• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!

D&D 5E More low CR creatures with Lair Actions

Sacrosanct

Legend
Publisher
A few weeks ago we had a discussion around giving lair actions to low level creatures. So thoughts on this? Too tough for a CR1?

grindylow.jpg

grindylow2.jpg

Attachments

• grindylow.jpg
    grindylow.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 17

Composer99

Explorer
Average damage if all attacks land will be 21-28 per round (assuming they call up the quipper swarm as soon as possible), plus the occasional use of Go For the Throat, figure that triggers once in a 3-round fight. By way of comparison, a copper dragon wyrmling (which is CR 1) will probably get to use its acid breath once and catch 2 creatures in the line for 36 damage one round, followed by two rounds of 7 damage per round - again, if all attacks land.

So it maybe does a bit too much damage for CR 1? Maybe make it CR 2 and bump up its hit points a tad?

Apropos of formatting, I assume Go For the Throat uses a reaction? I feel like the grindylow leader should be its own stat block.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
No opinion on the power level, but regarding the format:

The Leader is in a "variant" sidebar, suggesting it's optional. The Lair Actions are in the main text, but rely on the Leader in that variant sidebar-- which suggests that info is not actually optional! Also, the text for those Lair Actions is physically distanced from the text for the Leader that uses them.
So I agree with @Composer99: It feels like Leader ought to have its own stat block; or at least be presented more prominently and not as a variant. And either way, the Lair Actions should be shown right with the Leader that uses them.

Yaarel

Mind Mage
Adding something like a "lair dweller" as a new category might help. It could be added to various official monsters, generally.

For example, most kobolds might include the "lair dweller" option.

Last edited:

Yaarel

Mind Mage
Looking at the depiction of these goblinoids, I would want to know how these particular goblins got octopus-like tentacles.

It looks like a specific magical transformation. The torso with head and arms seem nonaquatic.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I think that looks nice, and is a more intuitive layout for what you're doing with the entry format.

One other question:
Is there a reason Proficiency isn't in the statblock? It's a useful number, and appears next to CR in recent books (eg, Jabberwocky statblock). Also, for cases where a creature Leader ends up with a CR giving it proficiency higher than the base creature, that number will only need be updated in the statblock with no need to mess with surrounding text / headings.

(And sorry to keep harping on format; I know you asked about the numbers!)

dave2008

Legend
I think that looks nice, and is a more intuitive layout for what you're doing with the entry format.

One other question:
Is there a reason Proficiency isn't in the statblock? It's a useful number, and appears next to CR in recent books (eg, Jabberwocky statblock). Also, for cases where a creature Leader ends up with a CR giving it proficiency higher than the base creature, that number will only need be updated in the statblock with no need to mess with surrounding text / headings.

Yep I agree with this. I know @Sacrosanct did a test run of this format (with proficiency bonus up front), but I personally prefer it in the stat block like recent WotC monsters:

1631567924811.png

Otherwise good job with the 2nd draft. I think the lair actions are fine for this CR.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Publisher

One other question:

All solid points, but I was more concerned on the legendary actions for low CR creatures, and less so on formatting of this particular creature ;)

They are from Harry Potter. Ask JKR.
They actually come from folklore in northern England, which I assume is where JKR got the idea from.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
They actually come from folklore in northern England, which I assume is where JKR got the idea from.

1 Grindylows arent goblinoids
2 Grindylows with tentacles may well be a JKR creation as the folkoric versions were known as diminutive green humanoids with really long long arms but generally no tentacles as such. They’re best known in Yorkshire/Lancashire and Nelly Longarms and Jinny Greenteeth are well known versions who dwell under pondweeds and reach out with long arms to drown children.
3 the word Grindylow may be related to the name Grendel (of Beowulf fame), Grendels mother is also a water creature

Anyway I like this version, especially the second stat block where the lair actions are put under the CR 1 leader block.

Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4