D&D 5E More Data Mined from D&D Beyond: Most Popular Spells

Dausuul

Legend
Eldritch Blast

At 1st Level you learn one additional cantrip from the Warlock list or one of the following cantrips: acid splash, chill touch, fire bolt, poison spray, ray of frost, or shocking grasp.

Agonizing Blast

At 2nd Level when you hit a target with your Eldritch Blast cantrip, add your Charisma modifier to each die of the damage it deals.

I wouldn't do it quite this way, because it locks you into your choice of cantrip and leaves you nearly helpless against anything resistant or immune to that type of damage. (There's a reason eldritch blast does force damage.) Instead, I would make it simpler:

Agonizing Blast. At 2nd level, when you deal damage with a warlock cantrip, add your Charisma modifier to each die of damage.

Thus, if you have several attack cantrips, they all benefit and you can switch off between them as you wish. In addition, scale back eldritch blast to 1d8, to put it on par with the other cantrips. The end result would be warlocks losing a bit of DPR, but gaining an invocation slot, which I think is a fair trade.

ro

First Post
I wouldn't do it quite this way, because it locks you into your choice of cantrip and leaves you nearly helpless against anything resistant or immune to that type of damage. (There's a reason eldritch blast does force damage.) Instead, I would make it simpler:

Agonizing Blast. At 2nd level, when you deal damage with a warlock cantrip, add your Charisma modifier to each die of damage.

Thus, if you have several attack cantrips, they all benefit and you can switch off between them as you wish. In addition, scale back eldritch blast to 1d8, to put it on par with the other cantrips. The end result would be warlocks losing a bit of DPR, but gaining an invocation slot, which I think is a fair trade.

That works. I have two thoughts:
One, warlocks don't get many of the attack cantrips: it would be good to give them an expanded list. (But make sure not to include Vicious Mockery, Sacred Flame, and any other class-unique cantrip on the list.)
Two, there are other Invocations which reference eldritch blast specifically; they should all be changed. Making it a class feature called "Eldritch Blast" and removing the "eldritch blast" cantrip might streamline the process.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Great Old Ones, Demons, Fey (and now some new beings) all know how to grant Eldritch Blast, but nobody else does?
Warlocks aren't granted anything other than knowledge, eldritch knowledge. Eldritch knowledge tends to be the type that is lost or forbidden, and for good reason, it's usually too powerful. Therefore, Eldritch Blast, the most powerful attack cantrip in the game, is quite suitable.

Better yet, just turn Agonizing Blast into a class feature which adds your Charisma bonus to each die of cantrip damage. Then warlocks can pick whatever damaging cantrip best fits their concept.
Hmm, not a terrible idea but I think it'd be better if it turned all damage into force damage. A huge part of EB's power is that it's force damage. Taking that away waters down the entire "eldritch knowledge" aspect.

Lots of this can be explained by new players. Consider that D&D Beyond targets those who don't already know the game, don't already have their own systems for managing their characters, don't already have a character sheet, and need help spinning up a character. The people who would know better are much less likely to use it. This is also why Human Fighters are so prevalent.
What absolute rubbish. You have zero data to base those assumptions off of.

Hex and eldritch blast are nice for a blaster warlock.
You can do a lot better with your invocations and spells at lower levels.
Even though Hex is d10+cha with the right invocation, you can as well just use a crossbow with d8+dex. You won´t notice the difference... besides saving a cantrip and an invocation. You can easily go TWF at low levels if you really want hex to do real damage.
Dex 16, 14 constitution and 14 charisma, armor of shadows will be enough to do real damage.
Even better is at will silent image and at will disguise self.
I think eldritch blast is way overrated. (Although it is the best at what it does.)

Remove ads