D&D 5E More Details About Laeral Silverhand’s Explorer’s Kit

This press release just dropped into my inbox. Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit contains dice, cards, and a map. This comes out on the same day as the as-yet unnamed D&D hardcover on March 17th, whose identity will be revealed on Thursday. Explore the realms! Wizards of the Coast once again is presenting new dice and miscellany for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Forgotten Realms...

This press release just dropped into my inbox. Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit contains dice, cards, and a map. This comes out on the same day as the as-yet unnamed D&D hardcover on March 17th, whose identity will be revealed on Thursday.

wlclwcjcwke_prodimage.png

Explore the realms! Wizards of the Coast once again is presenting new dice and miscellany for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit builds on the success of Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand Explorer’s Kit will be available in stores everywhere on March 17, 2020!

Let Laeral Silverhand – Open Lord of Waterdeep, centuries-old archmage, and daughter of the goddess of magic – guide you on your path to adventure. The new kit includes eleven dice placed in a durable, felt-lined box that functions as two dice trays. Fans can also enjoy the twenty illustrated, double-sided cards detailing Laeral’s expert insights on key characters, locations, and lore from across the Forgotten RealmsTM and a foldout double-sided map of the Sword Coast and city of Waterdeep.
  • Eleven dice (two d20s, one d12, two d10s, one d8, four d6s, one d4).
  • Twenty illustrated, double-sided cards detailing Laeral's expert insights on key characters, locations, and lore from across the Forgotten Realms.
  • A durable, felt-lined box that functions as two dice trays.
  • Foldout double-sided map of the Sword Coast and the city of Waterdeep.

R_J_K75

Legend
And its not a beef with the Swordcoast, its a beef with WotC thinking its the only part of the Forgotten Realms.

I think this shows that WotC should have done a proper new FRCS for 5E at the very least. Ideally with all the game material out there from 1E-4E prior to 5E, I think they could've compiled at least the lore into a series of volumes and released them over the last 5 years. I'm sure it would've sold.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I think they could've compiled at least the lore into a series of volumes and released them over the last 5 years.

I mean.. if you're just compiling the 1-4e lore... why not just buy the 1-4e books in PDF and read them? That's why they haven't done it, because there is no need. People either already own it or can already buy that lore elsewhere.

@darjr - that makes the d20's look even bigger!

R_J_K75

Legend
I mean.. if you're just compiling the 1-4e lore... why not just buy the 1-4e books in PDF and read them? That's why they haven't done it, because there is no need. People either already own it or can already buy that lore elsewhere.

Some people like myself don't like pdfs and prefer books. Further it would give them a chance to update things if they wish, re-arrange and re-order things to make it read more linear or in an encyclopedic format. Maybe they even release a new atlas to accompany it. Van Richtens guides which was released in 4 volumes was a compilation of previously released material.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I get it. I prefer books too, but I really don't see them releasing compilation books for FR lore.

Van Richtens guides which was released in 4 volumes was a compilation of previously released material.

Are you talking about the Van Richten's Guides published from '91-'95 when it was still TSR?

I just don't see that as a WotC 5e move. Dunno. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't really see a big enough market for them to do that when you can already get that lore in pdf or book format from various online sellers/markets.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Greg Tito is showing it off on the D&D News stream

All the cards shown are indeed almost entirely recycled pieces of art... the few pieces that look "new" to me aren't of very good quality, like Durnan, Dagult Neverember, look like they were originally concept art that never made it into a book.

There are locations outside of the Sword Coast like Icewind Dale and Port Nyanzaru, but there seems to be almost zero in this set that is truly original. I find this near confirmation of the book not being a setting book for FR.

R_J_K75

Legend
I get it. I prefer books too, but I really don't see them releasing compilation books for FR lore.

Are you talking about the Van Richten's Guides published from '91-'95 when it was still TSR?

I just don't see that as a WotC 5e move. Dunno. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't really see a big enough market for them to do that when you can already get that lore in pdf or book format from various online sellers/markets.

No not those there were 3 volumes I think compiled under the title of Van Richten's Monster Hunters Compendium.

I don't see them doing that at this point either but if they had from the editions outset it might've worked. Theres something to be said for having everything in one place. I hate having to read 4 or 5 books when researching a part of the Realms if Im writing and adventure in that place. I bet that if out of some strange twist of fate that WotC came out next Monday and said were releasing a 6 Vol FR bookset lots of people would be happy.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Maybe this will be a series of plot hooks disguised as descriptions of various villians and organizations. Written from Laeral's POV.

Remove ads

Remove ads