, so much so that they really should be given as a core part of the class itself rather than as choices at all. There should also be a melee equivalent of EB.

Getting off-topic, but I would argue the other way: EB should be excised from the game. It's stupid. I mean, WTF is an "Eldritch Blast"? Oh, right, it's a "beam of crackling energy". So in other words it is just a another nuke with different fluff (and a useful damage type).

So, explain to me....the only thing Warlock patrons have in common with each other is that they have "pacts" with mortals, so why is that only beings in this club are able to grant the Eldritch Blast spell to warlocks? Great Old Ones, Demons, Fey (and now some new beings) all know how to grant Eldritch Blast, but nobody else does? Is there some kind of "powerful beings union" where gods agree to not give non-warlocks Eldritch Blast? Sorry, Clerics, Paladins, and Druids...you didn't sign a "Pact" and therefore....union rules. (Maybe Gods use the term "union rules" like we use "magic", to explain the unexplainable. "We can only use legendary actions on other people's turns because union rules.")

So, yeah, I realize there's some precedent/history from previous editions that Eldritch Blast is the "signature" Warlock ability. But it's stupid.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Getting off-topic, but I would argue the other way: EB should be excised from the game. It's stupid. I mean, WTF is an "Eldritch Blast"? Oh, right, it's a "beam of crackling energy". So in other words it is just a another nuke with different fluff (and a useful damage type).

So, explain to me....the only thing Warlock patrons have in common with each other is that they have "pacts" with mortals, so why is that only beings in this club are able to grant the Eldritch Blast spell to warlocks? Great Old Ones, Demons, Fey (and now some new beings) all know how to grant Eldritch Blast, but nobody else does? Is there some kind of "powerful beings union" where gods agree to not give non-warlocks Eldritch Blast? Sorry, Clerics, Paladins, and Druids...you didn't sign a "Pact" and therefore....union rules. (Maybe Gods use the term "union rules" like we use "magic", to explain the unexplainable. "We can only use legendary actions on other people's turns because union rules.")

So, yeah, I realize there's some precedent/history from previous editions that Eldritch Blast is the "signature" Warlock ability. But it's stupid.

I don't think it's stupid, but I do think it could have been done better.

Instead of having a single Eldritch Blast cantrip, have a different version depending on your patron. Fiend Patron = fire damage, Great Old One = Acid Damage, Arch Fey = poison or cold damage (because so many things are immune to poison), Undying = Necrotic, etc.

But they'd already done themed damage with the Dragon Sorcerers and perhaps wanted to differentiate them more. Plus, tradition. Eldritch Blast has always been force damage.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't think it's stupid, but I do think it could have been done better.

Instead of having a single Eldritch Blast cantrip, have a different version depending on your patron. Fiend Patron = fire damage, Great Old One = Acid Damage, Arch Fey = poison or cold damage (because so many things are immune to poison), Undying = Necrotic, etc.

Better yet, just turn Agonizing Blast into a class feature which adds your Charisma bonus to each die of cantrip damage. Then warlocks can pick whatever damaging cantrip best fits their concept.

ro

First Post
Someone else pointed out that Life Domain spells are excluded, likely knocking down real Cure Wounds and Bless numbers.

Lots of this can be explained by new players. Consider that D&D Beyond targets those who don't already know the game, don't already have their own systems for managing their characters, don't already have a character sheet, and need help spinning up a character. The people who would know better are much less likely to use it. This is also why Human Fighters are so prevalent.

Looking at Eldritch Blast, there is nothing in the 1st level of Warlock that suggests to a new player that Eldritch Blast is anything special. Warlocks don't get other damaging cantrips to compare it to, and 1st-level Warlocks don't know about Agonizing Blast. Nor do new players understand the power of adding Charisma to every beam. On top of that, many new players probably don't even know they are supposed to max Cha!

And on Witch Bolt: it looks awesome when you are new to the game and don't know better.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Better yet, just turn Agonizing Blast into a class feature which adds your Charisma bonus to each die of cantrip damage. Then warlocks can pick whatever damaging cantrip best fits their concept.

Yeah that's what I was about to post.

ro

First Post

Eldritch Blast

At 1st Level you learn one additional cantrip from the Warlock list or one of the following cantrips: acid splash, chill touch, fire bolt, poison spray, ray of frost, or shocking grasp.

Agonizing Blast

At 2nd Level when you hit a target with your Eldritch Blast cantrip, add your Charisma modifier to each die of the damage it deals.

Last edited:

Remove ads