• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More Essentials teasers

OK, lets look at Battle Guardian carefully. It triggers when an enemy attacks your allies or shifts while under your Defender Aura. That's pretty much identical to Combat Challenge, EXCEPT it can happen every turn. CS is replaced by the more effective OAs do to MBAs being boosted. As far as we know now this means the Knight can't halt the movement of an enemy like a PHB fighter can with CS, BUT we don't know what all stances exist, so this may not actually be entirely true. They do have both a more effective alternative to CC and just in general a more effective mechanic than marking.

Looks to me like overall the Knight may be slightly less sticky than a PHB figher, but he's going to punish harder, at least potentially. Remember, he can also pull a few other tricks like dropping Power Strike on an OA. With more of these free action attacks I can easily see the knight turning into a pretty nasty punisher. He could well be sticky enough simply because you for the love of Kord do NOT want to experience his OA.
lets have a third look at battel guardian:

it does nothing on a "move", but triggers, when a monster tries to shift to better attack the knight.

I think a better wording would have been (to make it as uncomplicated as possible):

"When an enemy leaves your defender Aura or attacks an ally on its turn, you make a melee attack against the triggering enemy. You deal strength damage even on a miss."

This way, no abuse of provoking OAs to abuse the once/turn thing, and moving is not better than shifting.

(Even when the knight has a feature that triggers on an opportunity attack, i think it is more complicated than it had to be.)

lets have a third look at battel guardian:

it does nothing on a "move", but triggers, when a monster tries to shift to better attack the knight.

I think a better wording would have been (to make it as uncomplicated as possible):

"When an enemy leaves your defender Aura or attacks an ally on its turn, you make a melee attack against the triggering enemy. You deal strength damage even on a miss."

This way, no abuse of provoking OAs to abuse the once/turn thing, and moving is not better than shifting.

(Even when the knight has a feature that triggers on an opportunity attack, i think it is more complicated than it had to be.)

It really doesn't matter, the point is that the knight can make an OA WHENEVER you move away from him. He can lard on at least encounter power level damage on that OA too if he needs to. So there are advantages and disadvantages to each, but I think you'll find that the Knight will MOSTLY be equally sticky. Fighters have problems with more than one enemy anyhow, they can't totally lock them down. Neither can the knight, but he can do things like use his feature against anyone that happens to wander by.

jelmore

First Post
So all we need is the Shield Finesse ability description, and I can make a decent stab at creating a 1st-level Knight for fooling around with this weekend.

Can anyone on the Game Train (they should have named it the "Fun Train", dangit!) help out a friend...?

It is just, that it is a bit absurd, that just moving away seems like the best option. (as you don´t receive strength damage on a miss). It seems like counterproductive. And having two different mechanics (CS and CC) which trigger on the "same" action (i move one step to the right, shift or move) is still fiddly. Having it trigger on whatever movement the opponent takes, would have been easier IMHO.

I don´t want to question the knoghts stickiness in general. I like him. (but will most surely houserule this)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Wow, how cynical can you get? The game train was our idea, and it was FREAKING AWESOME. We did nothing but play D&D and Castle Ravenloft for two straight days, watched beautiful American scenery the entire time, and got to relax and not have to worry about anything. It was great, and I'm doing it again next year for sure.
Gaming on a train for two solid days sounds awesome--as long as it wasn't a railroad.
Cheezey_70__s_Cool_Guy_Wink_by_de_Mote.gif

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Does the battle guardian attack kill minions?

Does the battle guardian attack kill minions?
It is not stated as: "on a miss the attack deals damage", but "on a miss it still takes damage"... I wonder if that was intentional...
AFAICT, no one has explicitly answered this question yet.

We assume the Str damage is a miss effect RAI, therefore minions survive. But is that the case? The damage occurs via an Effect line. Battle Guardian itself does not hit or miss the target, only the MBA which is another part of the effect.

Dice4Hire

First Post
AFAICT, no one has explicitly answered this question yet.

We assume the Str damage is a miss effect RAI, therefore minions survive. But is that the case? The damage occurs via an Effect line. Battle Guardian itself does not hit or miss the target, only the MBA which is another part of the effect.

Maybe after 6 months a new thread would work better, focus on the question.

Remove ads